Attempting for Pale Master Application

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Flayeriv

Attempting for Pale Master Application

Post by Flayeriv » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:05 pm

Hey people.

So, about a month ago I applied for a Pale Master token, and a week later was given the following response:

"We are going to deny it for now, but feel free to try again with the same character and concept."

Which I am COMPLETELY fine with, however I'm running out of ideas on how to achieve that.

IC: There is no one I can ask for help or advice. The only necromancers I'm aware of in character are either expelled from the city, pro-life and hate the idea of anyone pursuing undeath, or are surfacers who won't work with me because I'm a drow (and chaotic, and evil, among other reasons).

Also IC: I've been spending a lot of time in the bonefields (negative energy galore), have read every book on the subject I can find in the Sorcere archives (including two in game volumes on embalming and the palemaster speciality), and am not willing to spend a lot of time in the desert. In 'theory' I know everything I need to know, but unless the plan is for me to slowly remove my own organs and embalm them one by one while sustaining myself with negative energy and... well let's just say every avenue I can think of requires a DM to be present and despite multiple call outs in-game over the past fortnight it's not happened. Note, this is probably because I'm Australian and thus am most active outside of DM timezones.

So basically I'm at the point of mental exhaustion on my end. Every idea I come up with requires a DM to be present, I can't find an in-game alternative. So throwing it up the OOC side. Open to suggestions on how to pull this off.

Azensor

Re: Attempting for Pale Master Application

Post by Azensor » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:10 pm

tried asking around for a pale master 'teacher'/ someone to guide you. correct me if im wrong but aren't palemasters mostly about augmenting their bodys via necromancy/implanting dead-parts.

Flayeriv

Post by Flayeriv » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:03 pm

In Character, yes I've tried. And I've actually found someone via Meta-game willing to help, and if all else fails I fully intend to take them up on it. But my preference is vastly in favour of doing everything in-game and at present there are no pale-masters or necromancers able to help.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:13 pm

Use this advice in the most conservative and sparing manner possible: There's bad metagaming and good metagaming. Bad metagaming is the kind that uses OOC information to give you an advantage over other players. Good metagaming is the kind which, for no mechanical gain, helps players to work around the disruptive nature of life interspersed with online play, to connect and create RP opportunities.

If "Oops, I accidentally mentioned my interest in this topic as I was passing by this other guy who I know is interested" creates an opportunity for you to get connected and involved and do some fun RP, that's not such a bad thing.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:16 pm

Find someone IG willing to help, then arrange a quest with a DM and that person. Might I recommend joining a faction, perhaps a faction devoted to magic, in the Underdark? And if there are indeed exiled necromancers, then why do you not seek them out IG? How hard did you actually try to accomplish this IG before resorting to the forums?

I also imagine that it makes a negative impression on the DMs for you to come here on the forums with an OOG post asking for help with what is supposed to be an IC matter. Whether or not you are is a separate matter, but I'd probably ask the forum mods to delete this post.

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:45 pm

I would hope a DM wouldn’t frown too much on someone asking for advice because they’re frustrated about the process, especially if they are new.

To the OP.. if you are a drow then you’re in the underdark and there are plenty of avenues for working with other necro-types. Or just other evil folk, if you can’t find a pale master mentor then find other kinds of associates. There is a version of the arcane tower below you can join, for example. All of your RP doesn’t have to be around this one goal either.. playing a well rounded character could do more for you than putting all your effort into getting this token. Find other low level types to associate with and discuss your ambitions, even if they have nothing to do with helping you achieve them.

Put in the sincere effort and be very patient, write another application with updates every few weeks or so and PM it to the DM team here. I think they would prefer correspondence about prestige class tokens all happened through the forum instead of on the dm channel in game where they are probably handling many conversations at once.

Things do move slowly here so I recommend patience... you may very well pass the point where you’d have wanted to take your first pale master level, in which case I’d say keep leveling up and plan to -losexp back down and rebuild when the token is finally approved.

Flayeriv

Post by Flayeriv » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:18 pm

Many thanks for the responses! Taking it OOC has actually resulted in someone contacting me with a way to do it IC (or at least get the IC ball rolling), so we've started the first few steps and are planning some in future. They're using an old character they haven't played in weeks so it's actually not a character I would have met otherwise.

Hopefully this progresses further and into longterm roleplay after the fact as well.

Again, thanks all.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:11 am

Also, keep in mind that the DMs are watching you and many times moreso when you put in a specific application. There are a handful of races, classes, and concepts the staff has deemed necessary to put behind various "walls".

You have chosen one.

This class in particular has some very specific RP requirements. The staff could have a plethora of reasons to deny it for now...everything from an unhealthy profusion in the number of active PMs to them being unsatisfied with your current RP arc or efforts. Without them weighing in, the only thing you can really do is be committed to your concept and create engaging, inclusive RP faithful to your class aspirations.

Good luck!
Last edited by RedGiant on Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:59 am

Dr. B wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:16 pm
I also imagine that it makes a negative impression on the DMs for you to come here on the forums with an OOG post asking for help with what is supposed to be an IC matter. Whether or not you are is a separate matter, but I'd probably ask the forum mods to delete this post.
There is nothing wrong with a player asking for advise, tips and such on how to build their character backstory and ensure proper lore is met. Though if it ever was: "Hey, I need you to do this so I can do X". Then it would be different.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:02 am

Dr. B wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:16 pm
Uhh what?

Dude we're supposed to be, like... a community, or something.

It's not like they're sharing IC info. OP is just asking for advice in regard to a concept that is difficult for any player to approach and execute. Palemaster is hard to play right, but from what roleplay I have seen of OP (and I've forward this to the DM Team), they're more than capable of handling it.

Good luck IC with your concept, OP! Hope it all works out. x
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Flayeriv

Post by Flayeriv » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:55 am

I don't know Wytchee. If it works out you might have to RP with said Pale Master. :p

Dun dun duuuuuuuuunnn

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:12 pm

Absolutely we as a community should help you with this! Ideas for characters should be discussed or toyed with abundantly and not kept as some secrets. The nerd we practise and talk here has little adaptability in the outside world, so the last thing I want to do is to sequester it here where it's actually got value.

It sounds you've got it sorted out for now at least with the IC palemastery going on, but I'd imagine special characters can require quite a bit of substance and purpose in order to get approved that doesn't necessarily require IC action. I've personally approached special characters through the concept of subject matter in that your character contains information and a purpose: what is most important for you in playing this character and what makes it important to the scene you would RP in. Just as importantly, you have to show you have a good understanding of the class and can RP it with taste and fidelity.

Sorry to hear you're Australian, mate. <.<
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Zed

Post by Zed » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:42 am

There are several well known Palemasters, and... uh... a few ... that openly flaunt their augmentations... I would ask them.... I certainly know a few that would be 100% willing to tutor any new palemaster.

IT would be the best route to go is to find a master.

good man of god
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by good man of god » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:27 am

Zed wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:42 am
There are several well known Palemasters, and... uh... a few ... that openly flaunt their augmentations... I would ask them.... I certainly know a few that would be 100% willing to tutor any new palemaster.

IT would be the best route to go is to find a master.
Ziiiiiiiing.

Previous:
Tornius Daressin
Matthew Daressin-Gravelle
Asvusha (Blake Lynk)
Sebastian Webster

Current:
Inkwell Thornwhisper

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:13 am

Here's a general bit of advice: you have your character figured out (internal factors) so now you need to make him tangible to other characters in the game world (external factors).

Don't focus solely on things that will prove your character worthy of the PM token, focus on making your character's journey towards it enjoyable for the characters you meet. It does not have to be all about the PM stuff. Just focus on learning and discussing anything about soul/body, death/life, animation of inanimate objects, withstanding pain etc. with any and all. That way you can engage in rp with anyone from mages to druids to clerics to monks, warriors and.. everyone else