Hin Handfast vs. Marriage

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

PlunderBunny
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Hin Handfast vs. Marriage

Post by PlunderBunny » Sun May 06, 2018 1:44 am

First off, sorry if lore questions aren't appropriate to this forum, move it to wherever if necessary.

Anyway, my question... I've seen it said on multiple occasions that halflings tend to practice handfasting rather than marriage (or at least it's about as common a practice as marriage is). I'm not trying to argue with that or anything, I'm just curious as to what the source is! I've never seen that, but I'm not hugely well-read on my D&D lore or anything, so I'm not sure if that's in some sourcebook somewhere, or if it's a bit of Arelith lore that's become widely accepted.

Thanks in advance! :D

PinataPlethora

Re: Hin Handfast vs. Marriage

Post by PinataPlethora » Sun May 06, 2018 1:47 am

There's a book in the module called something like Hin & Marriage by Sasha Silverscales. Shouldn't be too hard to find around Bendir. That might help you find some answers.

Rockstar1984

Post by Rockstar1984 » Sun May 06, 2018 2:04 am

I don't know what FR related material says that Hin practice handfastings, however I do know a fair deal about handfastings irl. It is an rl tradition that originated in Scotland and what the "Hin & Marriage" book describes ig is pretty much precisely what handfastings are like irl. I think it's less of an official FR thing and more a dev or player of the server adding something in to Hin culture to spice it up a bit.

Oh the year was 1778...

Emotionaloverload
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sun May 06, 2018 2:31 am

Sasha's book IG is the best but if you are looking for some OoC reading I recommend http://amiawiki.shatuga.com/index.php?t ... _Folk#Love or the Complete book of Gnomes and Halflings.

Enjoy!
-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.