Disguise functionality and a gofundme

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Party in the forest at midnight

Disguise functionality and a gofundme

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:14 pm

In one of the threads that appeared about disguises recently, it was brought up that there is a potential fix, but the programmers cannot do it right now. Someone suggested creating a gofundme to pay them for their time, I'd like to bring this up again as a serious suggestion.

Would the programmers be interested in this, or are they just straight up too busy for it?
How would this be done, would it be based on an hourly rate? What kind of estimated goal are we looking at here? After every NWNEE update if the functionality needs to be updated, realistically how long will it take because that's something that needs to be accounted for as well.

I've got a vague idea of what programmer hourly rates look like. Freelance game programmers can get $60-80 per hour. I understand that a programmer's time costs $$$. But I'd like to know if this is something we could band together to pay for, and if updating it after patches is something we could also pay for.

kiljaedon

Re: Disguise functionality and a gofundme

Post by kiljaedon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:08 pm

This is a slippery slope. Making money through this means could be a violation of copyright rules with anything DnD related and money even if it is for a good cause which I would still donate if it went through. I would make sure it would not violate any copyright rules.

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:59 pm

Would this be any different than using patreon to earn money for a server? Are there any people in the nwn community who do commission work for assets or scripts? It would be paying someone to program a script that is related to custom content for the game and not the game itself, is this different than paying someone to make art of characters which is also custom content related to the game but not the game itself?

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:34 am

Pay the NWNX folk to hurry it the heck up then.
20 RPR GANG

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:55 am

MoreThanThree wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:34 am
Pay the NWNX folk to hurry it the heck up then.
That's what this thread is about. Someone suggested we start a gofundme for it. I have no idea who their devs are or if they'd even be willing to. That's what I'm asking.

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:57 am

lmao I misread this and thought you wanted to pay our own devs to fix it.
20 RPR GANG

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:19 am

Well, for starters you should probably ask the NWNX devs about it. A cursory google page leads me to their contact page.
https://www.nwnx.org/index.php?id=contact

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:24 am

Money isn't going to help. I've spoken with the NwNX team about this.

Evidently, the old way of doing new names is no longer functional (i.e. dynamic names would require a plugin update every single patch--quite the arduous task). However, it would apparently be trivial to create a function that overrides the name permanently; with this kind of function, it would be possible to fix the disguise system, though it would require a rewrite of some of Arelith's internal logic.

ETA? I don't know. I asked about this a couple months back and was told, "It's a 30 minute fix. Sometime over the weekend." I haven't seen any plugin updates since, aside from a minor one that adds the ability to adjust a creature's challenge rating (released just today).

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:33 am

I have 0 understanding of nwn plugins, but how come it needs an update with every update of NWN ? doesnt the code it adds (or whatever it does) only change if the NWN changes that specific code.. or something like that?
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:24 pm

I've submitted a change to make SetName() work on PCs. It will probably be in the next game patch. After that, it's up to the Arelith developers to hook it up and make it work.

Gable Morninglord
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Gable Morninglord » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:17 pm

I would really like to see this fixed as well.
Man of Action.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:24 pm

Liareth wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:24 pm
I've submitted a change to make SetName() work on PCs. It will probably be in the next game patch. After that, it's up to the Arelith developers to hook it up and make it work.
I saw someone talk about this on one of the Beamdog streams. It would definitely be nice! =)

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:29 pm

I basically stopped playing a character when EE dropped because of this. I want this back so bad

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:01 am

Liareth wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:24 pm

How long until next update do you think? Weeks? Months? This is great, I'm so happy.