Sencliff (Pirate Start)
1%

Total votes: 150

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Prefered Starting Location on Arelith

Post by Irongron » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:20 am

Quite enjoyed the last poll, so here is another.

I'm interested to know just what starting location our players prefer? There's certainly more choice than there was.

Choose an option, and if you can let us know why below.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Prefered Starting Location on Arelith

Post by MissEvelyn » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:21 am

I'm always going to go with Cordor for the quality roleplay it offers.
However, that said, it really depends on the character I'm playing and what makes sense for them.

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:28 am

I'm personally torn.

But for my vote I'm going with Brogendenstein. It's compact, and very quick to get started with the action.

It also has the nice feature of being connecting via portal to the Earthkin Village.

Though perhaps most importantly; there is generally more 'common cause' among those playing there. Roleplay comes easily, and getting into your first party (if there are other starter PCs present) doesn't feel as forced as it sometimes can elsewhere.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:32 am

I prefer any choice where I don't have to do the same delivery quests I've done fifteen million times. (Does the Andunor one still not give enough XP for level 3? Been a while since I made an underdarker.) So Brog is my favourite, especially with the easy access to less-adventured low level areas, you don't have to wrestle with half a dozen groups for the crypts under brog or the xvart caves.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:40 am

Skal is pretty dope.

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:44 am

Not exactly answering the poll, but...

Sencliff needs a lot work to actually be a starting location (or a 20 RPR so new players don't get trapped there.)

I don't see why delivery quests are still needed at all. The writ system gets you going and meeting people. I think they should be dropped from Cordor and Anundor entirely.

Brog is my favorite if you are familiar with the server (and, of course, want to play an earthkin.) I like that the different races are dropped in different places. Maybe there could be more of that in other areas depending on class and race... Like drop wizards at the magic shop, clerics at the temple in Cordor. But most of all I think the time for the delivery quests has passed, it's almost a walk of shame now.

FoxyPigeon

Post by FoxyPigeon » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:58 am

I think Cordor is the most friendly place to start in, especially for new players. It's also the easiest place to find and meet people, though I like Brog for the reasons Irongron pointed out, way faster to just jump right in and get going.

I kinda wish you could just bypass the speedy quest in Cordor/UD if you're not a new player, lol.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:02 am

I have to say Cordor, for the opportunity it provides, and the ease of finding parties and getting started.

Skal is really growing on me, but it hasn't had as much time as Surface to mature, smooth rough edges, and find its identity. It's a beautiful place for someone who enjoys vast open areas and a more survival-ish motif. I could see myself starting a lot more characters there, with a few tweaks.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:43 am

I picked Cordor because I'm a dirty traditionalist, but Skal and Andunor run real close seconds.

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:21 am

I like Cordor, but I find Brog is better if you don't wanna sit and pretend to be a complete newbie and wanna bypass the "Speedy Messenger" quest.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:43 am

I picked Cordor but Andunor is pretty great too (unless you want to sneak attack things).
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:20 am

Tourmaline wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:44 am
Not exactly answering the poll, but...

Sencliff needs a lot work to actually be a starting location (or a 20 RPR so new players don't get trapped there.)

I don't see why delivery quests are still needed at all. The writ system gets you going and meeting people. I think they should be dropped from Cordor and Anundor entirely.

Brog is my favorite if you are familiar with the server (and, of course, want to play an earthkin.) I like that the different races are dropped in different places. Maybe there could be more of that in other areas depending on class and race... Like drop wizards at the magic shop, clerics at the temple in Cordor. But most of all I think the time for the delivery quests has passed, it's almost a walk of shame now.
The writs are good for getting you to meet characters, the deliveries are good for getting you to learn the layout of the town. I like that they're a thing, because they're optional.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:06 am

Durvayas wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:20 am

The writs are good for getting you to meet characters, the deliveries are good for getting you to learn the layout of the town. I like that they're a thing, because they're optional.
They're really not, though -- Not unless you want to start at level 2 for some reason rather than level 3. It's not a huge difference in the grand scheme of things, but it does make low level adventuring a lot more dicey and less fun when you can be oneshot so easily.

I tend to start in Cordor or Andunor (Depending on what I'm playing), but Sencliff's some good competition since you don't have to deal with a starter quest. I'd love if Cordor/Andunor got the options to avoid it as well with a 20 RPR, or w/e. Never been much of a one for halfling RP, and never had the drive to make a dwarf, so not familiar with the Brog start.

Be cool if the Andunor starter quest put you at 3 like the Cordor one too, rather than short for whatever reason, but that's kind of minor.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:15 am

Durvayas wrote:
Yeah but you only need to learn the layout once. My 10th or 20th Anundor character ought to be able to skip it.

Maybe if everyone just started at level 3, but the deliveries quest was brought into the writ system? Make the deliveries an easy level 3 quest for 500 xp and 500 gold or something?

Poolbrain
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Poolbrain » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:09 am

Sencliff needs way more work to be a starting location as the first thing starters in sencliff needs to do is head to Cordor, which isnt even communicated (or makes sense, might just start in Cordor and head to Sencliff when you are ready). There's been a lot of confused lowbies running around there before getting nudged in the right direction.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:21 am

I wish Myon was here as well.

Maybe in the future.

Lunia

Post by Lunia » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:41 am

My votes for skall and I truly wish more would give it a go.

Honestly blew me away the community there. Was awesome ended up feeling like a family with alot of the people there so much I stayed until LVL 17. Way later then I should have just so I could move to the main land with all the friends I made there.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:45 am

Gonna go with Cordor, but Andunor is really good too.

And after seeing the new brog I want to start a char there...

Emotionaloverload
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:24 am

I picked Cordor but I do like that some characters can pick to start in Brog. My only issue with starting with Cordor is that you can't opt out of the speedy quest. Maybe 20rpr players can get a starting menu that allows them to pick no speedy. Like that new players won't accidentally shoot themselves in the foot.

Thank you!
-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

Rigela

Post by Rigela » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:53 am

Andunor is it for me, due to the centralised hub area that Cordor at least lacks. It has everything in one point - selling, going off to do writs and meeting others. It makes it very easy to find others and do whatever it happens to be you want to do.
Isabella Isherwood - Priestess of Selune
Piper Barley - Joybringer of Lliira

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:23 pm

I think that getting rid of the speedy quest for the regulars would be a good idea, which is why I'm most comfortable with Brog although I don't play dwarves

Senshi

Post by Senshi » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:54 pm

I prefer Skal as i would say im about average at Rp and i am worried if i go to another town before im comfortable ill be overwhelmed.
Current Characters: Velem'vor

I do YT stuff.. IndieSenshi

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:04 pm

Tourmaline wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:15 am
Durvayas wrote:
Yeah but you only need to learn the layout once. My 10th or 20th Anundor character ought to be able to skip it.

Maybe if everyone just started at level 3, but the deliveries quest was brought into the writ system? Make the deliveries an easy level 3 quest for 500 xp and 500 gold or something?
Now here's a man with a good idea.

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:20 pm

I really liked Skal when I started a new char there "just for testing what it was".

Not really quite sure why. I think it was the "sandbox" atmosphere, maybe the feeling that you had to fight to get out again. The maps are great and well thought out. It's also a place I like to return to.

It was a bit chaotic when it started, but the beginner's problem are over.

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:37 am

I love that we have the choices now. Though I think it would be cool if there was like a "Native" backround or gift that would let you start at the location at lvl 3 and not have to do the speedy quest ;p

But I'm sure you all know what I voted for ;p

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire