Enhanced Edition Crashes

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Invader_Nym

Enhanced Edition Crashes

Post by Invader_Nym » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:59 am

Any news on if/when NWN:enhanced edition will run on laptops without crashing? The game crashes routinely on transitions on both my laptops. I've been very patient but it doesn't seem like there's been much progress in this area.

Invader_Nym

Re: Enhanced Edition Crashes

Post by Invader_Nym » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:11 am

I don't understand how I can lose functionality buying an update that's supposed to be optimized for modern hardware.

ArcanaFTW

Post by ArcanaFTW » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:39 am

I believe it's less an issue with Beamdog, and more to do with something on Intel's side that's being updated soon, hopefully. Might be wrong though.

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:01 am

Yep, Beamdog is dependent on Intel to fix their drivers, though maaaaybe they look at a work-around on their side.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:06 am

works on my laptop just fine
Yes I can sign

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:30 am

The Intel thing is sucky and it's not a valid excuse IMO to blame it on Intel, Beamdog of course pushed an update which doesn't work, one which wasn't in any way critical (since 1.69 is fine). Unfortunately this seems to be a trend, each patch breaking something that didn't need playing about with.

Aside from that, It's considerably more unstable for a lot of people (including me), that aren't using intel.

All the while we've seen very little progress on 'unhardcoding' things, or a variety of features promised.

It astonishes me that people still excuse such, repeatedly, shoddy work.

That said, maybe they will make it better, eventually, but Arelith forums aren't the place for it. Yell at Beamdog!
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

Winter Is Coming

Post by Winter Is Coming » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:11 am

I've noticed that the crashes occur much less frequently in the Underdark. It is impossible for me to spend more than 5 minutes in Skal and I can't even login if I have a character in Cordor but for whatever reason, the Underdark and most associated zones around Andunor work just fine. I've been playing a Drow character for the past few days and have experienced minimal crashing, maybe you will have the same luck. Hoping they soon fix the Intel issue, seems like something that isn't exactly high on Beamdog's list of priorities, for whatever reason.

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:30 am

I tried it with Integrated Graphics (Intel HD) yesterday. I feel the pain of Intel users.
Please don't feed my sister.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:35 am

I have to say, while the game is 'Playable', the difficulty of logging into servers, random hang-crashes on finishing transitions, and the occasional flat out game instantly closing are all definately brand new bugs that did not exist under OldWinter.

While the re-occurence of the old gamespy lobby is a +1, overall the game is much worse than it used to be. Given it wasn't exactly 2.99, I am extremely dissapointed with Beamdog, who are already planning more paid DLC.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:00 pm

:)

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:30 pm

Cortex wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:00 pm
:b:retty much

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DM Symphony » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:56 pm

Sockss wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:30 am
The Intel thing is sucky and it's not a valid excuse IMO to blame it on Intel, Beamdog of course pushed an update which doesn't work, one which wasn't in any way critical (since 1.69 is fine). Unfortunately this seems to be a trend, each patch breaking something that didn't need playing about with.

That said, maybe they will make it better, eventually, but Arelith forums aren't the place for it. Yell at Beamdog!
Beamdog knows about the issue. They even care about it more than you do, because they are losing thousands of dollars because of it, and you are not.

Meanwhile, they did not "break it", Beamdog did not take 1.69 and patch it with some random circle kick changes and add depth of field blur. They made an all new game that was able to load all of the content from the original game, and make it look and appear similarly so that you could still play and think you were still playing Bioware's game.

The intel crashes have been at the top of their list of priorities, but at the bottom of their list of things they work on each day because there are lots of problems with NWN, and there always have been, but working on the Intel problem without being an Intel employee and being able to make your own Intel drivers means company time spent working on a product you don't have the ability to change, documentation for, and expertise with, that has a huge chance of accomplishing nothing.

...Instead of any number of hundreds of well-documented flagrant errors with Bioware's 1.69 that can finally be fixed with source code that they already work with everyday, and of course a huge number of other bugs their own adaptation of NWN created that affect everyone, that also need to be fixed and are known to be able to be fixed right now with a predictable amount of time investment.

I don't think it doesn't suck, I understand being bummed about it. Maybe you're even furious, but keep in mind that they are also furious, and while Beamdog might be listening to us, there's no way that Intel is going to get the call from Beamdog and answer with "oh my gosh, we didn't realize we screwed up GL calls for that series of drivers, we will get this sorted by Monday!"

Meanwhile, I'm not looking to take bullets for Beamdog, I've got problems with decisions they've made and the way that they've "fixed" old problems too, and this is totally not one of them.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:45 pm

DM Symphony wrote: Beamdog knows about the issue. They even care about it more than you do, because they are losing thousands of dollars because of it, and you are not.
Unfortunately I couldn't care how much assumed money they have lost (Which, personally, I don't believe will be significant at all to them - or you'd see a better development process), unfortunately I'm not sympathetic to companies who take money and do not deliver.
DM Symphony wrote: Meanwhile, they did not "break it", Beamdog did not take 1.69 and patch it with some random circle kick changes and add depth of field blur. They made an all new game that was able to load all of the content from the original game, and make it look and appear similarly so that you could still play and think you were still playing Bioware's game.
I'm not suffering from the illusion that it's still Bioware's game, it's significantly less stable then 1.69.

I haven't looked under the hood, but I assume that the majority of the code was not created by Beamdog - given the faults in 1.69 that are still present. Why would they build a new game and include some of the same problems?

Regardless; from a players perspective, it is all they did. Along with make the game unstable and even unplayable for some.
DM Symphony wrote: The intel crashes have been at the top of their list of priorities, but at the bottom of their list of things they work on each day because there are lots of problems with NWN, and there always have been, but working on the Intel problem without being an Intel employee and being able to make your own Intel drivers means company time spent working on a product you don't have the ability to change, documentation for, and expertise with, that has a huge chance of accomplishing nothing.

...Instead of any number of hundreds of well-documented flagrant errors with Bioware's 1.69 that can finally be fixed with source code that they already work with everyday, and of course a huge number of other bugs their own adaptation of NWN created that affect everyone, that also need to be fixed and are known to be able to be fixed right now with a predictable amount of time investment.

I don't think it doesn't suck, I understand being bummed about it. Maybe you're even furious, but keep in mind that they are also furious, and while Beamdog might be listening to us, there's no way that Intel is going to get the call from Beamdog and answer with "oh my gosh, we didn't realize we screwed up GL calls for that series of drivers, we will get this sorted by Monday!"

Meanwhile, I'm not looking to take bullets for Beamdog, I've got problems with decisions they've made and the way that they've "fixed" old problems too, and this is totally not one of them.
I think it's a case of over promising and significantly under-delivering. I agree that it does boil down to being able to predict the amount of time investment. Fixing a large portion of these issues will take considerable time, delivering on promises will take time and time as the old adage goes, is money. Currently they don't seem willing to even invest time in testing patches, let alone fix critical bugs. Currently they seem content to skate by on minimal, niche features (that in large parts already exist in the community) that don't always work.

So, I stand by the original suggestion to yell at Beamdog. Don't feel sorry for yelling at a company to do the job and deliver what you paid them for. A bad reputation can become more costly than fixing issues; when that's the case you'll see things change - if there's no financial incentive to make a good game, it won't happen. Promises don't mean anything in the real world.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:56 pm

Yell at Intel if you want it fixed faster. Otherwise you're just being obtuse.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:12 pm

JediMindTrix wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:56 pm
Yell at Intel if you want it fixed faster. Otherwise you're just being obtuse.
Beamdog: Modern hardware supported! Buy our game, yay

1.69: Works
Enhanced: Doesn't work

Beamdog: We know it's broken but, buy some DLC.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:24 pm

Sockss: Complains about Intel crashes, blames Beamdog
Symphony: Explains clearly that Beamdog can't fix an Intel problem for Intel
Sockss: Finds another reason to complain about Beamdog

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:33 pm

Hey, maybe if we complain enough they'll go bust and never release any more patches!

That'll show em.

Rags

Post by Rags » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:35 pm

I'm unfortunately on the 'harder' side of the intel crashes. Since their beginning, I've been completely unable to play Arelith, and have a large amount of difficult accessing areas outside of the server as well.

Sadly, I'm confined to the toolset. If it weren't for me being fascinated with the toolset, building, and coding, I'd have dropped the game.

This still has been a rather large sore for me, as there are areas that I build, that crash me. Thus, I can't even see the final product of some of my creations. It's insanely disappointing, and occasionally takes my motivation to the garbage disposal.

I've been quite supportive of Beamdog, and their efforts up until this issue. While I understand they're doing everything they can, I find it immensely difficult to be supportive while I've lost my ability to play, and sometimes build, for such a long time.

The updated models are great, the code enhancements are great, and the other slew of improvements are great. However, ultimately, I don't get to really experience that - and neither do a large amount of users.

If I can't experience all these great improvements, despite paying for it, why do they matter to me?

In short, sadly, they don't.

Beamdog can patch and continue to improve the game, as they undoubtedly will. They've done some great things. However, until I can actually play the game, I can't really call this 'enhanced.' At the very most, for me, it's 'broken.'

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:37 pm

Sockss wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:12 pm
Beamdog: We know it's broken but, buy some DLC.
After some cursory searching, I can't find any statements about new DLC for NWN:EE. Are you talking about Darkness over Daggerford?
Complain to Ossian Studio's, not Beamdog, for updating their module with bugfixes/decent voice acting/new music productions/module rebalancing. Or just play the free one. Beamdog didn't work on it.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:46 pm

JediMindTrix wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:24 pm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm complaining about a very lacklustre, buggy game in its entireity. This is one of the things that doesn't work.

The point was that it works for 1.69 and doesn't for enhanced.

Given the quality of updates received (Clearly not even tested at all), I wouldn't give Beamdog the benefit of the doubt that it's not them that's the problem.
Rwby wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:33 pm
Hey, maybe if we complain enough they'll go bust and never release any more patches!

That'll show em.
Whatever would happen without all these non-functional updates. It'd be a travesty.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:49 pm

Sockss wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:46 pm
JediMindTrix wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:24 pm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm complaining about a very lacklustre, buggy game in its entireity. This is one of the things that doesn't work.

The point was that it works for 1.69 and doesn't for enhanced.

Given the quality of updates received (Clearly not even tested at all), I wouldn't give Beamdog the benefit of the doubt that it's not them that's the problem.
Rwby wrote:

That'll show em.
Whatever would happen without all these non-functional updates. It'd be a travesty.

Yeah! I certainly don't want bugfixes. Or new animations! Or a working Lance! Hell, any additional horse contents.
And we certainly don't want new clothing options or Tilesets.

Down with Beamdog!

Phaesporia

Post by Phaesporia » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:53 pm

Invader_Nym wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:59 am
Any news on if/when NWN:enhanced edition will run on laptops without crashing? The game crashes routinely on transitions on both my laptops. I've been very patient but it doesn't seem like there's been much progress in this area.
This is the OP. As much as I personally dislike Beamdog for the “enhanced” edition they “gave” us, I think we should spend less time arguing with each other and more time either answering Nym’s question or just reading silently. Nothing will come from arguing aside from upsetting people and eventually getting the thread locked. I don’t think this thread should be locked. I think it should stay open so intel users know they’re not alone and have somewhere to go if/when the crashing bug is fixed. I’m not saying you guys should hug each other, but please at least be civil for the sake of the OP and the thread it created to not be locked.
+1
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:58 am
This is absolutely astonishing, in that my personal suggestion would be the total removal of the mechanical slavery system.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:56 pm

Rwby wrote:

That'll show em.

Yeah! I certainly don't want bugfixes. Or new animations! Or a working Lance! Hell, any additional horse contents.
And we certainly don't want new clothing options or Tilesets.

Down with Beamdog!
What bugs have they fixed?

What new animations are in the game?

Which working lance item have they added? (Ignoring entirely that the lances in NWN are tourney lances and thus intentionally non-lethal and thus it makes absolute sense for them to be d0 weapons)

What new clothing options?

What new tilesets?

As far as I can tell, Beamdog's opened up a lot of back-end scripting stuff, but very little that actually improves player experience directly and quite a lot that makes it worse. Given that this is a product we've already paid for it's not unreasonable to expect it to at least match 1.69 in functionality.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:58 pm

I believe the point I was scarcastically making was that while they certainly have a lot of work to do, showering them in negativity is an easy way to cause a company to abandon a project rather than invest in further.

NWN EE has been released, it's been sold, it's been done. The next money making plan is DLC, if they don't think the community is going to buy it, they won't make it. Plenty of companies have released bug filled messes, been showered in negative reaction and just taken the money and walked.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:20 pm

Rwby wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:58 pm
I believe the point I was scarcastically making was that while they certainly have a lot of work to do, showering them in negativity is an easy way to cause a company to abandon a project rather than invest in further.

NWN EE has been released, it's been sold, it's been done. The next money making plan is DLC, if they don't think the community is going to buy it, they won't make it. Plenty of companies have released bug filled messes, been showered in negative reaction and just taken the money and walked.
If you go buy a new set of tires for your car, and the shop puts four tires that are balder, more worn, and in worse condition than the four you were getting replaced, would you complain?

If you went to get a meal, and were given something other than what you asked for, would you complain?

Acting like customers aren't entitled to not receive a worse product after paying for an upgrade is just bizarre, as is acting like we have to pay beamdog more to receive an adequate product or should want to pay for more of their products without them fixing the first product.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.