Normal Reward and Riding

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Ragland

Normal Reward and Riding

Post by Ragland » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:12 pm

I attempted to ride a horse but it said I needed 6 in ride to ride one. The Mechanical Changes post states you do not need points in ride but only a Normal Reward. What is a normal reward, how does this work because the horses look great!

Wordless Truth

Re: Normal Reward and Riding

Post by Wordless Truth » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:15 pm

You're probably talking of this:
Mechanical Changes wrote:• Ride: Is not needed to ride horses (this requires only a Normal Reward), but is used in the wyvern riding fast travel system in the Underdark (details of this system are FOIG).
This is outdated.

Please see http://wiki.arelith.com/Riding

Arelith Wiki wrote:You need at least 6 points in Ride to get on a horse. Being at the bare minimum means that you are likely to be thrown off the mount, while having a score of 30 means you are never going to be thrown off.
Mounted Combat: Riders suffer from 10% Spell Failure unless they have the Mounted Combat feat.
The Mounted Combat feat adds +1 melee AB instead of the normal bonus.

Mounted Archery remains unmodified.
It is impossible to ride in caves or indoors areas.
Riders keep 1 point of AC gained from tumble for every 5 points in ride. AC gained does not exceed amount from tumble, but can be less if ride skill is less than tumble (14 ride, 15 tumble will only maintain 2 AC).
Lances may only be wielded when on horseback.
There are different breeds of horses, that will react differently to the race of the rider.
Every 3 points in Ride (ignoring dex but counting items) will add 1% of riding speed. These bonuses cap at 10% to 30%, depending the quality and nature of the breed of horse.
Characters with the now-disabled Riding Award: May still summon their horses.
Granted a 5 + Hit Dice Ride bonus.

Please note, questions generally belong in the Q&A Section of the forum.

Have fun!

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:38 pm

Honestly, I don't know why we have a mechanical changes subforum (that was supposed to be kept up to date every time a new update came out) when it's often more outdated than the wiki.

Ragland

Post by Ragland » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:50 pm

Thank you for the answer. Now I have to decide if it's worth it or not.

Wordless Truth

Post by Wordless Truth » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:59 pm

Perhaps this helps with your decision:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20974

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:18 pm

I'm pretty when I went to use my greater reward one of the options that appeared was to use it on riding. So the option still seem to appear in the startup area.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:43 am

It's extra good for halflings because when you get on a horse it turns into a cute little pony :3
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).