Forum Security!

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Tomato

Forum Security!

Post by Tomato » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:15 pm

13 characters at least, numbers, large and small letters, and at least one special character.
No obvious words!

Artenides

Re: Forum Security!

Post by Artenides » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:51 am

A side note here. Yes, it is indeed important to use stronger passwords. What would be more important is NOT TO USE the same password on different sites. If you use the same password everywhere, once a site is hacked, the attackers would know ALL logins you have.

Q: Hold on! So if I have a hundred online accounts (arelith, facebook, spotify, bank, etc) do you expect me to remember a 100 different passwords? Are you crazy?
A: Well yes, and no (and no, I am not crazy, I even have a document stating that!). There are two good ways to deal with account security. Password managers and pattern passwords.

Q: What is a password manager?
A: It is a software either installed locally or available on the internet that can create secure passwords for you and store them in an encrypted format.

Q:Okay. What is a pattern password?
A: It is a technique that can be used to create unique passwords. In this case instead of remembering a hundred passwords, all you need to remember is how to create them using a pattern.

Q: Example please!
A: Sure! So lets say you would like to create a password for arelith.com
In your pattern you are going to use a constant string, the main colour of the website you are about to log in and the domain name.

Constant string: Come up with a phrase that you usually remember. In this example I am going to use the "I love Batman but hate Superman". Take the first letters of every words. My constant string is: ILBBHS.
This constant string will be used every time I create a pattern password, hence it is constant!

Colour of the website: Grey, take the first two letters: gr

Domain (arelith.com): Take the second and the third letter of the domain and count the number of characters after the dot: re3
If the domain name starts with a vowel, add an exclamation mark, otherwise add a question mark: !

Combine these as you want, your password for arelith.com will be: ILBBHSgrre3!
Using the same pattern, your password for facebook.com would be: ILBBHS bl ac 3?

And here is the trick! Use a different pattern for your bank account than you are using for anything else! Come up with your own patterns!
--
Plays as: [No active char atm]
"I am a software developer and a DnD nerd. That means I am equally qualified to deal with bugs and bugbears!"

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:58 pm

Personally I can recommend Pcrypt as a password manager. For personal use it's absolutely free and one of the best managers out there =)

Here's a link: https://pcrypt.com/

Tomato

Post by Tomato » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:48 pm

Artenides wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:51 am
Thanks man, I was lazy.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:05 pm

hunter2 is the most secure password

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:58 pm

I am not on a team.
I do not win, I do not lose.
I tell a story, and when I'm lucky,
Play a part in the story you tell too.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:17 pm

Pull on your rollerblades and half-gloves.
It's time to hack some forums.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill