Haks/Mods - Rollout & Expectations

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Invader_Nym

Re: Haks/Mods - Rollout & Expectations

Post by Invader_Nym » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:07 am

Sockss wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:19 pm
Imagine suggesting things the entire server is balanced around are removed for balance.

whew boy
Can you clarify? If the entire server is balanced to account for a narrow set of things, doesn't that only underscore that they present issues?

sad_zav

Post by sad_zav » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:25 am

the game is also balanced around having health

you're trying to fix something that isn't broken to just change the dynamic in an unmeaningful way
Currently plays Peregrine Gwil and Rick Snyder.

Formerly played Mel Aran, Antoine Moreau, and Zanril.

Invader_Nym

Post by Invader_Nym » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:45 am

sad_zav wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:25 am
the game is also balanced around having health

you're trying to fix something that isn't broken to just change the dynamic in an unmeaningful way
I've actually just watched things get tweaked and re-tweaked for around a decade and decided I'd offer some solid advice. If you have a specific counter-argument to anything I've said I'd really like to hear it. Your responses so far:
"I want to rp that I can't get knocked down instead of training in it"
"Yes so let me get some training in it because there's nothing in a wizard's curriculum that teaches me how to be better vs this"
stop trying to ruin the game
I mentioned earlier that some of the big changes that need to happen won't happen due to social pressure from the players. This here is what I'm talking about.

sad_zav

Post by sad_zav » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:00 am

i think you've come up with that reason and convinced yourself that it's the only possible reason why things won't get changed. i don't think you're actually willing to entertain the possibility that you're wrong.

the fact that you suggested that people should be able to CC umd shows how badly you misunderstand the mechanics of this game/server.

the fact that you think haste shouldn't let people cast twice a round means that you want to half the action economy for every mage. why? you claim that it illegitimizes AQ? Okay, so now everyone will reroll to get AQ because AQ mages get to literally do twice as much as non AQ casters.

what has that accomplished? a reroll to do what people could do before only now, they have fewer options because they have to spend 4 feats to do it?

i'm not trying to be mean when i say that you honestly seem like you are suffering for playing this game, because it is not and will never be what you want it to be.
Currently plays Peregrine Gwil and Rick Snyder.

Formerly played Mel Aran, Antoine Moreau, and Zanril.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:07 am

Let’s stop derailing a thread about haks with mechanics discussions. This thread isn’t to detail that - go take it to PMs.

Please stop before I have to put my other hat on.

Thanks.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:22 am

More heads. More clothes. More mounts!

Not too interested in mechanical changes. Would prefer we not mess with things unless we have to.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:03 am

Spyre wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:07 am
Please stop before I have to put my other hat on.
Most important takeaway: MORE HATS.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Invader_Nym

Post by Invader_Nym » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:07 am

sad_zav wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:00 am

i'm not trying to be mean when i say that you honestly seem like you are suffering for playing this game, because it is not and will never be what you want it to be.
Many of my suggestions have made it into the game already, not that I imagine observable reality will be very compelling to you.

HA GOTEM I DIDNT ROLL

Post by HA GOTEM I DIDNT ROLL » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:48 am

If we're to expect NEW HATS we should probably wait for the new models that Beamdog is sending out before spending effort.
Apparently they're replacing all models with new & improved ones?

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:31 am

really should just ignore nym. he's the old coot yelling at water to stop being wet.

Would love to see new tilesets and models honestly. The image of the glabrezu is pretty dope. We need that in this server.

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:16 pm

I would personally like more flexibility in magic. Options to make mass spells, or at least multiple people, a la 5e mechanics where it's a higher spell slot. Able to place visual effects (logically a limit to how many in an area), able to garble speech, make a zone of silence where people outside can't hear what's in, marking ownership of something with a rune and it puts an effect on someone if it's stolen ... Actually, I'mma make a thread on this, especially since that last one could be done with RP anyhow, and I'm spitballing.

Edit: It's here
Last edited by triaddraykin on Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

Mythic
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mythic » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:25 pm

There are some amazing Hak's out there, and Models. But there is something coming from the new Star Wars server,

The Crafting system. If something like that could be done to overhaul the Arelith crafting system, it would be amazing. With Materials having modifiers that you can apply to base blueprints. It would take a lot of balancing and testing, but its so intuitive and unique in a sense of being able to make something that's effectively truly your own.

I'm all for more clothing options, tilesets and buildings. More furniture and placeables from crafting would be amazing <3

Arelith has a lot of options from making things themselves, But there are already amazing hak idea's and ones out there can be just as good. This is a list with some brilliant options on it, Some of which is nsfw mind, so it would need to be filtered out.

https://neverwintervault.org/tags/custo ... -challenge
Howling around all year long

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:14 pm

A fix to make animations and model sizes sync so large models don’t look like Will E. Coyote on a pool of oil when they move.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:35 pm

Is it possible (with haks) to set something up where you can relevel ENTIRELY? As in, even re-allocate level 1 stat/skills/feats? That would be amazing. Currently you cannot do that without -delete_character'ing and that gets rid of all your bank account, stored items, property, portals, used rewards, streams, blah blah blah.

It would be neat, please :3

Nulstarius

Post by Nulstarius » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:33 pm

I am very giddy at the prospect of a lot of this stuff, but could we please get the flying/swimming parts elaborated a bit? Especially the FLYING! OMG. How might that work in effect, and look? Will dragons fly? For real?
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein.

legionetrangere

Post by legionetrangere » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:29 pm

PayadorPerseguido

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:53 pm

Im only a casual player these days but ive seen Haks kill other servers populations as you get a massively reduced number of new players.
So im not looking forward to Arelith getting Haks as im pretty certain the high numbers of new players joining is because it's so easy to start playing here, adding a hurdle that prevents them from just logging in to find out how awesome it is I can't see as a good thing.
I hope im wrong.

Dalek Caan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Dalek Caan » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:04 pm

chris a gogo wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:53 pm
Im only a casual player these days but ive seen Haks kill other servers populations as you get a massively reduced number of new players.
So im not looking forward to Arelith getting Haks as im pretty certain the high numbers of new players joining is because it's so easy to start playing here, adding a hurdle that prevents them from just logging in to find out how awesome it is I can't see as a good thing.
I hope im wrong.
I feel you there, but I think haks will only be a thing if the auto-download works in 99% of all cases. It has to be a stable option, after all.

This is also the reason why I would love to see non-intrusive changes with haks first. To slowly ease people into the new thing. I'm talking spell and feat descriptions, custom class implementations, actual feats for custom epic spells, etc.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:32 pm

chris a gogo wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:53 pm
I'm only a casual player these days but ive seen Haks kill other servers populations as you get a massively reduced number of new players.
I hope im wrong.
Well the reason this is happening is that this is now far more straightforward, as simply by connecting to the server it will automatically add the required content (after a prompt). Really this is not something I ever wanted for Arelith until we had this feature (despite much cajoling).

The culture of this has also changed in broader gaming since NWN was released. Adding community mods is now part and parcel with many games, and done easily via Steam. I don't think many players would think twice about clicking on the 'yes' button.

The important part for me here is the size of that download, and thus the speed. Getting a message that essentially says 'come back in 45 mins and you'll be able to play' will definitely be off-puting to many.

Therefore we shouldn't add content just for the sake of having more, and concentrate only on what we're actually going to use, and consider the utility vs the size of the download.

Many other 'Hak' server would use huge compiled 'packages' like CEP, which even if 75% of the features weren't being used, would still need to be downloaded by players. We won't go down that path!

A little fellow

Post by A little fellow » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:41 pm

As somebody that never used Haks before, because that would require just the basic understanding of how and where to move files, I tested the downloader for the Star Wars server which is crammed full of Haks.

It's as easy as waiting.

My concerns about content that simply does not fit the artistic style or design of what we already have persists, of course, because the Haks they do have are just all over the place in terms of consistency and quality, but still .. very very easy.
Lovin' you is easy 'cause you're dutiful

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DM Symphony » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:27 pm

Hazard wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:35 pm
Is it possible (with haks) to set something up where you can relevel ENTIRELY? As in, even re-allocate level 1 stat/skills/feats? That would be amazing. Currently you cannot do that without -delete_character'ing and that gets rid of all your bank account, stored items, property, portals, used rewards, streams, blah blah blah.

It would be neat, please :3
No, it isn't possible. Sorry.
Jagel wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:14 pm
A fix to make animations and model sizes sync so large models don’t look like Will E. Coyote on a pool of oil when they move.
I'm not sure which models you mean, but this might be the tail-scaled monsters who have invisible bodies of different sizes but tails that instead of looking like a tail, look like, and take up all of the space of the full creature. It may be the case that some of the invisible creatures don't have the right animationscale.

Animationscale is configurable per asset, however, so, yes, this should be fixable with either custom assets or EE's scaling methods, or a combination of the two.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:32 pm

triaddraykin wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:16 pm
I would personally like more flexibility in magic. Options to make mass spells, or at least multiple people, a la 5e mechanics where it's a higher spell slot. Able to place visual effects (logically a limit to how many in an area), able to garble speech, make a zone of silence where people outside can't hear what's in, marking ownership of something with a rune and it puts an effect on someone if it's stolen ... Actually, I'mma make a thread on this, especially since that last one could be done with RP anyhow, and I'm spitballing.

Edit: It's here
hate anything that has to do with 5ed. lets keep our 3.25 ish clean
Yes I can sign

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:37 pm

ive seen amazing hak paks as well thhat had nothing to do with the CEP

Cormanthor and the Dalelands had incredible custom haks put together taking only what fit for that area of the realms

another is a barely breathing server stuck in 2007 because their owner and teams wanted to make money and decided an MMO would be the way to go, but their custom haks again absolutely out of this world named layonara

so its simple enough for our kick Snuggybear dev team to pick and choose and create a set of haks for Arelith that will be equally as good if not better

I vote for our team to do what they think is best, so we can go back to playing and be surprised
Yes I can sign

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:08 am

DM Symphony wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:27 pm

Jagel wrote:
I'm not sure which models you mean, but this might be the tail-scaled monsters who have invisible bodies of different sizes but tails that instead of looking like a tail, look like, and take up all of the space of the full creature. It may be the case that some of the invisible creatures don't have the right animationscale.

Animationscale is configurable per asset, however, so, yes, this should be fixable with either custom assets or EE's scaling methods, or a combination of the two.
Upscaled creatures like totem shapes once you reach 20+ lvls, warpigs and the like. Same for downscaled creatures, they just look like they move very far with each step.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:49 am

Jagel wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:08 am
DM Symphony wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:27 pm

Jagel wrote:

Upscaled creatures like totem shapes once you reach 20+ lvls, warpigs and the like. Same for downscaled creatures, they just look like they move very far with each step.

I always thought it was just the scooby doo walk
Yes I can sign