Why are we not allowed to talk about the server on the forums?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

cptcuddlepants

Re: Why are we not allowed to talk about the server on the forums?

Post by cptcuddlepants » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:49 pm

Coincidentally enough, I sent a long message to one of the DM team regarding this topic a few days ago.

I'm kind of curious how many people are holding back on sharing their thoughts because of the likelihood that they'll get harassed (both OOC and ingame) or dismissed because they share the same concerns regarding PVP.

All I'm going to say on the matter is that it isn't fun being repeatedly forced into the role of helpless NPCs whose sole purpose is to lament despairingly and/or die for the sake of showing off how strong and awesome the "main characters" are.
When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table.

Get Jad's portrait here!

Vincent

Post by Vincent » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:15 pm

Nevrus wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:43 pm
Sometimes you should turn the other cheek, friend, if you want to get what you're after. That's general life advice.
Not a sign of integrity though. I for one commend Mastersir for expressing himself earnestly when we are encouraged to conceal our true feelings under the assumption that we will all behave like immature, whining brats if we expose what we honestly think and feel.

strong yeet

Post by strong yeet » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:17 pm

i wonder why that assumption exists

Vincent

Post by Vincent » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:20 pm

strong yeet wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:17 pm
i wonder why that assumption exists
Please don't try to purposefully provoke a nasty response. This sort of comment is the antithesis of why this thread was created.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:46 pm

This is somewhat proving my point.

Person 1) makes a statement (however well intentioned) that clearly shows deep invested OOC upset/resentment (however well deserved.)
I lock it.
Person 2) Makes a thread about locking threads, which in itself does point a bit of a finger at myself, who locked the prior thread. In fairness this person caged his points in a far better and more reasoned manner.
THEN: Because I feel a little personally attacked, I make what I try to be a reasoned and logical rebuttle, stating the importance of keeping distance and impartiality about these topics, in order to have a reasoned discussion.
THEN: The first two posters feel personaly attacked in turn, misinterpreting my stattement as attacks on them. (The statement is not, the statement is merely explaining that when debates start from a personal and emotional view point tend to invite personal and emotional view points. This is certainly the case with the first thread, and slghtly (though only slightly) the case for This thread.)
THEN: Now I feel even more personally attacked and, to be more clear- deeply, deeply frustrated. So I write this post, and have to hope that some of that personal hurt doesn't come though. That I can act in grace and understanding.

I'm going to try stressing my point FOR THIS THREAD reguarding the question "Why are We not Allowed to Talk about the Server on the Forums.' again.
I personally both invite and welcome server discussions of all sorts. however such discussions must be kept as emotinally neutral as possible. So that the discussion that continues can reach some good, interesting and condusive conclusions, and not divolve into a emotional mess and flame war that might otherwise occur.
I am not particularly accusing Mastersir3 of any malicious behavior. Disreguarding the fact I felt a little attacked, (as mentioned above) I feel for the most part this thread was started in a neutral and interesting fashion. I welcome the discussion of PvP that came along with it, and so forth.

My point is simply that if we did allow the sort of transparancy he wants, then we would probably end up with that sort of all caps rant by someone or other. Among other problems. I am not saying he'd be the one to do it. But I'm saying someone else might be, and I don't think improve server moral much.

Again this is not a comment on pvp
This is not a comment on Mastersir3 personally
This is not a comment on Vincent personally.
This is a comment on the inevitable outcome of what is suggested in the very first post of this thread.

The fact that my words have been construed as personal attacks by these people (and to be fair, that I myself feel a little personaly attacked, if my own comments have come across snipy because of that, I do give my most sincear apologise) is perfect proof of point.

Finally, just to adress one last matter: If you truly feel my behavior and opinions are out of order, I would encourage you to contact head DM Spyre with a complaint. If he thinks that I am not acting in a professional manner, that I am disregaruding you concerns, or else mocking or being abusive towards your good selves, then he has the power to remove both my Dm and Forum Modorator Privilages.
This fact remains true for any DM or Moderator that you have concerns about.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Vincent

Post by Vincent » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:56 pm

DM GrumpyCat wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:46 pm
I am not particularly accusing Mastersir3 of any malicious behavior. Disreguarding the fact I felt a little attacked, (as mentioned above) I feel for the most part this thread was started in a neutral and interesting fashion. I welcome the discussion of PvP that came along with it, and so forth.
Thank you for clarifying Grumpy. I must admit my eyes were immediately drawn to the parody style example written all in caps and it did come across as a caricature and exaggeration of our opinions. I did however always consider it had simply come off the wrong way, which your new post seems to indicate.

With all said and done I personally am appreciative that the DMs such as yourself are allowing the discussion to happen within this thread, and I also appreciate that there has been DM input, along with some very insightful comments from players. I am glad that most of us seem to as a result understand each other's perspectives better due to this thread, and there has been some reassuring feedback from DMs on the state of PvP—which is really all I can ask for.

As Mastersir stated being a DM can be very taxing, and considering it is a voluntary position I can only commend what the group does. This may seem abrupt to bring up considering my earlier questioning of the DMs' approach, however as this is not a verbal conversation it is difficult for me to preface my posts with the entirety of my thoughts. I am inclined to agree that Mastersir has pushed the boundaries somewhat with his replies, yet I can also empathise with his perspective due to how we initially perceived Grumpy's post.

All in all I am very grateful to all the players with constructive opinions and Grumpy, Spyre and Titania for expressing interest in our concerns and allowing this discussion to take place, which was my one real request.
Last edited by Vincent on Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mastersir3

Post by Mastersir3 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:58 pm

I thank you for the clarification and will freely admit that I was attempting to be snide with you after what I deemed to be an attack on the content of what my intended message was. I apologize, as it seems I've misunderstood the point of what you said. I enjoy this sort of civil discourse as I feel that it can only benefit things, if it is able to continue only as a civil discourse. You've stated that that cannot really be the case, and I feel several people in this thread, myself included, have served to prove that. It's sad to me that this is the state of things, but if a small mass of people talking to the DM team about server issues is going to remain the preferred method of communication, I'd only suggest a slightly higher focus on the feeling of worth to the player's concerns. Again, I apologize and thank you for your time in replying to me.

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:04 pm

I think these last few posts sum up this one nice. I'll lock this one on a good note.
Please don't feed my sister.