DC for lock strength

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

WinkinBlinkin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

DC for lock strength

Post by WinkinBlinkin » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:51 pm

Does anyone know what lock strength actually protects you from being broken into? I used to think 70 was safe, but I understand that some people have grandfathered dragon race characters and I have heard someone commenting on Discord that these can, and are, breaking into people's apartments.

PinataPlethora

Re: DC for lock strength

Post by PinataPlethora » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:03 pm

Go for 80, then. Lock strength is cheap. Traps are the gold sink.

WinkinBlinkin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by WinkinBlinkin » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:05 pm

Is 80 safe? The person on Discord was saying they could reach 94, which would make 114 on a 20 roll, but I've also heard from reliable sources that no-one can beat 90. Knowing would be good, though. And a lot of people have locks at 70, so, if this can be beaten, I think everyone should be aware.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:47 pm

Go for 120.

Also realize that, much like in the real world, you are not special and nobody wants the majority of the garbage that you treasure. The location of your quarter will have a significant influence on whether anyone is likely to try to rob you. High volume, enclosed city areas allow for a quick check of multiple quarters away from prying eyes. Lesser known quarters take more effort to find and reach, so they might not be worth the effort. Those facing crowded public spaces are more difficult to access without being seen.

Your average epic level Dragon is not going to be scumming around Cordor, ripping off iron ore from lowbies. It's not worth the effort. Most likely, if someone's making a STR based attempt to access your quarter, it's because you did something to attract attention. So, if you become high profile and worry for your security, it's worth the money to have crazy DCs on your door. If you're just some average nobody, 127 Lock (or whatever the current maximum Open Lock is) and 60 Strength is fine.

WinkinBlinkin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by WinkinBlinkin » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:33 pm

Maybe this dragon, if it even exists, is played by a really cool rper who only ever breaks in to add to the plot of the server. Maybe its played by a total jerk who just breaks into every place they can, for kicks and giggles. Who knows?

Either way, if you have your lock strength set to 70, it is probably a good idea to up it by a considerable margin if you have anything worth protecting.

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:39 pm

PinataPlethora wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:47 pm
Go for 120.

Also realize that, much like in the real world, you are not special and nobody wants the majority of the garbage that you treasure. The location of your quarter will have a significant influence on whether anyone is likely to try to rob you. High volume, enclosed city areas allow for a quick check of multiple quarters away from prying eyes. Lesser known quarters take more effort to find and reach, so they might not be worth the effort. Those facing crowded public spaces are more difficult to access without being seen.

Your average epic level Dragon is not going to be scumming around Cordor, ripping off iron ore from lowbies. It's not worth the effort. Most likely, if someone's making a STR based attempt to access your quarter, it's because you did something to attract attention. So, if you become high profile and worry for your security, it's worth the money to have crazy DCs on your door. If you're just some average nobody, 127 Lock (or whatever the current maximum Open Lock is) and 60 Strength is fine.
Im just gonna go ahead and disagree with this entire post....my epic rogue didnt give a damn who you were and what you had....he mostly wanted to see...if he found anything he liked....be it a painting or otherwise..he took it...Yes DC 127 locks are max..even if you can pay for higher then that and they don't carry over a reset....would personally LOVE to see the max lowered....but thats me.

Thieves CAN be fun to RP around....I always left a calling card for my thefts, be it in the middle of Cordor, or right in Bendir or the cricket caves. Not everyone does...sadly....but it can promote a LOT of RP if the person is willing.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:50 pm

ellipsis

Dragon PCs use druid wildshape scaling, they cannot hit these DCs any better than a wildshape druid. You're thinking red dragon shape which has a base STR of 56.
:)

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:05 pm

Gods_Kill_People wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:39 pm
Im just gonna go ahead and disagree with this entire post....my epic rogue
Your Epic Rogue was using STR to bash doors open?

WinkinBlinkin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by WinkinBlinkin » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:28 pm

I am honestly not thinking anything at all, just passing on what I heard. The character in question was supposedly a no longer available dragon race dragon shifter. I have no clue how the mechanics of even normal druids work, its not a class I have ever played. I'd love to know some exact figures on just how high theoretically strength builds can get, including these no longer available ones.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:29 pm

And that is just it, 56 is the highest possible.

WinkinBlinkin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by WinkinBlinkin » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:31 pm

Would a base strength of 56 be able to get to 68 with gear, and then 88 with a d20?

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:30 pm

Gear doesn't stack on shapeshifting, IIRC second skin is +3 or +4 STR, you'd need epic transmutation and empowered bulls with a good roll to near the cap. And then yes, you could hit around high 80s.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:19 am

Druid does Second Skin + Epic Tranmute Bulls + Aura Vit and caps their STR pretty easy, but yeah, it's hyper edge case IMO.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:09 am

Watch out for werewolf burglars XD

R0GUE
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by R0GUE » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:51 pm

I will give all the thieves out there a recommendation if they promise not to rob me. :D

Find a master bard to bring along. They can raise your open lock skill to as high as +19.