Timing out

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Kreydis

Timing out

Post by Kreydis » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:10 pm

Anyone else timing out every hour or so sense the last patch? I've even gone as little as 10 seconds before I'm timed out. I've got no crash reports or anything to tell me what's going on. It's not just an Arelith thing, it seems to be with every single server. So, it's really a beamdog thing, and I should report it there later. But if someone has some magical fix already that I don't know of?
It's a Dwarf, no it's a Dragon, no it's a Halfling! I think.

TheOpticalMouse

Re: Timing out

Post by TheOpticalMouse » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:14 pm

Last night I did randomly just get booted for no discernible reason. It's the only one I've noticed so far, though.

Atlantahammy

Post by Atlantahammy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:20 pm

Kreydis wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:10 pm
Anyone else timing out every hour or so sense the last patch? I've even gone as little as 10 seconds before I'm timed out. I've got no crash reports or anything to tell me what's going on. It's not just an Arelith thing, it seems to be with every single server. So, it's really a beamdog thing, and I should report it there later. But if someone has some magical fix already that I don't know of?
Yeah I have the same problem, only i get different types of crashing mixed in.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:41 pm

When was the patch, is this a new one?

Kreydis

Post by Kreydis » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:47 pm

Might not have been a patch from Beamdog looking it over. But ever sense this month started (more noticeably a few weeks ago) I've been on and off as it is. So perhaps it's a driver thing on my end. I don't know, I'll poke around my system in a bit.
It's a Dwarf, no it's a Dragon, no it's a Halfling! I think.

Atlantahammy

Post by Atlantahammy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:12 am

Kreydis wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:47 pm
Might not have been a patch from Beamdog looking it over. But ever sense this month started (more noticeably a few weeks ago) I've been on and off as it is. So perhaps it's a driver thing on my end. I don't know, I'll poke around my system in a bit.
Someone mentioned to me that they had to swap the channel on their modem, and it fixed but it also could been a coincidence.

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:25 am

Been laggy and disconnecty all night aye. Hope its not something i will have to fix manually not that great at IT stuff.

Rockstar1984

Post by Rockstar1984 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:05 am

I get soft crashes all the time. It'll work just fine on Arelith and then all of a sudden I just get sent to the main menu of the game. No error message. Sometimes I'll notice I'm crashing out because no one will say anything and my inventory won't load when I open it, but half the time the crash happens in an instant. This has been happening to some people since EE began though, not just with the last patch. Odd to see it happening to more people now.

Oh the year was 1778...

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:26 pm

This has never been so bad on my end till last night... i did still have issues now and then but they would happen maybe once or twice at most. Oddly the later it got last night the worse the problems to the point where it was almost unplayable. We will see how it plays tonight... *Prays to God*

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:30 pm

It also occurs to me... the other server i play on is often targeted by hackers who use DDOS attacks which cause the same effects. Could that be it?

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:55 pm

:shock:

What server is that!?

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:40 pm

Ugh no still bad... mega lag and DC every 15 minutes or so. Others are reporting similar issues though some are not as bad as others.

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:16 pm

Seems to have gotten better... still dc's and lags now and then but not like it was. Oddly it got better when i uninstalled the optional Arelith graphics package that improves the mist effect. Whole time that was installed it made the death area almost unplayable due to lag as well.

Atlantahammy

Post by Atlantahammy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:38 am

The issue does seem to be getting worse for me too, both me and Snow are timing out at the same time, or at different times, so it might be something server side?

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:08 pm

Player side I don't get this happening at all.

DM side I do, unless that's a different bug.

Sometimes when I swap servers as a DM, I'll log on briefly then it'll just kick me out, right back into windows. Wierd stuff.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DM Symphony » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:17 am

Vrass wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:16 pm
Seems to have gotten better... still dc's and lags now and then but not like it was. Oddly it got better when i uninstalled the optional Arelith graphics package that improves the mist effect. Whole time that was installed it made the death area almost unplayable due to lag as well.
Yes, make sure not to die with that override installed. It's separated from the rest since it should be the only override with any negative side effects.

However, it's very unlikely that having that placeable and it's texture as an override will cause you to disconnect. It's rendering, as slow as it might be when there are thousands of fog clouds on the screen at once, is purely local and won't do anything to your lag, latency, and connection to the server. As far as your connection is concerned, it's the same as every other placeable. Your computer finds out where the placeable is in the area from the Arelith server, and that's the end of that. Only happens once.