Deleting Sargoth the illithid—bye

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Vincent

Deleting Sargoth the illithid—bye

Post by Vincent » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:26 pm

Many people likely aren't even aware of this character's existence, but I know a fair few may have met him.

Sargoth was my major award PC and I have never made a bigger mistake than attempting to play PvP bait on a PvP-fixated server. I knew he'd cause controversy though my intention was always to focus on the potentially fascinating roleplay of being an illithid. I had many fun and interesting interactions, and had the opportunity to write plenty of ghoulish and disturbing emotes thanks to his nature. Doesn't change the fact that when I first made him, I was killed at level three after one line by a player I won't name.

This may seem like I'm complaining about making a character who's obviously going to get PvPed and in part it is, though I'd like to think this thread is a little more sophisticated, dedicated to explaining a problem systemic to the server currently. I was killed on my human weaponmaster when my companion tried to nickname a mage we'd met five minutes ago "Brad." No, this isn't hyperbole. Her quirk was giving people random nicknames and this offended him to the point he retorted by saying "say that again and I shall cut out your tongue." She didn't have the chance to say it again because seconds later he summoned a dragon and decided to kill us both anyhow. I reported this incident but the player seems to have suffered no consequences.

Mere moments ago I encountered a group on Sargoth whom decided to stalk us. We were going to spirits, though as the other group was already there, I politely conceded and suggested we could go elsewhere, and that seemed to be the end of that. We returned to the Middledark Outpost only to be surprised when the same group lensed and began to follow us, which is when I noticed one was hostile to me (commence deep sighing—I like RP, not PvP generally). Maybe the intention was to legitimately roleplay something, though before we could my elemental started to attack a summoned shadow which wasn't even hostile to us, and I even had the summon controlled by the player tool (wat?). I called it off in time but when my companion's did the same to the hostile player, he naturally rushed us.

You may expect the conclusion to this story to be that we all died, but instead, we won rather effortlessly. I felt nothing though as I only enjoy PvP when significant roleplay has happened beforehand, something I have experienced a grand total of once on this server (also the only time I've ever initiated PvP... though I ended up regretting that too, despite it being the one of the few cases of PvP I've experienced that felt like it actually adhered to the server rules). I believe an impossible to ignore obsession with PvP on this server has only grown and grown and is more prevalent than ever with the release of the "Enhanced" Edition of NWN. This encounter wasn't even necessarily the culmination of that, it was just incredibly unfun, seemingly quite buggy (and extremely confusing) and I was groaning the entire time. I have never had less fun on Arelith than I am currently.

So, to try and surmise. The recent incident was tedious, though I don't believe the player was trying to be malicious necessarily—summons in this are just infuriating. Being attacked on my perfectly blank slate human character was far more offensive. I earnestly, sincerely feel that Arelith is more of a PvP server currently as people use very brief or insiginificant roleplay to avoid being banned when they bash people. Sargoth was a tremendous mistake and though I anticipated a great deal of PvP to come his way, I felt there might be some more roleplay behind it. There wasn't.

Truth be told I'm starving for RP on an RP server, and that's kind of sad. So I'm deleting my mistake of a major PC and taking a very extended break. Bye.
Last edited by Vincent on Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kiljaedon

Re: Deleting Sargoth the illithid—bye

Post by kiljaedon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:46 pm

Do not delete him. Never make a rash decision in such a mental state. Take your extended break through. I understand where you come from as someone who has been in such situations that make me wonder. Just do not be rash is all I can say.

good man of god
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by good man of god » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:47 pm

I'm really sorry to hear you've had a bad time with all this.

I would have loved to interact with a PC illithid - a crazy concept with so many possibilities!

I hope that after your break, you're recharged and ready to get back at it.

If you haven't deleted yet - maybe don't!

Previous:
Tornius Daressin
Matthew Daressin-Gravelle
Asvusha (Blake Lynk)
Sebastian Webster

Current:
Inkwell Thornwhisper

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:55 pm

A few points.

1) I agree with the above, don't delete your character right away. If I were you (and it's your call of course) I'd sleep on it a bit at least. If you still feel that way in a few days, by all means. But don't do something you'll regret, especialy not with a 5% character! If you need a break though, by all means take it.

2) This sort of thing is best send to us in the form of a report, ideally by the Form PM box. Opening it up to discussion often just invites flame wars, accusations, ect. So for now I'm going to lock this topic.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:25 pm

I really want to stress the importance of asking for an update for anything you send to us if you've not gotten a response until you get one.

Sometimes we miss things (I don't recall any report from the above for example, and neither do other team members). Or we move it over, but aren't able to catch anyone to talk to for a time. Or any number of reasons. Getting that reminder might feel like you're bugging us, but you're not. It helps us stay on track and handle every incident. In this case, we never had a report sent over the forums. If you don't get a response when pinging IG to report something, send it to us here, via Active DMs.

We get MANY PMs every single day. Questions, PrC Requests, DM Quest suggestions, reports, bugs. We try to catch as many as we can but there will always be something that gets missed. So I stress to everyone, check back in every two days. Even a report should get at the very least some response that we're looking into it. We won't tell you what we did for it, but every reporter deserves acknowledgement that it's been seen and being investigated.

Lastly, before posting, before even PMing us, make sure you're in a calm state. The last line is an alarm of frustration, which spells trouble for any forum thread (As such this is staying locked). Don't delete that character, or resign. Take a break for a bit, then come back and write that report when you're calmer, and make a decision on that character when you're in a clear mindset.
Please don't feed my sister.