What do you seek in an antagonist?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

ForgottenBhaal

Re: What do you seek in an antagonist?

Post by ForgottenBhaal » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:00 pm

I seek respect. A person whom can be respectful yet menacing. And I ment respectful in an OOC manner, that is.

Void

Post by Void » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:10 am

Zed wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:47 am
Without going into IC banter about who does what...etc....etc

What do you seek in seeing an antagonist?
Convincing/interesting character and personality.

Basically someone who says "I'll kill all evil" or someone who says "I'll destroy all good" is not itneresting. There should be more to it.
Zed wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:47 am
Do you see these antagonists around? Would you be willing to play one? and why or why not?
I''ve not encountered anyone who would qualify as an "antagonist" yet for any of my characters.

My highest level character whom I recently retired managed to reach epic levels without having a conflict with anyone despite relying on fiendish summons. I had few close calls though, those were fun.I also had awkward situation where my other character was roflstomped for a very weird reason, and eventually had to be retired (as the only other option was to go on an endless pvp spree, which didn't fit the archetype). That didn't qualify as antagonist either.

I recall raid on arcane tower. That was fun, but it was one time thing.

All things considered, and "antagonist" is something that would be extremely difficult to pull off. This is someone who would need consistent interesting/powerful personality and could interact with people without devolving into petty harassment. Bumping into someone like that could be quite fun.

One thing I'd recommend people who seek to be an antagonist, though...

Don't use message boards and messengers to deliver threats or proclaim something or argue. A powerful character have their action speak for themselves.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:23 am

yeah my close to have an antagonist, but didn't due to not playing enough, was my character's best friend turning more evil than your average banite.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

Leshpar

Post by Leshpar » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:54 am

For me, I am being an antagonist by trying to gain acceptance despite what he is with my character. He is a good monster and trying to get people not to see him as a monster just from his outward appearance has proven difficult. Its gotten me killed a bunch, but who cares? Its also borderline gotten me kicked out of andunor, but again its all in good story for those on the surface I've involved.

Basically to me its something that makes a character think outside of his comfort zone. That maybe there is more to the world than the black and white that has been taught all their lives.

Ramza

Post by Ramza » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:13 pm

For an antagonist I always want someone whom is fighting for their own goals and has a very real chance of succeeding should the opposite side fail in their attempts to stop them. Having both sides of a conflict be able to have a win condition is very important. Nothing is less fun than having a one sided series of interactions that is completely devoid of tension.

Ryudo

Post by Ryudo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:58 am

It was briefly touched but yeah an antagonist isn't exactly a villain. And the best antagonists are those who test the hero's beliefs. You do not have to be evil for this, you do not even have to be the enemy to do this but you may become it. Having an ideological clash with a player that escalates more and more is to me the core of what an antagonist is. A good villian threatens a large group of people, a good antagonist threatens the beliefs of a small handful of people.

goatte

Post by goatte » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:06 am

Sounds like you all may be describing competitors more than an antagonists. A competitor you can make deals with out of necessity, oppose when you must, but get back to the struggle for resources against afterwards. An antagonist only has one path ending in the death of the protagonist or the antagonist, in my humble opinion.
goatte
(not a sacrificial one for the egos of other players)

Disciprine Come From Within

Post by Disciprine Come From Within » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:42 am

What makes a good antagonist in my opinion is presence. And I'm speaking strictly from the lens of a villain archetype. A good villain is one that others talk about when (s)he isn't around, who doesn't have to post messages because others will scream about their actions for them, usually good types that want to be opposition. The most difficult part I think in presences is someone you can communicate with, but always from a perspective of "If I make the wrong move, say the wrong thing, I'm dead or worse." A villain that is the most awe inspiring is one you get to see and hear but you're always on the wrong foot, teetering close to the edge of direct conflict. A villain has to be able to fight as well, but one that is only focused on the combat aspect becomes dull faster than the intrigue of the one that would push that presence in ways where you don't want to fight them, take the loss, and flee with your life.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:54 am

goatte wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:06 am
An antagonist only has one path ending in the death of the protagonist or the antagonist, in my humble opinion.
It may be an inevitability, but acting on it as a foregone conclusion makes for a lame story.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:48 am

Someone who will work with me cooperatively from a story-telling perspective for the sake of working against my character in a way that advances both stories meaningfully- and the flexibility to include people that may try to get involved along the way (from both sides) in a similar fashion.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002