Reusing the same last name "Generations"

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Brenzilla

Reusing the same last name "Generations"

Post by Brenzilla » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:08 pm

Ive come to love my IC last name "Ironhart" I was curious if I could reuse it for my next char and consider him a son/grandson. Is that allowed? I know it'll take a lot of RPing but Im just curious if thats allowed

Gods_Kill_People

Re: Reusing the same last name "Generations"

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:09 pm

Honestly people do it all the time, can be a brother, sister, niece, nephew...anything.

Rebel4ever

Post by Rebel4ever » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:10 pm

It should be fine...i mean last name just means they are from the same family...which can be pretty big.

Brenzilla

Post by Brenzilla » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:10 pm

Gods_Kill_People wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:09 pm
Honestly people do it all the time, can be a brother, sister, niece, nephew...anything.
Ok! Sweet, thank you!

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:19 pm

No problem, enjoy!

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:46 pm

Do not, however, use that as an excuse to magically pass all the knowledge of your previous character to the new one. In the most mechanical and dry sense, if two characters never met in Arelith, then they never officially interacted.
:)

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:24 pm

You're fine to roleplay a decendant of another of your characters, all be it upon certain conditrions.

1) As Cortex said, no knowledge, items, or other perks are to be swapped between characters. You cannot use your 'father' to bankroll your 'son' character. Nor is your 'son' allowed to know details from your father. A few very vauge bits of info might be fine, but really keep it to the absolute minimum amount, and nothing that gives your character an unfair advantage.

2) Your characters must all be adults. No children.

3) Be VERY careful about playing your two characters consecutavily, and do not have them interact with each other if possible. E.g. - Pappy Ironheart might send his Baby Ironheart to arelith, with a fairwell and a hug. Fine. But Baby Ironheart, upon being beaten up by some meany Drow, is not allowed to run to Pappy Ironheart (who is level 30) and ask him to defeat the Drow for him. Nor is Baby Ironheart (who is say, a Paladin) allowed to tell Pappy Ironheart about that interesting super secret meeting he was part of. Keep their goings on as seperate as you can, basically.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Brenzilla

Post by Brenzilla » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:13 pm

DM GrumpyCat wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:24 pm
You're fine to roleplay a decendant of another of your characters, all be it upon certain conditrions.

1) As Cortex said, no knowledge, items, or other perks are to be swapped between characters. You cannot use your 'father' to bankroll your 'son' character. Nor is your 'son' allowed to know details from your father. A few very vauge bits of info might be fine, but really keep it to the absolute minimum amount, and nothing that gives your character an unfair advantage.

2) Your characters must all be adults. No children.

3) Be VERY careful about playing your two characters consecutavily, and do not have them interact with each other if possible. E.g. - Pappy Ironheart might send his Baby Ironheart to arelith, with a fairwell and a hug. Fine. But Baby Ironheart, upon being beaten up by some meany Drow, is not allowed to run to Pappy Ironheart (who is level 30) and ask him to defeat the Drow for him. Nor is Baby Ironheart (who is say, a Paladin) allowed to tell Pappy Ironheart about that interesting super secret meeting he was part of. Keep their goings on as seperate as you can, basically.
I totally agree. But what about the "Roll for reward" bonus? That's the only thing that makes sense for Papa Ironhart to hand down. I don't care for meta gaming and the such. Kinda ruins the game