Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Weave Master return?

Post by Irongron » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:30 pm

Peppermint wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:10 am
No.

Like much of the stuff removed from that era: horrible concept, will never return.
(Posting this from my phone while out of country so will lack my usual lengthy style.)

Saw this thread and immediately scanned for peppermints reply, as we were very much of the same mind here and suspected he might have spared me the need to answer, but as he was blunt I'll give a bit more insight:

I absolutely get these were fun classes to play, and do understand that they're missed. The truth is though I was gunning for them since day 1 (along with old sunmons), because they really had to go. They simply did not work with how nwn is designed, and could not be made to without a massive redesign of the module, Dungeons and mechanics (spell nerfs)

One could theoretically make a new server to fit infinite casting of this kind, but it would not be Arelith.

Custom paths and classes come and go, some even return, but weave masters really are gone for good.

I think the question posed by this thread has been definitively answered.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:49 pm

Irongron wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:30 pm
Peppermint wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:10 am
No.

Like much of the stuff removed from that era: horrible concept, will never return.
(Posting this from my phone while out of country so will lack my usual lengthy style.)

Saw this thread and immediately scanned for peppermints reply, as we were very much of the same mind here and suspected he might have spared me the need to answer, but as he was blunt I'll give a bit more insight:

I absolutely get these were fun classes to play, and do understand that they're missed. The truth is though I was gunning for them since day 1 (along with old sunmons), because they really had to go. They simply did not work with how nwn is designed, and could not be made to without a massive redesign of the module, Dungeons and mechanics (spell nerfs)

One could theoretically make a new server to fit infinite casting of this kind, but it would not be Arelith.

Custom paths and classes come and go, some even return, but weave masters really are gone for good.

I think the question posed by this thread has been definitively answered.

Does this mean the future of Warlocks is in doubt?

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:19 am

I was the creator of Weave Masters, and my birth sign is Cancer. Coincidence? I think not! :-)
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:29 am

Rwby wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:49 pm
Does this mean the future of Warlocks is in doubt?
Not as has ever been mentioned. The big difference between warlocks and weave masters is that warlocks have very limited, carefully curated spell lists. If a spell on a warlock is too powerful, that spell can be swapped for a different one, as was the case with Feylocks losing Mass Haste.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:22 am

Mithreas wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:19 am
I was the creator of Weave Masters, and my birth sign is Cancer. Coincidence? I think not! :-)
Dude :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: legendary
I actually cried a little

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:37 am

Mithreas wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:19 am
I know how you dislike the Vancian casting - and I'm in absolute agreement with you! We're few and far between, but Weavemaster was definitely a path that was enjoyed in its own unique ways. It had lots of weaknesses, especially later on, but was strong and fun in the early game.

I'm a big fan of the Mana system myself and would love one day to see a path that incorporates that. But, no pressure at all there :P

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:00 am

I'd be just as happy to see 5E style casting where you can blow a higher level slot to cast a lower level spell. It's always bothered me that an epic mage - sorcerer, especially - has the power to bring down a meteor storm and level a battlefield, but just can't quite muster one last Mage Armor.

That'd be a whole new game engine, though.