Bane Hopeful

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

ThruSeer

Bane Hopeful

Post by ThruSeer » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:32 pm

Not long ago I created a character with the idea that they would be a Banite (http://arelith.wikia.com/wiki/Bane) .

I played a very similar character before when NWN first came out, and the character was a disciple of Hextor (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Hextor)

I looked and looked to find a diety that I thought would most closely resemble the type of RP I was interested in, and I found Bane.

They seem very similar, and I wonder exactly how the two are related in Dungeons and Dragons lore. Are they in the same world, are they related at all? Their beliefs closely match eachother... Tyranny etc.

When I used to roleplay as a disciple of Hextor, the diety of Hextor was firmly implanted in society as an alternate view on how government should be ruled. He was decidedly evil, but there were more avenues for your character to go out and about and proclaim for his God, and be open about his doctrine.

The issue I have with Bane on Arelith, is that he is so ostracized and beaten down to the point that you can't go around professing interest, or learning more about Bane in big cities, notably Cordor, the starting city. There isn't even an altar to Bane in the Red Temple. You can be executed, and kicked out of the major city for uttering his name or sympathizing with him. Cordor seems firmly in the grasp of the Good, and everywhere I look on Arelith it seems that Good is the way to go. There is no great overarching conflict on the surface between others on the surface.

The balance between GOOD and EVIL, seems terribly out of whack.

To add to this, the Church of Bane, which is a bit of a struggle for a low level character to get to on a pilgrimage, is inaccessible with a broken door bug. You can't get into the Church to learn more about the temple or to even have a home for your lonely Banite newbie to escape prosecution. I recognize that the door is bugged, and once some time ago people were able to enter the Church of Bane, but it has come to a point where it has begun to stifle my RP just a little bit.

It is difficult to speak to others in character about your worship of Bane when you can be struck down at any moment for your beliefs, or ostracized to the point where you are denied access to the major hub of the game, Cordor.

Nobody walks around with Fists emblazoned on their armor, nobody speaks of Bane.

Is Bane an Underdark diety? If I wanted to make a Bane worshipper, should I have made him in the Underdark? Should my Banite come into the world with the outcast background already?

Is it intended for Bane to be so ostracized and downtrodden?

What is the history of Bane on Arelith? I fumble blindly without others to explain IC why and how Bane has come to be such a broken and shameful diety, a shadow of what his proud self should really be!

Are these ramblings the same problems that every character in Arelith has to deal with?

Are these ramblings just the whining of an evil character who needs to suck it up and figure it out?

Sab1

Re: Bane Hopeful

Post by Sab1 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:54 pm

You can openly be a bane person in Cordor, you just can't preach there. Even the Triad lacks official altars in the city so it's not just Bane.

I think at the moment there just aren't that Bane folks many about but from the sounds of it's building in Skal. It was pretty active but experienced some defections to Cyric.

Bane has a long history with Cordor, some good and a lot bad. Recently there was even an altar to Bane allowed in the city but was ordered removed after an incident that resulted in a few cordorian deaths. So it's always evolving, but being a rp server you the current Bane player experience the effects caused by past Bane players (not saying bad rp). But if say Bane worshippers in past tried to seize Cordor, the lingering effects from that is going to be felt today by people ig.

I wouldn't say the balance between good and evil is out of whack, It's just the current evil power groups on the server right now aren't for Bane. At the moment it's Cyric, but since this is a rp server in a month it could be something else. At the moment Bane just lacks the players, in a few weeks there might be a dozen, few months later might be just a couple. It's always changing.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:38 am

What sab1 says about Bane is correct, but there is an annoying amount of "OOC good" and "keeping the status quo" across the server that is very anti-conflict/evil in their comfort zone.
:)

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:52 am

ThruSeer wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:32 pm
Not long ago I created a character with the idea that they would be a Banite (http://arelith.wikia.com/wiki/Bane) .

I played a very similar character before when NWN first came out, and the character was a disciple of Hextor (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Hextor)

I looked and looked to find a diety that I thought would most closely resemble the type of RP I was interested in, and I found Bane.

They seem very similar, and I wonder exactly how the two are related in Dungeons and Dragons lore. Are they in the same world, are they related at all? Their beliefs closely match eachother... Tyranny etc.

When I used to roleplay as a disciple of Hextor, the diety of Hextor was firmly implanted in society as an alternate view on how government should be ruled. He was decidedly evil, but there were more avenues for your character to go out and about and proclaim for his God, and be open about his doctrine.

The issue I have with Bane on Arelith, is that he is so ostracized and beaten down to the point that you can't go around professing interest, or learning more about Bane in big cities, notably Cordor, the starting city. There isn't even an altar to Bane in the Red Temple. You can be executed, and kicked out of the major city for uttering his name or sympathizing with him. Cordor seems firmly in the grasp of the Good, and everywhere I look on Arelith it seems that Good is the way to go. There is no great overarching conflict on the surface between others on the surface.

To add to this, the Church of Bane, which is a bit of a struggle for a low level character to get to on a pilgrimage, is inaccessible with a broken door bug. You can't get into the Church to learn more about the temple or to even have a home for your lonely Banite newbie to escape prosecution. I recognize that the door is bugged, and once some time ago people were able to enter the Church of Bane, but it has come to a point where it has begun to stifle my RP just a little bit.

It is difficult to speak to others in character about your worship of Bane when you can be struck down at any moment for your beliefs, or ostracized to the point where you are denied access to the major hub of the game, Cordor.

Nobody walks around with Fists emblazoned on their armor, nobody speaks of Bane.

Is Bane an Underdark diety? If I wanted to make a Bane worshipper, should I have made him in the Underdark? Should my Banite come into the world with the outcast background already?

Is it intended for Bane to be so ostracized and downtrodden?

What is the history of Bane on Arelith? I fumble blindly without others to explain IC why and how Bane has come to be such a broken and shameful diety, a shadow of what his proud self should really be!

Are these ramblings the same problems that every character in Arelith has to deal with?

Are these ramblings just the whining of an evil character who needs to suck it up and figure it out?
Hextor is from the Greyhawk setting, Bane and Cyric of course are from the Realms
Yes I can sign

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:05 pm

Cortex wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:38 am
What sab1 says about Bane is correct, but there is an annoying amount of "OOC good" and "keeping the status quo" across the server that is very anti-conflict/evil in their comfort zone.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Rebel4ever

Post by Rebel4ever » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:38 pm

Its because all other evil human character are living in the underdark for some reason. Which makes no sense lorewise but its something about they wanted a metropolitan underdark to compete with the surface...which slaughters drow roleplay almost completely. So from what i can see the underdark is where everyone who evil is supposed to be. Which makes no sense at all, but the Church of Bane could exist in the underdark no probelms because if it works for Cyric why not Bane?.

They should have an evil surface city. Like Zhentil keep or Westgate or somewhere along those lines, that makes much more sense than the underdark..

Well as much as Cyric is.
You should never tell anyone in a good city untill your sure where you stand. I have a cleric of Loviatar and she managed to persaude people Loviatar is not evil at all.
This is because they just moved them all to the underdark. So now the real underdark races are pretty much sidelined. When you hear underdark do you think, humans and kobolds? probably not. I would think Drow, Duergar and Deep gnomes would be what came to mind...
Last edited by Rebel4ever on Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Void

Post by Void » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:40 pm

There are active surfacer banites. You have to find them yourself in the game, however.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

ThruSeer

Post by ThruSeer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:23 pm

Codex, what do you mean by this? Do you mean that evil characters on the surface aren't RPing their characters properly, and are fitting into the GOOD world around them?
Its because all other evil human character are living in the underdark for some reason.
Rebel4ever, It is very odd to me. After searching vainly for meaning on the surface with my Bane character, I made a character for the Underdark to learn more about what goes on down there. I created a classic Underdark race character, and got a feel for how things were going in the EVIL world. It is definitely not all sugar and rainbows, as it does seem as if the Drow have been pushed out of their traditional power role in favor of many many human players. I always thought traditionally that the Underdark was a place for monster races, and that humans didn't seek out the underdark to live when they had the opportunity to live above ground.
They should have an evil surface city. Like Zhentil keep or Westgate or somewhere along those lines, that makes much more sense than the underdark..
Perhaps we could minimize the "humans in the underdark" if there was a real city on the surface that didn't have problems with alternate views on Good ie Evil. If the Church of Bane functioned, this could be a place like that. The faction/settlement system could be used for an evil settlement, and we could RP and trade our way into a settlement outside the church that could become a haven for "Evil" characters. We have Sencliff, but really that place is for Pirates, which is another division of "evil", not the traditional evil that provides RP and impetus for all of the other GOOD characters on the server, of which there are very many.
This is because they just moved them all to the underdark. So now the real underdark races are pretty much sidelined. When you hear underdark do you think, humans and kobolds? probably not. I would think Drow, Duergar and Deep gnomes would be what came to mind...
Yes! So we need to find a way to encourage humans to try and live on the surface. If there is a giant influx of human players in the underdark, this must be where potential Banites etc. are. But really, really, evil humans should be trying to make their way on the surface, where there is open sky, resources, and a climate/environment that is conducive to their biology. If I'm not mistaken, it is a little odd that Cyric is so strong in the Underdark. I was under the belief that he was a human diety... http://arelith.wikia.com/wiki/Cyric .

In the end, the Good and Evil spread/placement on Arelith seems to have moved away from traditional Dungeons and Dragons lore types. Perhaps with great perseverance, and movement against the status quo, things can be done to restore a traditional balance to the server.
Hextor is from the Greyhawk setting, Bane and Cyric of course are from the Realms
Ebonstar, Thank you!

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:30 pm

FYI Cordor isn't a good city. I honestly find Cordor most of the time to be LE as most of the time it seems to fall along the lines of people using and hiding behind laws to benefit themselves. Which is why the triad was never allowed to be the official city religions. Having a city set to be always good or evil is a bad idea.

Cordor can't ban or kill evil people on sight as it's a starter city. You can walk about saying you worship Bane, you just can't preach in the city. Many openly evil people have openly walked about the city, just like as long as you don't summon undead on Cordor territory, Cordor isn't going to simply jail you for being a known necromancer. Sometimes Cordor seems more good, sometimes more evil.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:03 pm

I mean that some good/neutral people or players do not act with the best interest of narrative in their minds, they stomp out evil at first sight, if evil does something, they overreact or ignore it, they treat evil as a nuisance or a pest rather than a real danger or a chance at interactive RP.

Playing an openly evil character on the surface can be very challenging.

Edit: What I suggest you do is find the people that you enjoy RPing with (on the evil side and good side) and try to avoid the ones that aren't seeking to do fun interactions.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:14 pm

It's actually incorrect to say Banites are allowed in Cordor atm.

It's based on the laws and chancellor at the time, but currently, worshiping Bane is outlawed. It might be FOIG, but I think it's unfair to the player to encourage the idea they're not going into a literally hostile environment where they may get exiled from the starter city for being open about their faith.

DarknessOfDespair

Post by DarknessOfDespair » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:35 pm

traditionally that the Underdark was a place for monster races, and that humans didn't seek out the underdark to live when they had the opportunity to live above ground.

Think i want to make a sociopathic serial killer. That becomes hero of the underdark for killing humans. Have to give them reasons to be afraid of the dark.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:45 pm

Rebel4ever wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:38 pm
Its because all other evil human character are living in the underdark for some reason. Which makes no sense lorewise but its something about they wanted a metropolitan underdark to compete with the surface...which slaughters drow roleplay almost completely. So from what i can see the underdark is where everyone who evil is supposed to be. Which makes no sense at all, but the Church of Bane could exist in the underdark no probelms because if it works for Cyric why not Bane?.

Well as much as Cyric is.
You should never tell anyone in a good city untill your sure where you stand. I have a cleric of Loviatar and she managed to persaude people Loviatar is not evil at all.
The Underdark canonically has a fairly sizable population of free, un-enslaved humans. If that ruins the underdark for you that sucks, but to imply that it's impossible to play a drow in that environment or that it isn't lore accurate is just ridiculous.

The reason Drow/Duergar are outnumbered by humans and kobolds is probably because for whatever reason people have more fun playing them than they do drow/duergar. Make it fun to play drow/duergar, and people will come back.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

flower

Post by flower » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:50 pm

Cortex wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:03 pm
I mean that some good/neutral people or players do not act with the best interest of narrative in their minds, they stomp out evil at first sight, if evil does something, they overreact or ignore it, they treat evil as a nuisance or a pest rather than a real danger or a chance at interactive RP.

Edit: What I suggest you do is find the people that you enjoy RPing with (on the evil side and good side) and try to avoid the ones that aren't seeking to do fun interactions.
I do not like they way you imply things are.

Players of evil characters often require special treatment while at same time giving little or nothing in return as well but pvp. They also repeat the same thing every day and honestly, when playing do gooder the last thing you want to do as player is to spend 100% of your time to counter the same plot every second day and putting every effort you do ig to fight the same single evil guy (and multiple his number by X) over and over and over instead of having fun with friends or in dungeons.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:53 pm

There is a bit of an issue in your way of thinking, ThruSeer. It is not by way of module development that the server is in its current state, but by way of the players who have driven it there. Developers provide the canvas and paint, and it's up to the players to shape it into something beautiful.

I guess it can seem a little strange to have the underdark city full of humans, but traditionally, it has been dominated by drow. Like everything on the server, there is an Ebb and Flow with how anything looks at any one moment.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:55 pm

flower wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:50 pm
Cortex wrote:

I do not like they way you imply things are.

Players of evil characters often require special treatment while at same time giving little or nothing in return as well but pvp. They also repeat the same thing every day and honestly, when playing do gooder the last thing you want to do as player is to spend 100% of your time to counter the same plot every second day and putting every effort you do ig to fight the same single evil guy (and multiple his number by X) over and over and over instead of having fun with friends or in dungeons.
do i have to add a disclaimer to every post ever that both sides have their own issues?

Rebel4ever

Post by Rebel4ever » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:13 pm

The Underdark canonically has a fairly sizable population of free, un-enslaved humans. If that ruins the underdark for you that sucks, but to imply that it's impossible to play a drow in that environment or that it isn't lore accurate is just ridiculous.
Really? So playing a true Lloth follower
Drow culture is distinguished by a curious mixture of monotheism and polytheism uncharacteristic of most human and demihuman cultures of the Realms. Most drow cities--such as Guallidurth, Menzoberranzan, and Ched Nasad--are ruled in the name of Lolth by priests of the Spider Queen and even the mention, let alone the worship, of other gods is forbidden. A few drow cities--such as Llurth Dreier (Ghaunadaur) and V'elddrinnsshar (Kiaransalee)--are ruled by the clergy of other drow powers in similar fashion, but they too forbid the worship or mention of all other gods.
Lloth Dogma
Fear is as strong as steel, while love and respect are soft and useless. Convert or destroy nonbeliever drow. Weed out the weak and the rebellious. Destroy impugners of the faith. Sacrifice males, slaves, and those of other races who ignore the commands of Lolth or her clerics. Raise children to praise and fear Lolth, each family should produce at least one cleric to serve her. Questioning Lolth’s motives or wisdom is a sin, as is aiding nondrow against the drow, or ignoring Lolth’s commands for the sake of a lover. Revere arachnids of all kinds; those who kill or mistreat a spider must die.
Tell me how you think a religion with that sort of dogma fits into a metropolitan city.
The reason Drow/Duergar are outnumbered by humans and kobolds is probably because for whatever reason people have more fun playing them than they do drow/duergar. Make it fun to play drow/duergar, and people will come back.
Ill quote what a dev said.
The Udos/Grond days of the Underdark saw a pretty constant narrative of Udos exerting power/authority over Grond. Many players of monster races often felt they were playing second class characters, and that they didn't have the same opportunities as players of Drow; even a lowly male was expected to be treated with respect by "lesser races" at the risk of displeasuring the leaders of Udos. It was (in my view) a great setting for storytelling, despite this - and the level of intrigue and subtle power dynamics between the different factions of the Underdark were quite something to be a part of.

But the concerns of the above-mentioned monster races players were valid, in that the setting really was stacked in favour of the Drow. That was a deliberate design decision; Udos was the established power, and the prevailing Llothite culture was xenophobic to the max.
He is totally right Lloth culture just doesn't mix.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:35 pm

Its an inarguable fact that the UD swung heavily in favor of human population when WT was destroyed and ghuldorand immediately (in a fairly OOC move) vassalized under brogdenstein to prevent evil surface PCs from moving in and taking over the town. The evil surface characters on the server did not migrate en masse into the UD purely due to roleplay, they were funneled in by mechanical systems controlled by two hostile armies of PCs, because the single evil bastion on the surface got nuked. They have no place on the server to call their own.

Sencliff was built to try and alleviate this, but so much of it is innately tied to being a pirate itself, that if the island was intended to be a place for evil surfacers to go, it is, frankly, failing in that mission. The settlement is constantly nearly empty, and half of its quarters stand empty even while Andunor, chock full of humans and mechanical outcasts, is completely out of housing.

Getting to sencliff is part of the problem.
The NPC to get to sencliff is located in a fairly obscure location(not exactly behind a locked door, but you have to really be looking for him, you simply won't stumble upon him on accident).
Another part of the problem is that PCs that move to sencliff, if they aren't pirates, can't do anything there. If I recall, all housing and shop ownership is relegated to pirate PCs only.

I feel that the issue could be alleviated signifigantly, if not entirely, if Sibiyad were turned into a full fledged settlement. That particular place has always been on the LE side of things, but it being so far out of the way, coupled with a dearth of housing and being generally unfriendly to anyone under lvl 12 at minimum, has kept its numbers perpetually low. Let team evil sieze Sibiyad and turn it into their new surface bastion, and you'll see the UD bounce back to pre-WTD(WharfTownDestruction) racial population ratios and an end to the dire overcrowding there.

Edit: At this moment, team good is winning overwhelmingly on the surface, and any time they discover an evil warlock, or small time villain, they exile them not to return on threat of PvP. Ghuldorand usually follows suit, and said evil PC has nowhere to go but the UD, and joins the huddled masses there. WT used to be the go-to for team evil if they got run out of town, but without it, Andunor has become such, and it is having a demonstrably adverse effect on roleplay in Andunor.

It feels as if the monstrous culture there is eroding as some people playing monstrous PCs are getting fed up with dealing with the influx and are seeking greener pastures. The UD is becoming surface-lite, because a great deal of the PCs that have been forced down into andunor are not outcasts, they just live there because there is nowhere on the surface for them to go where they won't face an army preventing their return. The UD on their part can't force them to leave, because there are so many of them, and the 'invader' is united against the local.

I hate to draw a comparison to real world politics, but the UD is the european union being flooded by a horde of 'refugees' whose culture does not mix with the local one at all, and like in the EU, the locals aren't sure what to do because they will be punished if they rise up to expell them even in their own self interest(We longtimer UD players remember the bans handed out when the outcasts were first introduced and were being killed en masse by the UD PCs.)
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Nekonecro

Post by Nekonecro » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:47 pm

Wow this topic went waaaay off course considering it was about playing Banite on the Surface.
The server tends to have waves of good domination to evil domination that changes over time as people retire old characters and make new ones.
While it may be difficult right now to play a loud open Banite, in a few weeks/months and so on the situation might just become very different.

For now just play what you want and find enjoyment in. It might be hard but with a little thought into the current situation there is fun in subterfuge, resistance, the underdog RP.

Mercestes

Post by Mercestes » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:22 pm

ThruSeer wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:32 pm
This is what happens with the goto venue for player conflict is PvP. I've been searching for some rigid, enforced rules surrounding PvP but I've seen nothing for pickpocket and haven't seen anything for PvP enforced. Forgotten Realms is particularly problematic because the entire system is rigged up to support violent conflict and tends to attract problematic players. There is just too many readily available excuses to go hostile with players with little to no RP involved. It's not a new problem.
Cortex wrote:
I mean that some good/neutral people or players do not act with the best interest of narrative in their minds, they stomp out evil at first sight
flower wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:50 pm
Players of evil characters often require special treatment while at same time giving little or nothing in return as well but pvp.
See, the thing is guys, you both are describing the opposite sites of the exact same problem. The problem is not an alignment problem, the problem is a player problem. In fact, it can be (and often is) the same players being the problem on both the good and evil characters.

I play a clearly evil character. He's dark, he's shadowy, he carries a scythe and shoots negative energy bolts. He even emotes things like "*the clearly evil man offers you a friendly smile*" But people aren't stabbing me or trying to stomp me out, but I'm also not going around pick pocketing people, I'm not murdering people, I'm not breaking into people's housing and stealing their stuff. I RP with people and I still help people do their quests in my clearly evil way.

I did not create a character with the intention of other PCs being my targets. When people do that, it doesn't matter what alignment they click, that's just their scapegoat for their intended targets. LG can be just as big a problem as CE, and really that all boils down to your rules on PvP. As long as you give players an excuse to be PvPers, they will use it.

Requiring agreement on PvP from both players (including pickpocket) will get you the narrative you want, but as it stands right now, it's just way too easy for people to create characters to harass / target other characters for their own amusement, and feel completely justified in doing so.
I encourage OOC sit-downs around my evil characters and their intentions. Let's tell a story together.

ThruSeer

Post by ThruSeer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:24 pm

As the OP, I don't personally mind at all that this thread is exploring Surface and Underdark population ideas. I think that the current environment for Banites on the surface is directly linked with what Durvayas described in his excellent and informative post.

Word on the streets is that the DM's are currently trying to fix the Door at the Church of Bane in the Minmir Hills.

I was there about an hour ago with my PC and the door didn't open when using the phrases.

Perhaps another PC can give it a go and find out if it is just an issue with my Player Character, or if it is a serverwide bug that affects all who seek to gain entry.

Good discussion here I think.
Last edited by Miaou on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do not directly reference details that are found while playing.

Void

Post by Void » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:52 pm

Hunter548 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:45 pm

Actually currently there are hordes of elves, halflings and dwarves down there. In addition to legion of drow.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

DishServedHot2

Post by DishServedHot2 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:03 pm

So I think there is some degree of FOIG that should be stated first. But I don't think it's impossible for a Banite to exist openly in Cordor. Recent actions have lead to a bit of a crackdown on Banites and Cyracists, but as far as actual enforcement goes, only Banites who make waves / cause other problems have to my knowledge been cracked down upon. There have been Banites who have been able to walk around openly wearing banite symbols without having problems with the guard (other characters is another matter), Cyracists are not being given as much leeway.

What I might suggest in the short term is playing a follower of another evil deity, and you will not encounter quite the same enmity. We even have open followers of evil gods in the guard at the moment. If you want to play a Banite specifically, it's not impossible to exist on the surface, but you are probably going to suffer a lot from characters being angry at the actions of other Banites. With the right evil gods you can also act fairly openly evil without revealing the name of your patrons.

If you avoid Cordor though, there are other surface settlements that are more accepting of evil characters like Sibayad, Sencliff, or Skal. Though Skal is its own special case.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:16 pm

I play a banite that walks around Cordor all the time and everyone knows hes banite. He wears the symbol, the colors, everything. He has not be bothered much. I think the reason is because he doesn't do much that is provocative or evil. He doesn't preach Bane because he knows Cordor, currently doesn't want that. He has recruited for Bane quietly by sitting with a sign in from]nt of him. Yes hell get hostile reactions form some people but Ive never been pk'ed for doing that :).

Also just because something is against the law doesn't mean you cannot do it :). It depends on your char, how people react to them, what your char is doing and so forth. Now I wouldn't push it if there were say an actual ban, but that's just me. Your char may have other ideas about whether or not they will obey laws.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:52 pm

When I get home, I'm taking a screenshot of the sign in front of Cordor right now stating faiths of Bane and Cyric are outlawed for clarity to you people.