Pirate groups

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

StrykerMontgomery

Pirate groups

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:17 am

Thinking of making a sea loving pirate elf (ubless privateer is viable thing)

If there any captains/factions looking for crew, feel free to reply or drop me a pm.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

BegoneThoth

Re: Pirate groups

Post by BegoneThoth » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:05 pm

I dont think there are any pirate crews at the moment due to a lack of a pirate ship that can be owned.
\

Xarge VI

Post by Xarge VI » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:06 pm

That is wrong. I know of one pirate captain who's trying very hard to build a crew, but I prefer people finding out these things through IC methods rather than OOC.
Granted said group's captain has been away for a week, but rumor is the player is back.

strong yeet

Post by strong yeet » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:27 pm

I wonder just WHERE that rumour came from..........

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:32 pm

Xarge VI wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:06 pm
That is wrong. I know of one pirate captain who's trying very hard to build a crew, but I prefer people finding out these things through IC methods rather than OOC.
Granted said group's captain has been away for a week, but rumor is the player is back.
I know what you mean. But the bottom line is that you cannot own a pirate ship. All pirate ships are rentals. If you don't own a ship, you arn't a captain, and you can't delegate/assign/build a crew.

That the biggest 'pirate' isn't actually using a 'pirate ship' says a lot, to me, about the state of piracy.
\

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:43 pm

tl;dr ask vance
20 RPR GANG

Poolbrain
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Poolbrain » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:10 pm

There's several factions in Sencliff with varying activity. You should make a character and check boards in Sencliff Docks and you will have some ideas of whom to contact. Otherwise you can always create a new group, member hunting is fun if you have the motivation!

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:19 pm

It is advised that I start off in Sencliff or find it?

Rockstar1984

Post by Rockstar1984 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:50 pm

The ships in the Crow's Nest can be owned by pirates because they aren't attached to settlements or so I thought. Also Sencliff itself is actually one big crew, basically, sort of like how the Radiant Heart is one big knight order. Signing articles of agreement, which is what that piece of paper in a pirate's inventory is, is joining a crew and agreeing to that crew's code.

Now I sent a private message and no response. So in case you didn't see it. As far as privateering goes, it's a totally valid thing and I once ran a whole privateer faction. Currently someone else owns the ship I used but they have a letter of marque from my character. If your character wanders over to Guldorand and asks around for work on a ship they just may find some. Although if you've already gone pirate, you'll probably be rejected.

Oh the year was 1778...

Echohawk
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Echohawk » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:09 pm

There are permanent ships such as the Sea Leopard, Troubadour, etc, etc. But good luck getting the lease holders to either sell or even grant you a key. As theses are not associated with a specific city as with the Flagship, Timberfleet (which I mean you could try but most are either within major city buildings or adjacent to said settlements, it's pretty much a given) all other rentable ships such as both Longboat in Cordor and Penny Rose should be available for rent, although then you'll be competing with the other non-pirate folks who can't rent the Liberator or Warship at all.
Arelith Discord: https://discord.gg/mAm8M3T
Echohawk#0623
Availability - Whenever, Sweden (GMT+1)

Bozonicus

Post by Bozonicus » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:49 am

If you like the idea of being a pirate, go for it!

I don't want to hijack this, but here's a thing I don't like.

"I know what you mean. But the bottom line is that you cannot own a pirate ship. All pirate ships are rentals. If you don't own a ship, you arn't a captain, and you can't delegate/assign/build a crew. "

Absolute garbage. You can be just as much of a captain with rentals. Sencliff's biggest pirate crew initially worked with rentals until they got a boat. This is detrimental "mechanic over roleplay" mentality that works as an off-putting excuse to downplay new captains and downright harrass certain ship owners.

brunothenumerouno

Post by brunothenumerouno » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:51 am

This thread is going in two different directions, and I want to respond to both so I will break it down.

Playing a pirate right now is challenging because of few things, some of which has been laid out in this thread and some of which involves comments like "its not perfect so therefore it sucks" chasing off would be players that might help make it better. Things could be better from a development aspect, but I know Bat Country (which is his discord name but its much easier to remember how to spell then his log in name) is doing what they can to see it get done. But more important then that, Sencliff just needs players to bite the bullet and be one of the few that help it grow into all it can be. And its potential is nothing short of being the most fun thing to play on Arelith.

As for boats, that's a tricky subject. While "make more boats" seems like an easy solution, I have heard several times from people that would know a lot more then I (ie dms and devs) that its not as easy as it sounds. So taking that as truth, that leaves boats as a valuable resource that I know I hate to see sitting around the crows nest not being used. But I also know what its like to get busy in real life for a week and a half and come back to an ic argument about how I am not around enough to fulfill my ic duties. Basically, there needs to be a balance, and as long as the rules allow for players to log in just often enough to refresh things like boats and other rare commodities, getting angry at them for it is unfair.

TLDR version

- To the OP, playing a pirate has been a blast but there are some hurdles like Sencliff being completely dead more often then not that you have to be willing to jump.

- To the people saying pirates suck right now and are not worth playing, that's not only not accurate but I also think your energy could be better spent making suggestions on how to make pirates/sencliff better.

- Boats are a complicated subject, which doesn't mean that talking about it won't help sort it out, but it does mean that some patience is likely required before a proper solution is created.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:46 am

Sencliff is a ghost town because monster races never were granted access to the pirate system. If they could, I am sure Sencliff would be booming with monster races trying to escape Andunor.

brunothenumerouno

Post by brunothenumerouno » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:22 pm

I don't really have a dog in that race, but from a flavor perspective the no monster race thing seems just about right.

BlossomSeason

Post by BlossomSeason » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:31 pm

brunothenumerouno wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:22 pm
I don't really have a dog in that race, but from a flavor perspective the no monster race thing seems just about right.
In the Forgotten Realms setting, there are plenty of pirate crews which include monsters, between the Nelanther Pirates (who are present on Arelith as hostile spawns), the various pirate crews of Skullport (yes, Skullport is in the Underdark, but it opens to the Surface sea and the Skullport pirates prey on Surface ships. They don't sail the Undersea), the half-drow privateers of Dambrath (in fact, one of the queens of Dambrath was a renowned pirate before being crowned) etc.

There are numerous examples.

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:51 pm

Except it's not the case in Arelith at this time as a deliberate thematic/gameplay decision.

The Sencliff Articles denote 'membership' to a surface-based freeport. Nothing stops UD races from interacting with pirates, or engaging in piracy themselves, what with the giant floating fortress Andunor has, but they are not part of the Sencliff Pirate-system as it is now.

If a full developer/admin offers input that contradicts or counters any of the above statements, I will strike those statements out and edit my post with a link to theirs for reference.

See also past discussions of this subject:
Which races can be pirates?
Pirates and UD races

Done.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:01 pm

So as a normal "non-pirate" surfacer, one could also theoretically join a pirate crew. That right there might be answer enough if someone wanted to keep their seafaring life options open rather than "instant but closed".

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:22 pm

When Sencliff was announced as a starting location I was excited by the idea of playing a pirate from level 3 in a new area, but obviously that's not possible, you have to go to Cordor or wherever. I have a pirate in waiting for this reason but having to level elsewhere (and being a side character) means just going to Sencliff occasionally to visit, not spending a lot of time there.

Maybe if a few low level grinding dungeons and writs were added to Sencliff allowing a pirate to level up to the point they could go to the Crow's Nest or Sibiyad, and allowing them to skip Cordor entirely, the area would start having some more life?

Brandon Steel

Post by Brandon Steel » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:38 am

I’m not sure about how it is now honestly but I can say within the last few months Sencliff was a complete ghost town, maybe it’s different rather recently. I played for about two weeks and saw 2 other people that entire time, most quarters and shops were for sale as well.

I was excited at the prospect but not being able to own ships pretty much killed that for me along with the seemingly non-existent playerbase around it. Not being able to have monster races included kind of sucks too but that wasn’t really the dealbreaker.

Capt.shadow

Post by Capt.shadow » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:39 pm

Ok i didnt get a chance to really do piracy other than IG fund and contect folk who wanted too, but if i owned a pirate ship and others wanted to form crews, why not give them access?, as am basicly under the idea its like a faction hall you can give folk keys and rights to steer the ship, mean is there any reason not to? technicaly you be a pirate king if you had one or two racial pirate groups or mixed crews is there something am not ware of that would prevent this?.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:17 pm

Capt.shadow wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:39 pm
Ok i didnt get a chance to really do piracy other than IG fund and contect folk who wanted too, but if i owned a pirate ship and others wanted to form crews, why not give them access?, as am basicly under the idea its like a faction hall you can give folk keys and rights to steer the ship, mean is there any reason not to? technicaly you be a pirate king if you had one or two racial pirate groups or mixed crews is there something am not ware of that would prevent this?.
Devs don't want dedicated pirate crews, they want rental boats. It did have dedicated, own-able, pirate ships, but those were taken away.
\

Capt.shadow

Post by Capt.shadow » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:07 pm

so all ships are rented and the ones you could own have been removed...sucks but i think i get why, mean the number one compliant i did hear was that if a crew formed it would be stuck wiating around till a ship appeared on sale and even if it did it was the same problem that most settlments have with cool assests, the owner will do a highest bid sell to a small group of folk behind closed doors. and the price will some times go to triple there value. but rented boats only...i can only say least it there.

oh maybe its time for more priviteers!