Is trying to get to level 26 worth it?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Void

Is trying to get to level 26 worth it?

Post by Void » Sun May 06, 2018 3:15 am

Long story short I have an epic level character that "has run out of juice", but is below level 26. Also, it is one of the deprecated paths that can't be selected anymore.

There were stories, fun, etc, but now it is sorta stuck in the void with nothing going on.

The thing is.. I usually love playing tieflings. Normal tieflings, with human origins, and not a demon-touched half-orcs/elves/halflings/dwarves/whatever.

And on arelith those are behind epic roll wall. So, I'm wondering whether it would be worth it trying to get a character to get there (it doesn't seem like it is gonna be fun) and probably fail the roll. Or just drop the character so it won't occupy the roster. I'll probably qualify for some reward, but aside from tieflings, I don't see any interesting awards on arelith wiki.

Thoughts?
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Miskol
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Is trying to get to level 26 worth it?

Post by Miskol » Sun May 06, 2018 3:31 am

It's entirely up to you if you want to commit the time and effort for it, if the character is already in the 20s, I would say go for it. I can say from experience that with a proper party and time commitment, it actually doesn't take very long to reach level 26. The issue is more a matter of playing a character that lacks RP, it can get boring extremely quickly.

Void

Post by Void » Sun May 06, 2018 3:37 am

Miskol wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:31 am
It's entirely up to you if you want to commit the time and effort for it, if the character is already in the 20s, I would say go for it. I can say from experience that with a proper party and time commitment, it actually doesn't take very long to reach level 26. The issue is more a matter of playing a character that lacks RP, it can get boring extremely quickly.
Hmm.... alright.

To be honest, the character does have personality and goal, it is just this char is out of loop from everything currently.

This makes some things more difficult.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Sun May 06, 2018 3:56 am

If you have more than a million gp in the bank, use the extra to hire mercs and buy powerful consumables. You'll hit 26 in no time.

TheShadowdove

Post by TheShadowdove » Sun May 06, 2018 5:23 am

Holy smokes, is leveling in the late 20's that hard?!?

There are multiple characters I was hoping to see to 30.

Void

Post by Void » Sun May 06, 2018 5:27 am

TheShadowdove wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 5:23 am

There are no writs past level 20, and I hate circle grinding. The amount of xp per level is fairly high as well. The character has mechanical weakness and require party most of the time.

However, I think I figured out how to salvage the character and gave the RP new direction. So far it looks like it will be fun after all.

So I think I'll try to make it to 26 after all.

Thanks for the responses. ^_^

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Sun May 06, 2018 5:50 am

if you are playing your character just to level and roll him, you are going to hate life.
There are three strong options for him:
1) Shelf him, leave him in the shelf and do something else you want to do. Maybe one day you'll feel like "you know, I kinda wanted to play that guy again", and come back with renewed purpose and stories. Or plainly decide that his time has come and roll him as-is.
2) Roll him. Even with a 1 million gold pieces in your possession, it's a 10% to get a major, and you should assume that you are not likely to get it. When it comes to a random chance, expect things to go against your favor, or you'll be disappointed.
3) Step back a little, and consider what is not working with your character. Break something, tinker with it, put it back together, try a new and different approach. Maybe you'll enjoy your time with him and you may even end up playing longer than you expected, even once you hit 30, or maybe you'll just play him enough until you can write a definitive end for him, either at 26 or before.

Either way, forcing yourself to play a character is generally a bad idea. In my opinion, you put less effort into your RP, which damages the general atmosphere of the game.

Also, it's not THAT hard to get to 30, but it does take a lot of time and the best way to get there is slowly by dungeon crawling interesting dungeons that you haven't seen before, attempting new challenges, or having achieved a xp pool so large in your legendary levels that you can just RP all your way up, though that takes like 200k of adventure xp.

EDIT: Durr, I just read the last post. Call me Slowking.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sun May 06, 2018 6:21 am

TheShadowdove wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 5:23 am

It's not difficult, it just takes a little while.

Void

Post by Void » Sun May 06, 2018 6:40 am

Iceborn wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 5:50 am
EDIT: Durr, I just read the last post. Call me Slowking.
Well, the thing I thought would work out might not work out after all. Anyway, I'll think of something.

Your points are good, but the char wasn't created to "hit level 26", in all honesty. It just fell into disuse or something.

Leshpar

Post by Leshpar » Sun May 06, 2018 7:17 am

The whole point of rp realms like this is to get immersed in the world and your character. If you can't do that its time to roll him no matter the level.

Rebel4ever

Post by Rebel4ever » Sun May 06, 2018 9:12 am

Depends if you like your character...i admit i get bored so have multiple alts...i play my main for a while and if i get bored i rest and play something else.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon May 07, 2018 9:55 am

I agree with Iceborn on this, over all I'd say take a step back, let it linger in your vault and play something else for a bit. You can always go back to him later.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)