The Church of Ilmater

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Joheshua

The Church of Ilmater

Post by Joheshua » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:35 am

I am seeking to create a deep backstory for my character, to do that I need to know how people feel about the Lord Ilmater and his Church.

I could read a wiki or I could ask you, the people of Arileth, how do you feel about this broken God of the forgotten realms?

Joheshua

Re: The Church of Ilmater

Post by Joheshua » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:44 am

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:45 am

Followers of Ilmater were taught to help all who suffered, without regard for who they were or how they suffered. They were to heal and treat the wounded and the sick and give comfort to the dying. They also had to give kind counseling to those grieving or depressed, lonely or lost, and give shelter and alms to those who'd lost everything. They did what had to be done when no one else would. Thus a typical follower of Ilmater was generous and sharing, giving all they could to the poor, and they placed others before themselves.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:58 am

There are a decent number of characters on the server who follow the Triad, including some followers of Ilmater; although they will likely be a bit harder to find than they once were as the characters who follow the Triad have noticeably decreased in public presence following a server update a while back.

Overall Ilmater is a widely accepted deity though, you're not going to find yourself exiled or that sort for following him and are likely to find other followers sooner or later.

I'm hesitant to give much more information than this, as generally specifics are encouraged to be discovered in game(and it's more fun that way!)

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:02 am

Twily wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:58 am
I'm hesitant to give much more information than this, as generally specifics are encouraged to be discovered in game(and it's more fun that way!)
Very cool

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:58 pm

Most ilmater presence is on the main Island and a tinge of it just outside Sibayad. Considering the culture of the Skal, if you started there, you could consider yourself a missionary of sorts as Ilmater in quite a few a ways might be a bit against the grain of the culture, but nothing that would get you outright ousted from the community.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

Dagonlives

Post by Dagonlives » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:09 pm

Thematically Ilmateri are all about poverty and alms to the poor and innocent. This isn't really that fun to play on Arelith as gold is sort of the primary way of interacting with others and influencing the setting. They have a very utilitarian outlook in the Realms, and are about the concept of reducing pain and alleviating suffering. Thus, they almost always come into conflict with followers of Loviatar., despite the very similar approaches the faiths view pain. (Lovitarans seeing it as something to inflict and overcome, the Ilmtari seeing it as something to reduce and bear.)

That said, Ilmateri make great Monks, Clerics, and Paladins, and often maintain a very ascetic outlook on life, with minimal possessions (A paladin might have his armor, his weapon, and the equipment he needs to fight evil, but little else! A monk or cleric would need even less.)

The original Specialty Priest class was the 'Painbearer' which used their fists/bound hands as their weapon of choice, specialized in healing and healing magic and was usually a cleric/monk multiclass build.

The Ilmateri faith is the origin of the Yellow Rose Order, which is probably the most prolific 'Lawful Good' monk order in Faerun.

Personally from an OOC perspective:

I think Ilmater is a great god if the player focuses on how that can generate conflict and interest in his faith, but it can be an 'NPC' trap. Just donating gold to NPCs or causes and being a poor citizen on the side of the road is not interesting to me. Arelith generally requires money and resources to make an impact.

However, they have a very dedicated 'mission' which can be endlessly pursued in the form of alleviating the isle's suffering. Whether that is done through missions to assist new adventurers, or more aggressively the Ilmateri target followers of evil gods and strife to prevent said suffering before it occurs, is up to the character. Gold can be 'hoarded' but under the idea that it is rather in the 'trust' rather then the possession of said Ilmateri follower.

A good example of this would be an Ilmateri cleric who sells wands and magics and scrolls to wealthy citizens and uses those proceeds to fund his personal charities for the poor or oppressed. After all, you are under no compulsion to aid those who are wealthy or capable of aiding themselves.

Ways an Ilmateri Adventurer might typically express their faith:

1. Collecting donations for the underprivileged from adventurers

2. Offering blessings and divine healing freely to any citizen, without distinguishing. Richer citizens may be charged to help fund missions for the poor.

3. Assisting bereaved travelers or adventurers without expectation of gain.

4. Take the place of an innocent or another who is going to suffer, accepting their pain as your own. (This is a hard one to do)

5. Starting a mission or leading a political movement dedicated to spreading the will of your god, which would mean helping the weak, tne sick, and the meek. This might mean starting a church store of which the proceeds is used to influence key political figures in addition to helping the impoverished, thus allowing the policies you desire to help the poor become more prevalent.

Class examples and how they might play out in Arelith:

Monk: A young Ilmateri monk from the Monastery of the Yellow Rose makes the trek to Arelith, to seek enlightenment in distant lands. He has few material possessions, wearing a sackcloth robe, and his wooden hat is also his eating bowl. He believes this minimalist lifestyle makes him closer to his God. He uses his fists in combat or his walking stave, and always attempts to disarm or spare his foe rather then kill them if at all possible. That said, he is not indecisive and will end lives if it means that it reduces worldly suffering. His martial arts are beautiful to watch, dancer-like, flowing and gentle, and open palmed strikes and fingertips are used as much as a closed fist, striking at pressure points where the 'ki energy' flows.

Cleric: A middle aged Cleric of Ilmateri is sent from the church because word has spread of an evil faith festering the the cities of the lands. He knows that these heathens will drag innocent souls into the hells, away from the gods of good where they should rightly sit and be loved by. He starts a simple mission selling his blessings as wands and scrolls, and his talents as a healer are rare and prized, so he is often taken on adventurers by more seasoned warriors. His utilitarian outlook, kindness and generosity is appreciated, and he uses this politically, to get what he requires for his church and to persecute these faiths causing suffering in the lands of Arelith.

Paladin: A recently dubbed knight of Ilmater arrives in Arelith. While he is a minimalist in his clothing and his manner, his armor is finely wrought, and his steed is still of good quality. He seeks out quests of value from citizens, aquiring the armor, arms and other equipment he needs to protect the innocent and fight evil. He seeks out other members of his faith to offer his protection, and also of the Triad. Eventually, through diliigence he rises to a command position within a small settlement or city, and serves as a protector of the innocent, and a wandering knight in service to Good, leading his party of followers to proactively fight the foes of Good.
My Rp kinda like droppin' a betta in an otherwise serene fish-tank.

Current Concepts:
Jhaamdath Wenchslayer, Drow weaponmaster and pirate captain

Eruantien Chil Ryilnn Aelorothi Aleansha, War-mage and Diviner of Evermeet. .

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:33 pm

A lot of information here thanks this will definitely help me, just for the sake of talking about where I came from when and how I got to Skal, is there a main church of Ilmater somewhere on the Island in Condor or somewhere?

Would like to be able to reference where I was sent from on my mission trip to proselytize the island.

Thanks a ton.

Germain

Post by Germain » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:41 am

As the Realms is so heavily influenced by the gods, with living proof of them shown every day, I think a cleric/priest type would be awesome. There are so many ways you can go about playing it out... but for me personally, I've enjoyed an approach of "I'm not the main character in the story". What I mean by that is, you can find a really enjoyable experience by being the guiding hand/influence of other big names characters (etc...). Let characters come to you for things by being available... preach, show a presence, pray, give blessings, etc.... No matter how you approach it, I think if it's something you are interested in doing - then you should go forth and be awesome.
Current Character: Umrae Freth

Previous: Edala Helder, Maethe N'Shee, Elerra Hyluan

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:19 am

Joheshua wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:33 pm
A lot of information here thanks this will definitely help me, just for the sake of talking about where I came from when and how I got to Skal, is there a main church of Ilmater somewhere on the Island in Condor or somewhere?

Would like to be able to reference where I was sent from on my mission trip to proselytize the island.

Thanks a ton.
I would recommend being from a church from the mainland rather the Island of Arelith. The radiant heart could be a place on arelith your guy might want to perhaps make a pilgrimage too as they have a considerable worship space dedicated to the worship of the Triad. Probably something you can let develop better in game as often people from Arelith visit Skal to help so maybe you will make contact and have your interest piqued and find reason to go beyond just being in the Skal. Arelith does not have, from my knowledge, any temples/factions exclusively of Ilmater. So having a more proper Ilmater background from the mainland can perhaps allow you to have more to bring to the table whenever you encounter arelith's "coalition of good guys" factions rather than just being from them. (Also be odd if you are from them, but they never even heard of you).
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:00 pm

StrykerMontgomery wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:19 am
So having a more proper Ilmater background from the mainland can perhaps allow you to have more to bring to the table whenever you encounter arelith's "coalition of good guys" factions rather than just being from them. (Also be odd if you are from them, but they never even heard of you).
Good point, will base my guy as being from the mainland.

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:03 am

So far I am thinking my character will be a cleric of the Order of St. Dionysus, apprentice to the chief archaeologist will be his official title.

He has been to many foreign, far away places on trips to study local religions and collect artifacts to expand the knowledge of the Church.

Most of these orders were given to him by the chief archaeologist, but the order of expedition to Skal was shrouded in mystery.

Born in Goliad.

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:06 am

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:56 am

Ilmater is nice because he's one of those gods that's very open to interpretation. He has multiple Holy Orders for paladins and pious warriors to join, with a variety of objectives - ranging from Knights-Hospitaller (charged with the defense of hospitals, healers and the needy) to an order of Holy Batmen that kick in doors to find Loviatian cults and punch them in their faces.

Basically, since he's the god of healing, suffering and mercy, whatever you want to do, you can find some aspect of Ilmater to work with. Want to track down heretics and end them before they can cause more suffering in the world? Sign on up. Want to be a healer with a sword? Sure. A healer without a sword? Even better. A flagellant monk who believes he needs to literally take on the suffering of others in order to reduce the amount that others need suffer? It works. A covert agent working among the downtrodden in an oppressive society to foster a spark of hope and ease their sorrows however you can? It all checks out.