Our timeline compared to the 'outside' world.

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

flower

Re: Our timeline compared to the 'outside' world.

Post by flower » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:04 am

Irongron….

It is right They would need to be up for specific time.

But you can also say: followers of morning lord do not need to set up their alarm clock every fw hours to praise their god. The night would last many hours for drow to do stuff :D not a brief blink of an eye.

There are many gods who demand in lore daily prayer at certain time, which is impossible right now (because before you do one or two things time is over and you should be in temple again :lol: ).

Casters would not need to be sleeping over and over with their spells lasting that long.

But okay, it seems to be more complex then it looked like.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:21 am

whoisthisis wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:43 pm
It really irks me when someone shows up in game and they are using 4E or 5E lore, I just want to reach out and smack em.
It really isn't that big of a deal. New players make mistakes like that and it can easily be fixed in both an in-game sentence and a tell.

For example, when my character first met a young mage apprentice she took on, he spoke to her about the Spellplague. She shook her head in disappointment and said "Please do not believe such foolish rumors that you may have heard." I followed that up with a simple tell that Arelith's timeline 'stopped' the official time somewhere around 3rd Edition D&D and the player thanked me for the explanation, and that was that =)

420chambers

Post by 420chambers » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:57 pm

In my opinion, it's correct to view Arelith Reckoning as a period of time where events happened within that specific era's name, rather than it being a repeated loop/cycle type of thing. Similar to if you were to say "Ancient egypt lasted x years", so basically characters after 1372 might say "Arelith lasted x years". As well, some countries like Nepal and China (and also the Aztecs) have their own calendar and I suppose don't have to abide by the western calendar where we're currently in the year 2018, so people on Arelith have their own perspective of what year it is essentially if that makes any sense at all.

Edit: Here's an easier way to explain what I mean. 1371-1372 or so DR happened, then AR happened, then the rest of DR post 1372 happened, would that be a good way to look at it?

420chambers

Post by 420chambers » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:12 pm

Irongron wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:50 pm
I think there's an important point to make here, which I don't think has been addressed above.

The speed at which our 'years' pass are governed by the speed of NWN. We can't change the length of an hour when calculating spells, the day/night cycle etc, but at the same time neither can we race around the server in Fast-Forward mode.

People play the game at perfectly normal speed, and we just have to kind of flabbily accept that sitting down for a long lunch will be a couple of days of NWN calender time.

Measuring the AR Reckoning is really about being able to frame our own server history. If someone wants to RP a pregnancy accurately for instance they'll come to term less than 2 weeks later, which will likely be about 8 hours of actual play. There is no getting around just how silly this is, so in our RP we just have to avoid focusing on it too heavily.

I would argue that AR time does not move at the same speed as the FR date, at all.

If its 1372 FR and 143 AR, then the current FR date, is about 1385, not 1515

Really though, we each have juggle this our own way - with the speed of NWN there's no sense to it.
I think a good way to look at some of these things is to, if you're logged in and playing for hours, kinda ignore it (lol), such as if you've been chilling in the same place for over an hour in real life, but also (and when you're offline) consider the fact that certain events that don't really need to be "monitored" or played through have happened. e.g some characters might have offspring but never actually RP the romance because they're not into that kinda thing, etc.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:50 pm

MissEvelyn wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:21 am
whoisthisis wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:43 pm
It really irks me when someone shows up in game and they are using 4E or 5E lore, I just want to reach out and smack em.
It really isn't that big of a deal. New players make mistakes like that and it can easily be fixed in both an in-game sentence and a tell.

For example, when my character first met a young mage apprentice she took on, he spoke to her about the Spellplague. She shook her head in disappointment and said "Please do not believe such foolish rumors that you may have heard." I followed that up with a simple tell that Arelith's timeline 'stopped' the official time somewhere around 3rd Edition D&D and the player thanked me for the explanation, and that was that =)
Not always so easily. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone because I honestly can't even remember who it was, but I once gently and very politely let someone know that I 'think' we use 3.5ed (as advertised) on this server, and that his lore hasn't happened yet. The response was "I don't give a fudge." They did not use the word fudge.

:P
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:17 pm

I think we all have to appreciate, especially the more veteran & lore-consumed members of our community, that to many many people the lore of Arelith is a bottom rung priority.

Not everyone has faerun lore down packed or care all that much. These individuals can still contribute to a compelling story.

And just as we can't be hyper sensitive to lore, as this thread typifies, we can't be hyper sensitive to lore breaches either. Fudge it. It's roleplay. That's what we do best.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:37 pm

It's only going to be harder. At a certain point, I think we should be posting "lore stuff" directly to the forums/website and making it publicly accessible.

Not to be lore sticklier, but it's honestly hard to decipher what is true and what is relevant these days because 3.5 is so 2003.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil