Gentle Reminder for Native English Speakers

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

WinkinBlinkin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Gentle Reminder for Native English Speakers

Post by WinkinBlinkin » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:31 pm

Most set on winning does not equate to most pissed off by losing, by the way. I think this has somehow been misunderstood.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:41 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail. What I thought I saw in the "why is it not cool to just keep it IC and chill" was the very old and unopposed idea that we can just will ourselves to be nonchalant about the RP we're in and not take things personally by just imagining through sheer force of will that everything that happens as long as it is IC can be taken impersonally. My whole point, I will put this as easily and shortly as I can, is that there is no real division between ourselves and our characters, ever. That our characters are just products that we choose to pretend possible and what they are ALWAYS are, in fact, ourselves interacting with other real people. I don't mean this in a bullcrap kitchen psychological way; I just think that the idea that there would be anything else than the player herself involved in any given RP situation, is profoundly false. Essentially I claim that the character doesn't exist and it's not alive in the situation, even though it may seem so, but that in fact it is always the player, pretending to be something in tandem with other people.

That's why I find the whole argument for "IC is IC, get used to it" so very underrating and insensitive towards the prism of feelings and situations people actually live through in this game. It's also why I don't think that we should decide for other people how they're allowed to feel about their characters; it's not ultimately something we can decide collectively through peer pressure for other people. The best medicine is to always have strong and continuous OOC rapport. Sorry sorry sorry for derailing, feel free to continue in PMs, on Discord, make a new thread, whatever.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:58 pm

Some never have a true separation of IC and OOC, but that doesn't make us all method actors. Me and some my DnD buddies will literally roll randomly to decide what our character will fo when we are unsure how they would react vs common sense. Not trampling another player that has problems separating is fine as again the best role player makes others havee a goodtime. However someone else not realizing i am not my character can hqve serious problems. Especially if we are in underdark.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

WinkinBlinkin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by WinkinBlinkin » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:01 pm

Sorry for the derail also.

Most people I know who are pissed off by losing in PvP tend to be upset it went to PvP in the first place. People who build for PvP and enjoy PvP are obviously not going to be in this group. Its completely false to say people who most want to win most hate to lose. Really, people who least want rp to be decided by PvP prowess most hate to lose PvP. People who most want rp to be decided by PvP prowess least hate to lose PvP. I've noticed a lot of power building cliques get really frustrated by intricate political rp. That's because people who most want rp to be decided by mechanical strength least want to lose political battles that don't take into account their mechanical superiority. People who hate being beaten in PvP alternatively tend to love being beaten by subterfuge and intrigue. Everyone wants to play the game they want to play. These two groups aren't mutually exclusive, and few of us are one extreme or the other.

There's nothing to be proud about by engaging in PvP on a character you've maxed to lvl 30 in 3 weeks and then being cool if you lose. You are still emotionally invested, you're emotionally invested in being a good builder, a good twitch gamer. You're happy to write off one character as being down to a bad build, but if you continually made characters that kept getting beaten in combat, you'd just switch to a different game entirely.

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:58 am

What does any of this have to do with speaking English? Are the English powerbuilders?
20 RPR GANG

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:34 am

MoreThanThree wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:58 am
What does any of this have to do with speaking English? Are the English powerbuilders?
Nothing. And if the past four centuries have taught us anything, yes.

Lock thread maybe.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:05 am

So this has been derailed and the lock called for, but I just want to add something. English is a very liberal language where the rules almost don't matter. If you speak in even the most broken, confused English, an English-speaker will still be able to understand your point. I'm in a non-English speaking country atm and it's startling the amount of people I meet with no faith in their English speaking ability, who warn me of it, then proceed to speak almost fluently. The intent of their words however mistaken is always obvious. Of course, I can't even speak more than two sentences in their language.

People who pick on others' language IC know exactly what they're doing. Part of being a good roleplayer is fostering the enjoyment of the other player, and trying to presage what they want out of the experience. Yes, this is an English server and so there can't be much sympathy for those unable to speak it at all, but I feel this thread is not about them, but rather the high performers or natives with dyslexia who are forced to deal with their RP being derailed or have unsolicited, condescending "advice" on the regular that it impacts their enjoyment and it even informs the choices they make IG.

And ftr, I've found that the rules lawyers are always boring writers and sometimes even grammatically troubled themselves too. That's not even meant as a platitude, I've actually seen that to be true in almost every case.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:48 pm

Can't help but agree with everything thingsicantdo has said.

If you have a legitimate gripe with a person in game, take it up with them OOC. If you're typing English as a second or third language, type confidently. We got your back, & will help along the way. Damn the haters, they don't matter.

Lexx

Post by Lexx » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:28 pm

I just want to thank those who reiterate this policy. I am a long term rper who has played since NWN first released. But as someone who struggles daily with dyslexia and dyscalculia issues. It helps reinforce my confidence knowing the general community outlook is one of acceptance rather than snobbishness when i drop a mistake in RP. Thanks all the team at Arelith for that.

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:34 am

It didn't get locked after allall
20 RPR GANG