Food for Thought - Those Little RP Touches.

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Tathkar Eisgrim

Food for Thought - Those Little RP Touches.

Post by Tathkar Eisgrim » Tue May 01, 2018 3:12 pm

Several times over the last few days I have realised I am missing opportunities to roleplay and emote roleplay to the best of my abilities. Small things, opportunistic things, that I should be doing often or occasionally which really show you are putting effort and forethought into time on the server. I found I was asking little questions of myself :-

- When was the last time you roleplayed the weather?
- When was the last time you roleplayed being hot / cold / under said weather?
- When was the last time you roleplayed beig ill / sick / diseased?
- When was the last time you roleplayed responding to the stink of sewers / farmland?
- When was the last time you roleplayed being surprised?
- When was the last time you roleplayed being scared?
- When was the last time you roleplayed being livid / angry?
- When was the last time you roleplayed being spontaneous?
- When was the last time you roleplayed boredom and tedium?
- When was the last time you responded to a critical hit?
- When was the last time you responded to an IC game merchanic message?

I must admit, I realised, I had fallen into a mindset of roleplaying my character in a mindset and not portraying or exploring other moods - nor reacting to the gameworld in as an imaginative way as I could be. I guess this happens when you are a person sat a computer using your sense of sight to look at a monitor.

There are IC events related to this in game of course (full disclaimer) which some of you might be able to realise -- but even so, I think it needs stating - it is easy to forget these small things. Food for thought.

Any other little RP touches, that you can recommend, which can help bring characters alive. i.e maybe pose them as a question as above?

SockYeti
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Food for Thought - Those Little RP Touches.

Post by SockYeti » Tue May 01, 2018 3:16 pm

I agree! Its little things like this that really bring the RP to life! Just to other day I was in the desert with a couple people and one of them put of their hood and mask to deal with the wind and sand, she then mentioned to us that we should do the same and I remember thinking what a wonderful little touch that was.

Great post!
Talg Two Fingers - A mighty Trog fighting for his brothers.

Retired:
Poe Pimmin - the bard looking for his song
Brugga Stonehelm - the not so priestly priest of Moradin

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Tue May 01, 2018 8:40 pm

I was told a story recently about one of the regulars’ kids who made a character and spent her time doing laundry in the river. Not sure why but that story stuck with me because it’s an aspect of everyday life that I think a lot of us forget about, let alone create time to integrate those things into our roleplay.

PlunderBunny
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by PlunderBunny » Tue May 01, 2018 9:18 pm

Maladus wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:40 pm
I was told a story recently about one of the regulars’ kids who made a character and spent her time doing laundry in the river. Not sure why but that story stuck with me because it’s an aspect of everyday life that I think a lot of us forget about, let alone create time to integrate those things into our roleplay.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes that kind of stuff, I -love- the RP of little boring, tedious mundanities like that.

Tathkar Eisgrim

Post by Tathkar Eisgrim » Tue May 01, 2018 9:18 pm

Maladus wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:40 pm
I like this one. Doing something mundane and everyday and humble is a great way to ground a character. Peasant behaviours.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Tue May 01, 2018 9:30 pm

well personally i prefer to be out doing cool adventures
:)

PlunderBunny
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by PlunderBunny » Tue May 01, 2018 9:38 pm

Cortex wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 9:30 pm
well personally i prefer to be out doing cool adventures
Blasphemy. Who goes to a fantasy universe to do something -entertaining-?

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Wed May 02, 2018 1:20 am

Personally, I like to see my characters in different environments. They may be high heroes (or not), and last week maybe they were cackling maniacally on top of a pile of corpses with a sword in each hand and the sky ripped off spewing fire - but I also like to see them dealing with the trivialities of what it means to be alive; the maintenance of cleaning their equipment, tending to previous wounds and decide which ones are going to scar or not, maybe just as much as having an armor that gets stuck from time to time and needs a hand to be removed offers certain possibilities of realism that are pleasant for me to play.
I like to see them finding situations that are unfavorable for them, finding them forced to interact with people that they don't like, or just having moods which they don't control - things that annoy them, that cause them sorrow, or inappropriate joy.

I rarely do drunk RP, but I'm a big fan of seeing characters break down through alcohol intoxication in all sorts of ways.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Stath

Post by Stath » Wed May 02, 2018 7:32 am

Tathkar Eisgrim wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:12 pm
- When was the last time you responded to a critical hit?
Every time an elven female is in the vicinity
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

Rebel4ever

Post by Rebel4ever » Wed May 02, 2018 10:32 am

I always forget hot thinking of that as good weather unless its extreme like the desert, hot in plate armour would be very uncomfortable i believe...like being in an oven.

Emotionaloverload
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Emotionaloverload » Wed May 02, 2018 3:42 pm

I use all of them regularly except for spontaneous (I've had only two spontaneous characters in my time; Bella and a Hlarr) and rping a critical (the high majority of crits take my characters to the Fugue so the critical itself is usually forgotten by this point. Although I have a favourite for crit rp and it is the monk, hin Perry of Bendir, way back when, so this has put it on my mind as something to consider next time. Thank you!)

For further thought:

-When was the last time you rp'd a god save? (I love this one. Its a great mechanic.)
-When was the last time you rp'd praying?
-When was the last time you rp'd a grudge? (NPC or PC)
-When was the last time you rp'd dislike? (Just run of the mill dislike)

Back to work! *Flees*
-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Wed May 02, 2018 4:05 pm

Tathkar Eisgrim wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:12 pm
- When was the last time you roleplayed the weather?
this one time my character made a snowman and told everyone about it
20 RPR GANG