Anemoi

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Purplemyst
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Anemoi

Post by Purplemyst » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:17 pm

Anyone else seen the new server by Mithreas? It looks interesting and is currently in beta.

More details: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... earchtext=

Hellscr3am

Re: Anemoi

Post by Hellscr3am » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:29 pm

I like the setting (well what I can see from the description), the influence that are mentioned. I'm not sure I'm such a big fan of the Soft/Hard caps + Level via trainers and gold...

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:08 pm

>the first screenshot is an arrest
LMFAO classic Mith
20 RPR GANG

strong yeet

Post by strong yeet » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:19 pm

Man this is just anime with the letter o

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:03 am

Hello everyone!
- Anemoi has more meaning as a name than just Anime with an O... but to say more would stray into stuff that I want to keep FOIG :)
- Glad someone appreciated my opening screenshot :)
- Lots of work still to do on the server, and I'm adding to it gradually, but there is plenty to explore, and plenty to uncover already.

As mentioned in the write up, this project is inspired by authors like Sanderson and Ericsson, and I almost sat down to write it as a book. But then I realised that while I am not a great author, I know how to build NWN worlds, and telling the story via a PW would be more fun for me to do. Only a small amount of the story has been told so far, and I will finish it... it'll just take time :)

-Mith
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Kreydis

Post by Kreydis » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:38 am

Link wrote: However, at any time, PCs can use gold to purchase additional feats and other advancements via trainer NPCs in the module, so advancement does not require levelling up, and once PCs have enough levels + trained feats, they will have access to a variety of epic feats via the trainers.
I see you really loved that system you built in FL. Don't worry. I loved it as well.
It's a Dwarf, no it's a Dragon, no it's a Halfling! I think.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:44 am

Absolutely. Advancement without creating massive and rapid imbalance between PCs. I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea, and that's fine, but I do enjoy it :)
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Zaravella
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Zaravella » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:39 am

As a fan of Brandon Sanderson, I am highly interested in exploring this server!
"Power is not revealed by striking hard or striking often; But by striking true."
-Honore de Balzac-

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:37 am

Are some of the Arelithian scripts brought over to Anemoi?

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:18 am

Yes, loads of them. Not all, but the core engine is the Arelith one (with Irongron's full blessing - after all, I wrote half of it :)).

Of course I've made a number of tweaks and customisations. In particular since it's a low magic setting, I've done some stuff with the AI to give mundane enemies more combat tricks; they will parry, feint and taunt now (if configured to have the ability to). And I have some custom systems like "persistent people" (lets PCs post guards to protect resources vs other factions, or spawn quest NPCs that remain and respawn as long as they are needed) and the bounty/arrest system you see in the screenshot for law enforcement within the city.

I'm also using a crafting system that's a merge of Arelith's with CNR ("Craftable Natural Resources"). Repairing still exists but doesn't need skill now, just time. Craft points are earned by crafting not awarded on level up. But the system for improving equipment uses FL style crafting, which is derived from the main server enchantment basin. I have lots of work to do adding recipes still :)

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:13 pm

I might try around for the exploration. But I'm not a fan of the hard cap and leveling/gold system.

Purplemyst
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Purplemyst » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi Mith,

I don't know if you're aware, but when attempting to play Anemoi using the steam subscribe. I kept getting the message 'Missing Hak file'. I clicked on link at the bottom and downloaded the following: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nw ... rural-pack

After doing this I was able to play.

Frankly

Post by Frankly » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:10 pm

Lol the first screenshot - STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM

Frankly

Post by Frankly » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:13 pm

Also Mith you might want to look int a smart AI suite if you would like to give players that low magic CHALLANGE without just playing hp sponge or spam monster the game.

NPCs that intelligently drink potions for buffs, retreat for backup, self heal, and fight like players are a lot of fun.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:19 pm

Sounds like capping the level to 15 opens up a whole new world design-wise. I'll be definitely interested to try it out. Have you published anything storywise, some kind of a setting guide or description? Is it more like a campaign, where players try to unravel the mystery of Anemoi or is it a PW meant to perpetuate to infinity?
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:46 pm

@Purplemyst - thank you, I admit it took me a while to get steam uploads working at all, that file must be in the wrong place for the upload. I'll fix that.
@Frankly - IMO there is a balance to be drawn, as a lot of the fun in combat comes from the power fantasy element, and while some players are all about difficult combat challenges, most enjoy "challenging enough to be interesting but not really threatening" (outside of a few bosses). There is definitely scope for adding more intelligence (using potions is pretty high up my list) but things like retreat for backup are less likely to show up.
@Optustus There is a setting summary posted at https://github.com/Mithreas/CoW/tree/master/hak - it's a bit of a hybrid, where learning more about the story will hopefully make for a richer RP environment, but I'm not expecting that anyone will play it for ever (i.e. not as perpetual as Arelith).

thingsicantdo

Post by thingsicantdo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:09 pm

any PW mith helped with has to be good. i'll check it out sometime

Roarthing

Post by Roarthing » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:45 am

I popped on yesterday. Looking great.

I REALLY love the concept and theme of behind all of this, so hope it continues.

One of the players online mentioned a Discord? Couldn't see any links on Mith's Github page. Anyone?

Thanks,
RT

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:39 am

Can we get persistant people in Arelith?

Just. Uh. Asking for a friend...

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DM Symphony » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:52 am

Don't you guys have slaves for that?

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:20 am

The team is very welcome to any code written for Anemoi. Heck, it's even published. The persistent people code I actually wrote before I joined Arelith, though, and didn't really see a use for it here in 10 years.