Traps in pvp

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

SigurdTheMighty

Traps in pvp

Post by SigurdTheMighty » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:36 pm

I'm not really sure how to pull this off, rules of engagement wise in pvp.
Any advice from folks would be grand. Can't wait to start sonic nuking orcs.

PinataPlethora

Re: Traps in pvp

Post by PinataPlethora » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:48 pm

Set an ambush and draw them in.

Set ten, flag one or two.

You're almost always going to be setting things up before you engage with them for RP. That's the nature of traps.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:51 pm

SigurdTheMighty wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:36 pm
I'm not really sure how to pull this off, rules of engagement wise in pvp.
Any advice from folks would be grand. Can't wait to start sonic nuking orcs.
Place one under yourself. Follow PvP rules. Bait your enemy to come to you, laugh when they trigger your epic trap.

Or,

Place a trap(or better yet, several) at a pre-determined location(can't do this in a settlement because you'll accidently kill a lowbie) Follow the PvP rules at a distance. Fire a few arrows at your opponent. When they close to beat you into a bloody pulp, flee. Flee across your trap, they'll run into it. Turn, and murder them using your sneak damage if the trap hasn't done it for you.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

SigurdTheMighty

Post by SigurdTheMighty » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:56 pm

Ah cool.

Cheers for clearing that up.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:20 am

You're going to make some people so angry :lol:

But, as long as the rules are followed, it's fair game. Personally I'd love to see it in action.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:30 am

Be careful about where you set them, it's your responsbility if someone unrelated to the interaction steps on them.
:)

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:49 am

I always wondered, is trap stacking allowed in pvp, in general?

One of the most unfair things is probably running into ten stacked traps and die no matter what.

EnigmaticSpirit
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by EnigmaticSpirit » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:52 am

The other day, while we bandied words with the enemy group leader, their sneak got behind us and placed several traps. That's arguably the best way to do it.

TroubledWaters

Post by TroubledWaters » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:09 am

Shadowy Reality wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:49 am
I always wondered, is trap stacking allowed in pvp, in general?

One of the most unfair things is probably running into ten stacked traps and die no matter what.
From the wiki, this is okay.

http://wiki.arelith.com/Trap

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:48 am

...Really? Are you sure thats right? Because I could've sworn I've heard otherwise. That, and the fact it gives you the ability to do a one-shot kill on anything with enough resources seems like a reason not to do it.

Trap stacking is very, very different than "setting a lot of traps that partially overlap"

As for the OP.

When I used traps in PvP, i'd cornersneak, set a trap on/near the corner I used to cornersneak, then would pop back out of stealth and run back around the same corner. Or i'd sneak out and set a trap; doing that will immediately break stealth. Which means they'll run right at you. And your trap. Going back and forth between these two tactics made it hard to predict when it was safe to chase me, or where exactly my traps were.

clanogrady

Post by clanogrady » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:08 am

Trap stacking against NPC's are fine.

Against PC's a script triggers to only make one trap go off. *if I remember correctly*

I had this happen a few times when I was running around in the sewers setting up safe points and PC's would come in behind me and run over them while I was luring enemies.

Artenides

Post by Artenides » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:39 am

MissEvelyn wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:20 am
Personally I'd love to see it in action.
I would even pay some gold just to see it!
--
Plays as: [No active char atm]
"I am a software developer and a DnD nerd. That means I am equally qualified to deal with bugs and bugbears!"

flower

Post by flower » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:45 am

Blasted Yasdia, he was really good at this :D

AnselHoenheim
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by AnselHoenheim » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:58 am

I suppose traps are fine if the target already knows that you are going to fight against them, one way or another, maybe warn them then baiting the enemy group into an area full of traps, maybe using it as self-defense mode by putting your trap under your feet.... As far as they know you are targetting them I'd see no problem with it I guess.

Also entangle and frost traps are my top tier favourite, maybe they do not deal much damage but that slow stat or that paralyze is enough to turn the tables in a bad situation!

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:29 pm

I know there are a few don'ts like you can't trap tranistions spots so people transition in on top of them. You can't lay traps down then run off and simply leave them all behind. Thats not to say you can't prep an area and lead them into the traps. But you can't say trap a tunnel because drow like to walk through there and walk off. A few years back someone was going about cordor simply trapping random things and walking off. So you would try to sit on a bench and a trap would go off.

goatte

Post by goatte » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:29 pm

The same thing happened in Brogendenstein in May, I think. Random minor traps left in the Golden Halls. No other RP out of it. No notes on the boards. Nothing about it but random vandalism from the perspective of the victim. They weren't life threatening or part of some deeper story.
goatte
(not a sacrificial one for the egos of other players)

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:57 pm

goatte wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:29 pm
The same thing happened in Brogendenstein in May, I think. Random minor traps left in the Golden Halls. No other RP out of it. No notes on the boards. Nothing about it but random vandalism from the perspective of the victim. They weren't life threatening or part of some deeper story.
That's actually a bug with Brog that's been around for years. Some of the NPC's spaz out and put down low level traps sometimes.

Nevrus
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Nevrus » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:15 am

In the words of Dwarf Fortress we call this "fun"
Ganus- Riding the Isle (Active)
Aura Bigstep - Got Out Ahead (Retired)
Egos Ironhide - Shelved
Consult a medical professional before believing anything Nevrus says.

goatte

Post by goatte » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:59 am

Okay. I guess they really don't like tourists there. /sarc

I guess we need the Thane to tell them, "You kids are not allowed to play with traps until you grow up." ????
goatte
(not a sacrificial one for the egos of other players)

livingNPC

Post by livingNPC » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:35 pm

flower wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:45 am
Blasted Yasdia, he was really good at this :D
Why thank you.

My favorite memory was when surfacers came to take Salindra by force and she called for Yasdia's aid. I arrived, set down traps in the distance, then walked into view. As Yasdia, I proposed a peaceful end to the conflict, and asked the surfacers aside, to discuss my fee to allow them to take away my slave (at the time). I then took them aside right into a minefield of traps.

I'd also goat duergar who wanted my hide into approaching me, while traps were around me... to the point where I'd bluff I had traps around me, when I had none set and my aggressors would just leave.... fond memories.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:23 pm

There are no rules about trap-stacking other than basic, pre-existing PvP rules (i.e. you must interact, and you must hostile, both prior to combat). This also means you need to do so in a carefully planned way that avoids collateral damage to other PC's who are not part of the conflict.

There have been 'shadow rules' where people try to make it an attachment of the "Be Nice" or "Don't be cheesy" rule, but in a direct question in one thread a ways back I quoted a DM (I believe it was GrumpyCat) in my signature that there are no rules about trap stacking, and it's legal to set traps in your quarter without placing signs warning about them.

Then someone really didn't like something I said and I lost the quote when they hacked my account. *Shrug* If your search-fu is good you can probably find the thread and quote I'm talking about. :)

TL;DR - Unless a ruling change is instituted, the wiki is absolutely correct.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002