State of the Harpers

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

hikoisnumber1

State of the Harpers

Post by hikoisnumber1 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:35 pm

Simple question, I'm wondering if anyone can let me know if the Harpers are an active faction. I'm not asking the whats or the hows, simply if there are active Harpers. I'm considering rolling one up, but the last time I did it was a dead faction.
How adorable, an alt account.

Dracorid3r

Re: State of the Harpers

Post by Dracorid3r » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:42 pm

I think that's the whole point of harpers lol...

You don't know if there are any even around.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:48 pm

^

hikoisnumber1

Post by hikoisnumber1 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:50 pm

Okay, yeah, I get that. Its that I don't want to go through the trouble of investing time in a character only to find out it's a dead faction, again.
How adorable, an alt account.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:50 pm

Do it. The faction will be yours, if it isn't active. But it probably is.

Drop hints. If they're around, they'll find you. Might take a while, so be patient.
hikoisnumber1 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:50 pm
Okay, yeah, I get that. Its that I don't want to go through the trouble of investing time in a character only to find out it's a dead faction, again.
If your ability to enjoy the character is dependent on whether there's an active faction, however, I would advise not playing it. Harpers can be very versatile, and non-Harper characters can still help Harpers. Do what you enjoy. If you don't find them, or they don't find you, you'll still find a niche.

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:12 pm

Playing a Harper is at least somewhat contingent on your ability and willingness to exist in a state of quasi vacuum for long periods of time. That's just the nature of the organization. They coordinate on aims, share information, and on the big stuff often cooperate with each other, but a lot of harpers don't overtly associate with one another.

In practice in game, there won't always be an active problem that falls within the purview of a concentrated Harper effort, so a lot of your time is going to be spent involved with some other faction or settlement with a minimal contact with the Harper cell, just quietly keeping tabs on things. In fact, you'll probably experience long stretches where even if there are other harpers active on the server, you have zero day to day harper activity beyond passively monitoring what's going on. So yes, your character ought to be able to function as a standalone non-harper first.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:51 pm

Scurvy Cur wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:12 pm
Playing a Harper is at least somewhat contingent on your ability and willingness to exist in a state of quasi vacuum for long periods of time. That's just the nature of the organization. They coordinate on aims, share information, and on the big stuff often cooperate with each other, but a lot of harpers don't overtly associate with one another.

In practice in game, there won't always be an active problem that falls within the purview of a concentrated Harper effort, so a lot of your time is going to be spent involved with some other faction or settlement with a minimal contact with the Harper cell, just quietly keeping tabs on things. In fact, you'll probably experience long stretches where even if there are other harpers active on the server, you have zero day to day harper activity beyond passively monitoring what's going on. So yes, your character ought to be able to function as a standalone non-harper first.
Bingo. Code of the Harpers describes this exactly.