NWN: EE is great!

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Stath

NWN: EE is great!

Post by Stath » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:17 am

Why all the hate for Beamdog??

They're a fantastic company with a long and peerless track record, beloved by all for taking the old classics we all know and love and improving them with fantastic new modern writing, subplots and companions! Not to mention their work on the technical side of updating said games.

Beandog and EE appreciation thread!!!
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: NWN: EE is great!

Post by Twily » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:30 am

I definitely think NWN:EE is highly beneficial to the NWN community and for the longevity of the game. Overall I say it's a good thing, and is worth the investment.

Although that said(and I don't mean to derail the thread, simply answer the question you asked), I can also see why some would be upset with them.
Beamdog's enhanced versions always bring improvements, but historically they never bring just improvements.
I have the enhanced versions of both Baulder's Gate 1 and 2.
I've encountered a variety of bugs in these games that didn't exist in the original, and NWN seems to be on the same track(the weird slight auto-turn when walking straight with the keyboard, removal of the sound settings, bugged 2d/3d sound slider, pasted linebreaks from notepads not working for most people, etc). We're reliant on Beamdog to fix these bugs, and if they decide not to then we're going to be stuck with them.
Baulder's Gate 1 and 2 EE have been stuck with a number of bugs that were previously non-existent for years now with no fix in sight. I just hope that isn't their plan with NWN.

After factoring in the player mods that exist for the original Baulder's Gates, I actually get more stability and better game play from those, even on my relatively new Windows 8.1 machine. The only great thing BG:EE brought to the table(imo) was the ability to connect to servers without being on a LAN or VLAN(which don't get me wrong, it is amazing), but even this isn't entirely bug free(occasional disconnects/connection issues, as we're also seeing on NWN:EE so far).

This isn't to say that I think the company nor their products are bad or anything like that, there's no denying that NWN:EE(and all the other EE versions) brought new life to a game that it's been missing for ages now(not to mention new features*); but we're at the mercy of a company that doesn't have a perfect track record with their games. I just hope they put more work and focus on NWN:EE than they did BG:EE. If they do, we shouldn't have any problems long term.

*How many of these are thanks to EE is hard to say, but I'm sure some if not most are related.
-The ability to add line breaks in game while writing notes
-Cross-Server portals
-Raised player caps
-Spellcheck
-Assembly Templates for archers
-Per Part armor colors

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:00 am

When can my elf-tiefling have a horned head model?! REE

.. EE is pretty cool! I like that the game's life has been extended. I don't want it to end.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:12 am

It's about 1000% less buggy for me since I can play on a Mac natively now and not have to use the clunky portingkit or wine. Beamdog also made it so I can play BG 2 on my phone. The actively community here has doubled, more or less, and they've made some great games easily available to a modern audience and new generation. I know there's some lingering issues (I miss disguise, etc) but we're much better off for having EE than not.

Crackle

Post by Crackle » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:22 am

We're angry because whilst some people's issues have been fixed, a great many of us have been downgraded from playing full graphics, full building view and perfect pathing to having to run potatoe graphics which somehow still has drastically reduced FPS in a lot of areas and the pathing is so broken you can't even click around a corner to navigate without your character either stopping or running into the wall itself. Add on that it's been months and these issues still haven't been fixed, I think the community has a right to be getting salty now.