OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Star Wars: Legends of the Old Republic

Post by Liareth » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:33 am

NOW LIVE!

Do you like RP? (obviously) Do you like Star Wars? (oooobbbviouussllly) Want some Star Wars in your NWN RP? (who wouldn't?)

SWLOR is leaving closed beta and launching to the public on November 23rd after a development period of several months. Set in the Old Republic around 3965 BBY (for those of you who aren't massive nerds, just before KOTOR1), the world is rife with chaos - Mandolorian raids are commonplace throughout the Outer Rim; danger awaits around every corner. New characters arrive on CZ-220, a mining facility, and from there may progress through a quest line to arrive on the first planet - Viscara, a frontier world unexplored and ripe for conflict and expansion.

The server features many custom systems, including: a completely custom style of character progression - think Ultima Online, or The Elder Scrolls - including backgrounds, skills, perks, and force powers; nine custom Star Wars races, including cyborgs and wookies; custom content and animations; new chat channels like the Holonet and planet-wide comms; a custom language system like ours but without the unintelligible gibberish - think how Kingdom Come: Deliverance works; base building like fixtures but better, including structures like resource drills and silos, control towers, and more; player housing; a deep crafting system - almost all gear is crafted, including lightsabers, and some requiring rare materials that drop deep in dungeons; a questing system; and faction alignment - choose between nine factions at character creation, plus group with other players and start your own factions!

A number of features are planned for the future, including: multiple planets; proceduraly generated missions/dungeons; a surgery system to allow doctors to augment patients with physical and cybernetic implants, perhaps even to the extent of removing a limb and replacing it with a mechanical one!; an extensive space system - buy a ship and sail the universe, mining asteroids and fighting pirates along the way; additional races, skills, and perks; and crafting expansion, including the ability to set up production chains in player bases to produce different components - make your own ammo factory and defend it with turrets!

The server is written entirely in C# and is open source. The project is led by Zunath who coded most of it. I've written a few systems - like the language system - and I'm helping out with the server setup. There are around ten other active contributors on the project who regularly work on things like custom content, races, areas, quests, and dialogue. Project development is very active and has been from the start, with an average of about 10-15 commits (changes) going in daily.

Check out the website here: https://starwarsnwn.com/
Join the Discord here: https://discord.gg/MyQAM6m
Check out the guides section of the forums: https://forums.starwarsnwn.com/c/out-of ... ter/guides
And finally, browse the code here: https://github.com/zunath/SWLOR_NWN

Here's a link to Kenji's character creation spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =163739439

To close: Image. If for some strange reason you don't speak Shyriiwook - otherwise known as Wookiee, one of the available languages - then let me translate into Galactic Basic: thanks for reading, and I hope you check the server out on launch day!

(note: posting with permission from the admin team, so this is an officially approved shill!)

Cerk Evermoore

Re: Star Wars: Legends of the Old Republic

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:14 pm

Is there anywhere we can look at what the new classes are? I kinda have a strange desire to play the fattest Hutt in the galaxy.

Dalek Caan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Dalek Caan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:22 pm

Cerk Evermoore wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:14 pm
Is there anywhere we can look at what the new classes are? I kinda have a strange desire to play the fattest Hutt in the galaxy.
This may sound odd to some, but I totally feel you.

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:43 pm

There aren't any character classes or levels - you can build whatever character you'd like to build based on the skills and perks that are available. There is a skill limit and skill decay, so if you hit your skill limit, you can freeze skills at max, and those unfrozen will decay in order to make room for the thing you're currently training.

You can find the races here:

https://starwarsnwn.com/species

the backgrounds here:

https://starwarsnwn.com/backgrounds

and the skills/perks here:

https://starwarsnwn.com/skills
https://starwarsnwn.com/perks

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:14 pm

WHAT! This looks dope. However, with the Holdo maneuver now canon, how are you going to balance lightspeed?

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:21 pm

Many Bothan spies died to create this module.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:50 pm

I'll definetly check this out but unfortunately won't stick around,have too much to do already and am invested on Arelith atm on my free time :lol: I really like the leveling concept
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:56 pm

I love the concept and am massively in support of it, but didn't the Star Wars-based servers that existed in the early days of NWN get hit by Cease & Desists? I'm kinda concerned about it happening again.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Punished Hans

Post by Punished Hans » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:28 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:56 pm
I love the concept and am massively in support of it, but didn't the Star Wars-based servers that existed in the early days of NWN get hit by Cease & Desists? I'm kinda concerned about it happening again.
But now it's owned by Disney.

[Sitcom laughter]

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:29 pm

UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:52 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:
I'm not actually sure that the Cease and Desist letters would have gone anywhere- the standards required to prove Trademark infringement would've been hard to swing, as it's unlikely a privately hosted NWN server could cause confusion in the minds of consumers about the source or sponsorship.

In terms of copyright infringement, it would've been a little more shifty, but the complete lack of commercial enterprise and profits would've been unlikely to generate any steam - and spending money to shut down publicity for your fictional universe is the opposite of profitable, or they'd have to take down every fan-fic site on the net.

It would be like saying you can't use your sourcebooks to RP your game over the internet because you used third party software (any messenging client) to achieve it.

To be honest, I'm surprised they even dispensed the time necessary for the C&D in the first place back in the day. Lucas' history typically goes after commercial endeavors where they stand to make a chunk of change by claiming derivative works. It's worth noting that a number of the C&D's they send never go anywhere and are tossed out by the court if they actually make it to a hearing.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:50 am

Baron Saturday wrote:
I guess that's one of the great things about being an open source project. It doesn't matter what Disney does or does not do - the code and assets are all out there, and if this server does get slammed with a C&D, it would be trivial for someone else to stand up a replacement.

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:58 am

Myself and some friends are starting a Mandalorian clan on the server, if anybody is interested in that.

Drop yer sissy jedi robes and lightsabers, join us instead.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:47 pm

UNLIMITED POWER! STEW IT!

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:10 am

ONCE MORE THE SITH SHALL RULE THE GALAXY!

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:14 am

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:14 am

Is there a way to get the Haks without using Steam?

Zaravella
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Zaravella » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:08 am

Clearly there will be an imbalance in the force if I do not join.. as there are too many sith...

This Jedi with a 20000000000+ midichlorian count is coming... to balance the force.

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is only, the Force

<3
"Power is not revealed by striking hard or striking often; But by striking true."
-Honore de Balzac-

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:12 am

Tarkus the dog wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:14 am
Is there a way to get the Haks without using Steam?
There is a server up now on the latest beta build which uses nwsync. You can preload all of the custom content using nwsync to have it ready for launch day.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:01 am

I'm not sure what nwsync is or how to use it. I was hoping for something similar to what other servers offer, a simple download of all the haks without using Steam ( since I don't have the game from Steam ).

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:21 am

To use NWSync you connect to the server as you normally would. And that’s it. It automatically detects any missing files you need and downloads it into the proper directories.

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DM Symphony » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:04 am

Tarkus the dog wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:01 am
I'm not sure what nwsync is or how to use it. I was hoping for something similar to what other servers offer, a simple download of all the haks without using Steam ( since I don't have the game from Steam ).

More information here:

https://forums.starwarsnwn.com/t/switch ... -nwsync/89

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:25 am

Did it this afternoon. SUPER EASY.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:26 am

Oh wow that's some next level technology. Thanks for the 101 for dummies, i didn't know that is a thing.

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:46 am

Do note, to preload you will need to opt-in to the beta branch of NWN to start the process. Having said that, there is a nifty guide on how do do just that on the SWLOR forums which can be found here: https://forums.starwarsnwn.com/t/switch ... -nwsync/89