How does one get henchmen?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Vrass

How does one get henchmen?

Post by Vrass » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:56 pm

So i seen people running around with their own personal npc henchmen and want some of my own... where do i get them?

PinataPlethora

Re: How does one get henchmen?

Post by PinataPlethora » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:11 pm

Were they Tribal Warriors? Those are from the Barbarian Tribesman path. Rangers can also turn animals into henchmen with Animal Empathy.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:15 pm

There are also henchmen available in the castles, and I've been meaning to add a few more to other guildhouses for some time.

We'll see!

Dragonovith
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dragonovith » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:26 pm

Irongron wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:15 pm
There are also henchmen available in the castles, and I've been meaning to add a few more to other guildhouses for some time.

We'll see!
I can't speak for Gloom, but the Henchmen in Darrowdeep are bugged. They always despawn a few seconds after a server rest like this:

White_935

Post by White_935 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:49 am

How about opening a mercenery hall (npc guild) where you can rent henchmen of various professions
Such as guard, porter, etc.

Could also be a nice addition to have some unique henchmen for those with the noble trait/epic reputation aswell.

Amineh123

Post by Amineh123 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:42 am

+1
If they let True Flame use it xD

kiljaedon

Post by kiljaedon » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:15 pm

I would be for this but it should not be as strong as conjure focused summons. Maybe make it uber expensive minus nobility trait with huge cost t reduction

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:29 pm

Make them flee the battle field when it gets too dicey for too long and you clearly are treating then like cannon fodder.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by The Kriv » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:44 am

Ohh! High Persuade Skill... or high Intimidate skill... or just really high charisma modifiers! All should come into play with Henchmen! What was it in 1st edition? "Retainers!" Yeah... Retainers were the henchmen you can acquire through RP, and higher charisma meant more retainers!.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:16 pm

The Kriv wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:44 am
Ohh! High Persuade Skill... or high Intimidate skill... or just really high charisma modifiers! All should come into play with Henchmen! What was it in 1st edition? "Retainers!" Yeah... Retainers were the henchmen you can acquire through RP, and higher charisma meant more retainers!.
I think using persaude to hire for lower prices could be brilliant. Make them unfeasible otherwise.

If we really wantes to get into it, the more successful missions/hiring you do that result in them dying, the worse your rep gets and higher the prices get as a "risk fee". That and, or a deposit fee you do not get back till you return them to local mercenary hiring post (as multiple towns would have them). Perhaps having ine in your town could be a settlement upgrade.

kiljaedon

Post by kiljaedon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:05 pm

I see quite a few players run mercenary groups that advertise taking up jobs and would prefer this somehow becomes a viable alternative in the realm of RP. No one really roleplays as a defenseless noble that needs a bodyguard or mercenaries hired and the few encounters that could happen the party is either too low or too high resulting in an awkward system.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:12 pm

kiljaedon wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:05 pm
I see quite a few players run mercenary groups that advertise taking up jobs and would prefer this somehow becomes a viable alternative in the realm of RP. No one really roleplays as a defenseless noble that needs a bodyguard or mercenaries hired and the few encounters that could happen the party is either too low or too high resulting in an awkward system.
With hiravle mercenaries. Non solo builds becime a lot more viable and said builds woukd still prefer to hire real players too.

White_935

Post by White_935 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:58 am

kiljaedon wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:05 pm
Hah I actually had a rather combat useless noble at another server waaaaay back in 1.69 with the prc classes that included a “noble” base class
He relies entirely on the cohort system there to get by. He had a knight bodyguard whom did most of the fighting.

Was a lot of fun :p
I would honestly love if there was made a noble class in arelith who summons guards and soldiers but have no combat skills themselves beyond motivation bonuses to their followers and party members.

I believe baron Saturday here knows him Ryvurn rhayrrealm as he made a roleplay card for him :-)