Thoughts on "Sketched Picture of X"

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Mastersir3

Thoughts on "Sketched Picture of X"

Post by Mastersir3 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:54 pm

I was looking for people's opinions on the use of "sketched picture of *another character*" as a means to let the In Game world know who you are referring to if your character doesn't explicitly know their name. For example, a bounty note pinned to a board with a picture saying "sketched picture of Joe Smith", which really only serves to let other players, not other characters, know who the bounty is for. To me it seems to be a bit of a god emote/OOC information, as you're telling the person's name to other players even if your character doesn't know it and isn't technically telling it to other characters, even if it's written in asterisks in the message. It feels like a cheap way to let the server know who might be aligned in what way, and to me doesn't feel much different from "Painting of Joe Smith who was immune to critical hits, perhaps a pale master". Obviously a large stretch, but I feel it follows the same train of thought. I'd much rather see an actual description of the character instead of just dropping their name on a message board. Perhaps consideration could be given to high rank art crafters? Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

McDuck

Re: Thoughts on "Sketched Picture of X"

Post by McDuck » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:08 pm

Well a detailed desciption could serve for that, clothing collors, weapons used, do they have for example red hair or black. But names as far i know is a no no.

Mastersir3

Post by Mastersir3 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:11 pm

McDuck wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:08 pm
Well a detailed desciption could serve for that, clothing collors, weapons used, do they have for example red hair or black. But names as far i know is a no no.
That's more what I was hoping to see. Is dropping a name in a drawing against the rules? I've noticed it a few times recently.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:26 pm

Mastersir3 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:11 pm
That's more what I was hoping to see. Is dropping a name in a drawing against the rules? I've noticed it a few times recently.
Not a staff, but I'd say based on the staff time and again removing descriptions and messages with *character name*, yes. It would probably fall under the Be Nice rule, but perhaps also under the always stay In-Character rule.

Mastersir3

Post by Mastersir3 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:28 pm

It's come to my attention that there was already a thread made regarding this a little while back. No need for more replies I guess, this can probably be closed. Thanks for responding though!

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:29 pm

A description like what McDuck suggested is much better, as it creates an opportunity for misidentification. Putting their name in when you don't know it is metagaming.

Just like *description of character*, I always ignore notes that use this kind of cheap, lazy tactic. Does not create RP. Actively stifles it.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:38 pm

PinataPlethora wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:29 pm
A description like what McDuck suggested is much better, as it creates an opportunity for misidentification. Putting their name in when you don't know it is metagaming.

Just like *description of character*, I always ignore notes that use this kind of cheap, lazy tactic. Does not create RP. Actively stifles it.
Someone did the *Describes character* thing to me once, I shut them down by "confirming" the details they gave me. "Oh, so he's got lips like a donkey and the hair to match?" If you're going to leave it up to me to decide what he looks like, I'm going to use the fullest of my creative ability to imagine his appearance! :lol:

Face

Post by Face » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:48 pm

Putting "description of [name]" when you don't know the name is clear metagaming.

In my opinion putting "description of [name]" when you do know the name is borderline metagaming and invariably shit for RP. It stifles RP because you're removing the opportunity for people to be misidentified, you're removing the ability for the opposing character to change their appearance to stay hidden and you're focusing on the floaty name above their head rather than the appearance that they've put time and effort into creating.

Whatever you're doing on the server, question whether it will create or diminish RP. Some of my favorite RP moments as a Lawful Evil guard-type have been questioning misidentified suspects, and elsewhere I've seen entire character plotlines emerge from mis-communication and mis-identification.

You should not be playing to win. Put: "Name, who wears red robes, a black cloak and a skull helm etc." Evil characters on the Surface have it hard enough as it is without you taking away all opportunity to conceal themselves.

DM Avalon Soul
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Avalon Soul » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:00 pm

I cannot speak formally for the DM team but I would see a proper description as much as possible put forward. I can empathize with those who have difficulty getting such a description however, especially when there are some out there who have no description written up so they have to rely on the in game model solely, which only provides a partial picture.
"How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame; for one person, in the dark, where no one will ever know or see. " -- Sebaestian, Babylon 5

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:13 pm

As a Cordor Guard on and off for years, I saw this a number of times and the consistent ruling I saw between players in the guard (some of which said it was DM backed) was that it shouldn't be done.

This was largely because people can change appearances, and if the only description is *has a description of John Doe*, players will assume it's that person regardless of their clothing, regardless of what wards they have active, etc.

This is even more of an issue with disguise names not working, as someone could be disguised and still have this happen despite both an outfit change and a disguise.

In short it opens the gate very wide for metagaming, both intentional and accidental.

Like all metagaming though, there's both good and bad types.
If the sketch is because the person did something and you want to track/hunt them down, that'd be on the destructive end of things and most likely would be better to avoid.
On the other hand if you're hosting an event and want people to be able to find you to sign up/join in, or some other type of constructive RP of that nature, I imagine it'd be far more acceptable.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:26 pm

I don't understand why an actual description of the individual is too much to ask for. If they don't have a bio, describe the armor, weapons, stat spread that you can see via examine.

Not hard.
\

TheOpticalMouse

Post by TheOpticalMouse » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:20 pm

I know for a fact the DM team ruling is for an actual description to be written. Snow sketches her staff to put on the roster inside the clinic, and initially I had done the "Here is a sketch of so n so" and the DMs asked me to re-do it with proper descriptions; which I gladly did. Honestly I am happier having made that switch.

DM Always This Late

Post by DM Always This Late » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:50 am

I can confirm past rulings have been that you cannot do a write up like "here is a picture of (insert character name)"

A better alternative would be like

We know the man as Frank, he wears dark leathers and carries a backpack.

Since characters can change clothes and stuff just inserting the character name would prompt the use of the floating name instead of relying on the IC appearance.

Final example if you say (insert picture of Bob) then presumably no matter what Bob wears he can be identified as opposed to an actual description of what they are wearing.
I loved and I loved and I lost you... And it hurt like hell.