Evil roleplay change suggestion.

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

EBK Cartel

Re: Evil roleplay change suggestion.

Post by EBK Cartel » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:59 pm

Ork wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:55 pm
If you play a character that will incite conflict (i.e. necromancers) be prepared to incite conflict. It isn't because you're an "EVIL CHARACTER" player, it's because you're playing an "EVIL CHARACTER". If you get bitter about a PvP encounter, that's on you to fix it. Can't hash being smote by a paladin because you're chillin' with your skeledudes? Don't be a necromancer. Other people that can deal with that aspect enjoy them well enough.
So - you're generally saying that either enjoy being a target for other players or do put restrictions on yourself?

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:01 pm

Yup. When you pump out quality roleplay as a villain, people will be less likely to just stomp your corpse into the ground. Make your character provocative and interesting & I guarantee that others will play ball. If you dress down in 63 evil and cackle maniacally about being a Talos Worshiper, you'll find people rolling their eyes as they proceed to corpse bash.
Last edited by Ork on Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EBK Cartel

Post by EBK Cartel » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:02 pm

I think it just proves my point that it's better to separate players so they won't fall to a fallacy that high level guys not going to non-stop jerk you around because they, well, can)))

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:04 pm

I don't at all agree at all. And you'll find you're really the only person that believes that here. Arelith has had a long and successful run with a large number of villains remembered with infamy to this day. We love "good" villains.

Loyal To The Bane

Post by Loyal To The Bane » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:06 pm

Tbh, it just sounds like you're not cut out for the ''evil character'' life. I'd suggest trying something else. I've personally never had an issue and I've played 'Evil' characters on Arelith for the greater part of the last decade.

EBK Cartel

Post by EBK Cartel » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:08 pm

You're just dropping some assumptions about my personal qualities, basically implying that I am a bad player, instead of giving anything constructive.

MineTurtle

Post by MineTurtle » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:11 pm

I asked if you tried surrendering, because typically if you're doing an 'EVIL DEED' [TM] and you're approched by 'TEAM GOOD', [TM] then conflict will transpire. If you ward up, refuse their requests, it's a general indication that such conflict will be violent. They'll be a brief PVP and either you cackle over their corpses, or perish [IE, escape back to your lair of doom] switch alts for a while or go do something else, then come back and resume evil.

Or, you'll surrender/drop wards/lie/talk your way out of it, in which most players will engage in some roleplay. They might capture you, [There's probably a chance to flee] you might even get as far as a jail [For no more than 24 hours, often less.] Perhaps you'll get to be the star of a public trial? Maybe you'll manipulate your captors? Who knows.

Either way, most people on Arelith won't engage in PvP with someone who clearly isn't trying to pick a fight. And if you are being approched by players who go 'Lol, u evil I Paladin, SMASH' then it might be worth pointing that out to our DM team, because such isn't generally considered nice, or good for storytelling. But if they approch and draw sword and tell you to put the Skeletons down, and you tell them to commence relations with their parents and fire off a spell, PVP will result.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:15 pm

EBK Cartel wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:02 pm
I think it just proves my point that it's better to separate players so they won't fall to a fallacy that high level guys not going to non-stop jerk you around because they, well, can)))
It's pretty uncommon, actually. The majority of players are reluctant, to a fault, to initiate PvP.

It's unfortunate that you've had a bad experience so early on, but I can tell you it's not the norm.

Now, I can guarantee you that the staff is never going to follow the suggestion you've made, and if you genuinely would prefer to play on a server where good and evil are geographically separated, then this is not the place for you. However, you've suggested a solution to your own problem. Why don't you play your evil necromancer down in the Underdark? You would find the environment far more welcoming.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:18 pm

Sorry to pile on, but.. I do understand where this is coming from but for better or worse Arelith is as much about community simulation as it is about dungeon diving. When you learn the ropes you see how easy it is to be evil in plain sight, but you do have to learn discretion. If you want to be a part of Cordor or Earthkin lands you use your undead and in secret and conduct studies behind closed doors if you're a necromancer, at least until you can defend yourself or push others around. Other evil types learn discretion as well, it's really not difficult and can be just as much a boon to storytelling as a drawback depending on how willing you are to get on board with the culture.

But there's no constant inquisition or slaughter of evil. High level players get exposed as warlocks or necromancers or whatever else all the time, but if they've built up a network of friends they're able to survive (though likely are banished or shunned from this or that place.) If you think necromancers can't survive and network pay more attention, join the arcane tower and see what's going on in there, go to places like Sibiyad with less morality etc. The Underdark is always an option too and is quite accommodating to a large variety of evil concepts especially since humans are so ever present.

As someone who plays a whole range of alignments I personally prefer evil, and rarely play someone outwardly such or where evil is the first thing on the descriptor list. I love evil characters of neutral gods who are evil by personality not because of divine worship. Stuff like that, everything doesn't have to be black or white, paladin vs necromancer. I would also say playing lawful and good is more difficult at times than evil, especially if you have a position of power, because evil and evil neutral or CG people are constantly trying to rile you up or get one over on you. It's all part of the game though!

In short- on Arelith you're playing the long con. You want to be evil, you have to plan ahead. The Joker was a small-time crook at one point, that's where you are at level 3, start planning then for the evil you'll do in epics.

MajorArcana

Post by MajorArcana » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:21 pm

EBK Cartel wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:08 pm
You're just dropping some assumptions about my personal qualities, basically implying that I am a bad player, instead of giving anything constructive.
Here's some constructive advice then:

Speaking as someone who plays almost exclusively villains or people of questionable morals, I can't say I've ever had a problem with being kill-bashed at lower levels by higher level "good guys". And even if I was, it would break the 'Be Nice' rule in some contexts.

Being a blatant necromancer and walking around with undead will cause anyone of a good alignment to harass or kill you ICly. I'm not sure why this is even a complaint. If you don't want to be slapped by good guys at low levels because of undead, don't use undead. You can absolutely do what is necessary to blend in until you're more confident in your ability to slap them right back.

There are very few people that can pull off being a blatant bad-guy - only two or three individuals come to mind that play currently. And even then, usually only after they hit epics and can put their money where there mouth is. There's no shame in being secretive, subtle, or careful when you could easily bite the dust at any time starting out.

And personally, blatant evil necromancer is something of a tired trope. It'd be a lot more refreshing to see/hear of less obvious methods. Instead of starting with backstory as a necromancer, you can roleplay the development and interest of becoming one as you progress.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:22 pm

There's the crux of the situation. If you're a necromancer and want to level with your zombies, there's nothing stopping you from picking Andunor as a start where people won't pick on you for it. If you want to do it on the surface, you'll have to acknowledge that people will give you crap for it, and will quite possibly end up killing you if you don't back down or hide the fact.

Everyone shouldn't be forced to be evil underground just because you don't want to take the hassle of being openly evil in a predominantly good area while leveling. You chose this hassle for yourself when you chose to make a necromancer openly summoning undead on the surface when you could have chosen to start elsewhere, or not to use undead in high-traffic areas.

EBK Cartel

Post by EBK Cartel » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:27 pm

Okay, let me give you a prime example of a situation I've encountered. I came into low level location to wrap up a writ. Guy with his high level friend follow me. The following situation : Opposing party : git out or we stomp you. Me: Ok. I go away from them they blast me up and bash corpse after. Fun))) And, yeah, I don't think there is anything wrong if I wish to play not that much complicated character. Upon joining the server I never seen a rule about - you either make overly complicated 90000-dimensional character or get out. Even the whole D&D setting is considered to be the most classic and straightforward basis for roleplay in comparison with WoD for example.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:32 pm

Seems like the total separation of alignments and characters is not the mature answer to your problem. However you may have an easier time trying to play in the Underdarker instead.

As for Sencliff and the pirate tattoos. Most people should expect playing a pirate not to be a similar playthrough to that of an Outcast. You should expect to pvp, it's like leveling a goblin on the surface. You know you are going to die to some level 30 paladins, but that's the risk you take and the price you pay.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:39 pm

You're free to play a very simple, basic character that just does dungeon crawls, as long as you stay in character while you're doing it. Lots of people do that, and they can be loads of fun to play with, because sometimes RPers just want to dungeon crawl, too, without having to listen to someone's tragic backstory along the way.
EBK Cartel wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:27 pm
Okay, let me give you a prime example of a situation I've encountered. I came into low level location to wrap up a writ. Guy with his high level friend follow me. The following situation : Opposing party : git out or we stomp you. Me: Ok. I go away from them they blast me up and bash corpse after. Fun)))
As for this incident you've brought up, based on the attitude you've displayed in this thread, I don't believe for a second that you hadn't given them a dozen reasons to smash you. However, I still encourage you to contact the DMs when this happens, if you feel it was unjustified. If you refuse to cooperate with the community in helping to identify malicious players, then you have absolutely no right to blame the rest of the community for the actions of those few.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:59 pm

EBK Cartel wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:27 pm
Okay, let me give you a prime example of a situation I've encountered. I came into low level location to wrap up a writ. Guy with his high level friend follow me. The following situation : Opposing party : git out or we stomp you. Me: Ok. I go away from them they blast me up and bash corpse after. Fun))) And, yeah, I don't think there is anything wrong if I wish to play not that much complicated character. Upon joining the server I never seen a rule about - you either make overly complicated 90000-dimensional character or get out. Even the whole D&D setting is considered to be the most classic and straightforward basis for roleplay in comparison with WoD for example.
How did you know the alignments of the characters that attacked you?

If we made a rule as you suggest, how do we enforce the roleplay of 'neutral' on the server?

Are we not merely instead saying, 'If you pvp other characters poorly, we're sending you to the underdark?'

Can not Good/Neutral characters also get into internal conflicts too?

How do you propose we police the roleplay over a thousand players to the minuta of what we consider 'Evil?'

Some of the best conflicts around, some of the best stories I've ever had the privilage of being part of on this server have had Nothing to do with DMs, and everything to do with players playing evil characters. Or even players just playing different characters! I've seen Lawful good vs Lawful Good go toe to toe in pvp to wonderful, wonderful effect. I've seen the battle between Lawful good and Chaotic. Neutral and Good. And more besides these things.

One of the greatest strenghts of Arelith, I've always said, is that to a large extent every DM here could just quit running ANY quests at all and, whilst the server would suffer surely, it would still go on. Why? Because we have the tools and the backgrounds and the encouragement for players to make their own conflict! Their own stories! Their own Drama! This is one of the most beautiful perpetuating strenghts of Arelith. That the Dms are useful for driving player stories, but Not Neccesary.

Removing Evil from the equiation would almost certainly lead to a drearer, more stale server.

Most of your issue seems to boil down to the argument, 'If we remove evil characters we won't get lame pvp.'

This is a simply wrong.

PvP is not dependent on alignment. I will admit that evil characters are more prone to engage in it, sure. Goes with the territory. But as I said above, conflicts between other alignments are (rightfully!) common. And bad pvp is definatly not based on alignment, of that I can assure you!

Your issue isn't with alignments.

It's with poor pvp.

So don't deal with alignments.

Deal with Poor PvP.

How do you do that? Well - send us a report of the incident when it occurs, with the names of those involved, and any info you consider precient. We'll look into it and we'll work to fix the problem at hand.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

JubJub

Post by JubJub » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:01 pm

if you think it was wrong, report it. Some players will be jerks regardless if they are good or evil. The Arcane Archer who use to hide in the Udos ruins and pvp the lowbies that walked by comes to mind. If high lvls are lurking in low lvl areas simply to find easy targets they might need a DM to talk to them.

There are plenty of openly evil people who walk the surface, but there are penalties. If you are a notorious bandit robbing travelers, you can't expect every city will welcome them with open arms. So there are trade offs for being open or hidden evil.

rat0a
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by rat0a » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:29 pm

I been playing Paladins on the server for 4 years

and usually Team Good is the one that gets shafted and evil Team is the one OP

That been said all of my Paladin PC's rarelly go into PvP….my current one maybe once or twice in 7months and those PvP happened because she was a guard in Bendir No doing inquisition "Let's find bad guys and kill them all"
Hana Bora Tormite WM 2011 Retired
Kyra Fryar Tempurian Kensai WM 2012 Retired
Timon Colt Tormite Paladin 2014 Wanderer Sem-Retired
Aldred Ogden Tormite Paladin 2015 on&off
Theela Kenson Tormite Paladin 2018 Main

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:02 pm

rat0a wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:29 pm
usually Team Good is the one that gets shafted and evil Team is the one OP
Real strange that people who play majorly on one side of the good/evil axis usually see the grass as greener on the other side of the spectrum.

:thinking:

rat0a
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by rat0a » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:04 pm

Nitro wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:02 pm
rat0a wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:29 pm
usually Team Good is the one that gets shafted and evil Team is the one OP
Real strange that people who play majorly on one side of the good/evil axis usually see the grass as greener on the other side of the spectrum.

:thinking:

I must be the most unlucky Good doer then :D
Hana Bora Tormite WM 2011 Retired
Kyra Fryar Tempurian Kensai WM 2012 Retired
Timon Colt Tormite Paladin 2014 Wanderer Sem-Retired
Aldred Ogden Tormite Paladin 2015 on&off
Theela Kenson Tormite Paladin 2018 Main

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:05 pm

Seeing as alignment is a reflection of character actions, players that engage in pvp or kill lowbies can naturally be assumed to be of an evil alignment.
\

dysmetria

Post by dysmetria » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:18 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:05 pm
Seeing as alignment is a reflection of character actions, players that engage in pvp or kill lowbies can naturally be assumed to be of an evil alignment.
Why is that an assumption?

A paladin could wander into half a dozen lower level drow while wandering in the UD and it wouldn't make them evil to engage in pvp with the drow.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:01 am

It's probably roughly true that evil aligned characters are, by nature, more likely to engage in pvp. They are often more the active, conflict drivers in stories.

I think at a stretch you could even say that because of that, evil aligned characters are marginaly more likely to be involved in poor pvp, if only through law of averages.

But it's a massive, massive leap to go from 'somewhat more likely to' to 'Absolutly all evil characters do terrible pvp.' And honestly I think some people do tie in this idea that evil character = evil player. And that sometimes (not all the time) there is an amount of 'the grass is greener on the other side.'
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Tomato

Post by Tomato » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:12 am

Lol.

EnigmaticSpirit
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by EnigmaticSpirit » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:25 pm

Having played both sides, good, evil, neutral, apathetic, and all over the spectrum, I agree that Team Good does get a severe shaft.

A lot of the time, Team Evil know they have to git gud to survive, so they get themselves in gear. Organized groups, dedicated builds for killing people. There's not really room for a casual member of Team Evil. Half the time, they're killing each other, too.

Team Good, by contrast, has a lot of people who enjoy the more social elements of the server, so when the UDers and Team Evil do raid or go out doing their dastardly deeds (which sometimes is awesome and most enjoyable), the more casual players tend to get murdered.

Even the members of Team Good that do try to get stuff done tend to find themselves in the minority. This has only changed recently with Darrowdeep's growth and Mel'nozz disappearing.

The server is cyclic in it's nature. One side will always have the edge over the other. It's the tides of the server. People go to the booming factions. It's hard to find yourself wanting to bolster the flagging ones. We want to be on the winning team, after all... It takes a strong person to lose, consistently. We all need to be prepared to lose. It may even be repeatedly.

If nothing else, carry a lens. Or the old haste+invis. And make yourself some evil buddies. They'll probably help you along. There are surface-side factions that'll gladly take in struggling lowbies. And they have surface-side settlements available to them. Take a poke around.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:43 pm

Poor PvP happens here and there. But... is it really such a big deal?
You can't win all the time - bad things happen to good adventurers.
This is an RP server and our goal is forging a compelling narrative, not to partake in some competitive LoL type PvP fest.

Darth Vader totally pwned Luke Skywalker at the end of Episode V. At the time Vader was much higher lvl and had much better gear than Luke and I don't think that Luke found the RP enjoyable either, but Yoda forgot to give him that lens.
But you know what? It made him a much more compelling character than the optimally built Rey who got epic gear handed to her by her high lvl pals and keeps winning all the time.

One way or the other, you are the writer of your character's story and get the final say. There's always the option to just respawn and pretend that your toon has a hangover. Your call.