Best builder mod for testing characters?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Darker_Thought

Best builder mod for testing characters?

Post by Darker_Thought » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:38 am

Hi there,

What is the best character building mod for Arelith? I'm aware that some server specific changes might not be posible to try out in the module but what is the best option?

Regards:
Darker
"Honor is that which kills one, and flatters another, and neither are wise to do unless prepared to deal with each quickly and quietly. ~Unknown Drow Proverb~"

MoreThanThree

Re: Best builder mod for testing characters?

Post by MoreThanThree » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:34 am

Humility warlock goblins ground for negative ECLs are the best for testing characters, my dude. It's best to get acquainted with the server through gameplay than through isolating yourself to off-server modules for dank XP.
20 RPR GANG

Darker_Thought

Post by Darker_Thought » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:12 am

Thanks for the tip!

I always plan out my build first so I do not invest time in a character that ends up badly. The Underdark is a harsh environment and though i favour rp interaction at all angles first. Playing a Chaotic/Neutral Evil character usually involves a bit of pvp at a few occations :D
"Honor is that which kills one, and flatters another, and neither are wise to do unless prepared to deal with each quickly and quietly. ~Unknown Drow Proverb~"

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:18 pm

There was a test server with some of Arelith’s custom changes at some point to test out builds. Not sure what happened to it...

www.wiki.arelith.com is a really good place to start and the builders on the builds subforum are great at checking builds for mistakes and the like. But usually your first character will be flawed in some way so starting out with something simple you don’t have a lot of plans for is probably good

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:44 pm

Darker_Thought wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:12 am
The Underdark is a harsh environment and though i favour rp interaction at all angles first. Playing a Chaotic/Neutral Evil character usually involves a bit of pvp at a few occations :D
The purpose of the "Meme Goblin" is to play a comic relief PC that levels relatively quickly, so that you can play a better character with a gift later on.
EDIT: The best way to test characters and builds is to just make them and roll with it.
20 RPR GANG

sad_zav

Post by sad_zav » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:27 pm

Ugh

There are PGCC's (pretty good character creators) you can download in the steam workshop. Just download the most popular one. Vanilla NWN and arelith are pretty different beasts now, so research your classes on the aforementioned wiki.

Through console commands in the pgcc, you can replicate some of what arelith has to offer. You can also make characters on arelith to then transfer over to your pgcc.

dont make a meme goblin
Currently plays Peregrine Gwil and Rick Snyder.

Formerly played Mel Aran, Antoine Moreau, and Zanril.

strong yeet

Post by strong yeet » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:32 pm

sad_zav wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:27 pm
dont make a meme goblin
it's a dark path

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:33 pm

More meme goblins

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:33 pm

Make a meme goblin. You know you want to.
20 RPR GANG

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:14 am

Alternatively, you can bounce stuff off of other players.

We have a Builds & Mechanics forum here: viewforum.php?f=36

Or if you prefer to hash out things in real time, we've a buildsnmechanics channel in the (unofficial) Arelith Discord: https://discord.gg/ddbCpRX

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:14 pm

I don't recommend using an un-modded PGCC(from the vault), as the map isn't terribly great on it's own since it was designed for modification. You might be able to find a good one on the workshop though.

As far as single-player test worlds go until an ArelithPGCC is around again, I personally recommend the Halls of Advanced Training.
It's a decent mod for character testing- it has none of the arelith specific changes, but the NPCs have all the base gear up to powerlevels far above arelith; so it's not hard to adjust to an approximation by grabbing stronger gear.
(Ie, If you're a kensai grab a haste item and and skip 2 AC on your armors(although you won't have the speed on arelith), if you're a 30 fighter, grab +6 weapons/armor, etc)