Gentle Reminder for Native English Speakers

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Gentle Reminder for Native English Speakers

Post by Wytchee » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:31 pm

Now, I'm not a DM, so I'm taking a bit of liberty making this post; but this has been on my mind for a bit now.

To all my native English speaking friends, please keep in mind that not everyone playing on this server speaks English fluently, or as a first language. I have seen a lot of people taking another player's "poor" English grammar (which should remain OOC) and using it IC to justify calling that character stupid, or slow, etc; even characters who should be expected to have high INT scores, like wizards.

I'm sorry if this is something that I should have sent to the Active DMs so they could make a post on it, but it's been something that's been happening with stunning regularity and it just doesn't sit right with me.

All I'm saying is please use more discretion when judging the intelligence of characters, is all. Thanks.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Cortex

Re: Gentle Reminder for Native English Speakers

Post by Cortex » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:36 pm

last person i heard did that got killbashed
:)

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:41 pm

When I had first started on this server about 10+ years ago, I had no clue how to punctuate, capitalize, spell, or utilize vernacular correctly. I spoke perfect English but could not type properly (and likely still can't), and was always ridiculed for it as well. It's what made me get better, however, when I was ribbed publicly for it. Unfortunately this is not how everyone reacts to that form of criticism, so this is something I agree with. There's always the simple 'Be Nice' rule to default to.

In some cases, the person typing poorly is very young, like we all were and sometimes still are.

goatte

Post by goatte » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:17 pm

Hold Person followed by creeping venom should be right. /sarc

I played with some great players from Italy on Skal, and we all enjoyed it. You just need to give some extra time for folks to respond when you emote or speak IC. Let them know up front that it's not a problem for you.
goatte
(not a sacrificial one for the egos of other players)

WinkinBlinkin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by WinkinBlinkin » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:19 pm

There are definitely people out there like this. I am a native English speaker, but I once researched a particular dialect quite intently for one of my characters and later discovered I had ended up on someone's horrendously tasteless website. It was entirely dedicated to taking the mickey out of Arelith players with poor punctuation and grammar. I couldn't help but think that that kind of mockery spoke volumes more about the person doing it than it did about the people they were critiquing.

Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:20 pm

There are websites for that?

Some people...

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:23 pm

WinkinBlinkin wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:19 pm
It was entirely dedicated to taking the mickey out of Arelith players with poor punctuation and grammar.
Hannibal wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:41 pm
In some cases, the person typing poorly is very young, like we all were and sometimes still are.
making fun of children smh
20 RPR GANG

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:24 pm

Hannibal wrote:
When I had first started on this server about 10+ years ago, I had no clue how to punctuate, capitalize, spell, or utilize vernacular correctly.
jokes on you, you still dont ayyy

All jokes aside, I agree with Wytchee's sentiment.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

AlauraElizabeth

Post by AlauraElizabeth » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:05 pm

👍👍 YES, good job Wytchee!
It’s really tough because even as a native speaker English can get whack sometimes.
☀️Lathander is bae☀️

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:47 pm

Jack Oat wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:24 pm
Hannibal wrote:
When I had first started on this server about 10+ years ago, I had no clue how to punctuate, capitalize, spell, or utilize vernacular correctly.
jokes on you, you still dont ayyy

All jokes aside, I agree with Wytchee's sentiment.
and i copied and pasted the whole of what i said in that quote in game on accident when i went to copy&paste my accented o

in front of alot of people

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:58 pm

Hey, I don't know a scrap of another language. People with English as a second language (even bad English) get all my respect. Nothing is lost by going slow and simplifying your language for people that seem to be struggling a little.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:13 am

This is what it looks like to die from embarrassment.

I figured you were trying to copy the accented letter to paste in-game, and for whatever reason it didn't copy!

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:48 am

I have complete sympathy for those of you who have had to endure this. I'm a native english person who is not the greatest typer. Sometimes I make typos, people know it, and they still insist to making fun of that in IC. I understand it when a char doesnt understand a word i misspelled, that's fine to rp it out. BUt ridiculing people for that is just plain mean.

Kreydis

Post by Kreydis » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:26 am

Party in the forest at midnight wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:13 am

I figured you were trying to copy the accented letter to paste in-game, and for whatever reason it didn't copy!
Did. . . Did you type up a forum message, and send it in game on accident?
It's a Dwarf, no it's a Dragon, no it's a Halfling! I think.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:46 am

I kept typing <3 into the chat window. Over and over and over again. Because it's removal as a command wasn't documented. *Coughs harshly.*

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:09 am

I regret having family over and being unable to witness this glorious event.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

AlauraElizabeth

Post by AlauraElizabeth » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:26 am

Wytchee wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:09 am

I regret having family over and being unable to witness this glorious event.
It was a nice, cute break in the middle of an otherwise tense interaction ❤️. Or the beginning of several, actually lol
☀️Lathander is bae☀️

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:36 am

AlauraElizabeth wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:26 am
It was a nice, cute break in the middle of an otherwise tense interaction ❤️. Or the beginning of several, actually lol
slavs amirite lmao
20 RPR GANG

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:58 am

I'm not a native english speaker and I appreciate if people go easy on my grammar/typos.

AlauraElizabeth

Post by AlauraElizabeth » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:55 am

MoreThanThree wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:36 am

slavs amirite lmao
Hahaha ew Europeans.
(jk jk love you)
☀️Lathander is bae☀️

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:00 am

Good vibes, y'all. Though I'm not sure if Hannibal's own experience of being effectively bullied into learning the old literary English produces the best results across the board (as also said by herself).

As a non-native, my native language tends to influence my use of English a lot. It has no sense of word order, so sometimes my sentences have words in funny places. I also can't start sentences with long, stringy subordinate clauses, it's just weird to me. I've also gone through so many embarrassing phases learning English as a non-native, I don't think any of it was particularly nice or motivating, just utterly humiliating and terrible.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

livingNPC

Post by livingNPC » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:15 am

Wytchee wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:31 pm
Now, I'm not a DM, so I'm taking a bit of liberty making this post; but this has been on my mind for a bit now.

To all my native English speaking friends, please keep in mind that not everyone playing on this server speaks English fluently, or as a first language. I have seen a lot of people taking another player's "poor" English grammar (which should remain OOC) and using it IC to justify calling that character stupid, or slow, etc; even characters who should be expected to have high INT scores, like wizards.

I'm sorry if this is something that I should have sent to the Active DMs so they could make a post on it, but it's been something that's been happening with stunning regularity and it just doesn't sit right with me.

All I'm saying is please use more discretion when judging the intelligence of characters, is all. Thanks.
It's against the BE NICE rule and should be reported.

goatte

Post by goatte » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:29 am

Of course, how many of our characters are native-speakers of the Common language? Or speak dialects? I used to play my Dwarf with a slight German accent meets Appalachia as opposed to the pretty common Scottish accent many use for Dwarves. Accents are fun, and it can easily be excused when we slip out of them at times.

Some folks just "have" to feel superior to others or tell them they're having "wrong fun." Bullies gonna bully. Shun 'em when yer can.

*shrugs* I'm just here to play D&D online, enable others to have fun, and have some fun, myself.
goatte
(not a sacrificial one for the egos of other players)

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:01 am

In all my years playing on arelith i have never had a issue with this. Quiet the opposite for me, esspecialy in my lightkeep time, there was always someone ooc hitting me a tell with tips on how to change my english for the better.

I know my self as a dutch person our grammer is completly different in many ways fron the english. And it will show in my roleplay. I honestly dont care at all if others wish to ridicule me for it. And i will just walk away never to play with that person again.

So do love the statement you are making here wythee. Apparently it is needed. I know in the past we did have a few grammar nazis around. But feel they have gotten a lot less.