Bane Hopeful

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

DishServedHot2

Re: Bane Hopeful

Post by DishServedHot2 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:26 pm

susitsu wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:52 pm
When I get home, I'm taking a screenshot of the sign in front of Cordor right now stating faiths of Bane and Cyric are outlawed for clarity to you people.
I'm fairly certain that they say that they are effectively on thin ice, and those actively furthering the aims of those faiths get in trouble, but I can double check when I get on.

DishServedHot2

Post by DishServedHot2 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:24 am

Right, just checked, the one in the eastern outskirts is still missing/vandalised destroyed, the one in the western outskirts is still up and says:

"By decree of the chancellor, to ward against Tyranny and Strife, and safeguard public order any person that can be reasonably considered to be acting to further the religious imperatives of either faith in a way that is detrimental to Cordor will be named a Pariah under the law."

Basically anybody causing troubles for the town of a tyrannical or strifeful nature will get consequences. By that wording, if you are just careful with your targeting you could fit right in with Cordor. (Although in my experience open Banites have more problems with angry bystanders than guards)

To my knowledge there are no Banites banned or pariahed from Cordor who were not also suspected of committing other crimes.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:21 am

Ive seen potential Banites get chased down in the streets and questioned by guards, to be fair. As well, I could have sworn the sign outright stated "outlawed" before, but that may have changed after Quentin or I'm simply remembering wrong.

DishServedHot2

Post by DishServedHot2 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:15 am

I think it was actually Quintin who relaxed it to that from previously outright bans, but my memory on it is a bit hazy right now. I also don't think being questioned by guards that horrible of a thing, and really an inevitable consequence of playing somebody openly evil. A lot of guard rp is looking for suspicious people and playing openly evil is to wave the suspicious flag.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:17 am

All Pariah means is you can't own a shop or house.

I haven't seen any banite being chased down by guards, honestly I don't see many guards about.

DishServedHot2

Post by DishServedHot2 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:40 am

I see plenty of guards about myself, however we are still recruiting.
Also, again, I'm not aware of any banites who are pariahs at this time who weren't suspected or found guilty of committing other crimes.
And even if you got Pariahship, just use somebody else to own the house or shop as a front then access it through factions or spare keys. Or have a shop or quarter anywhere else on the surface.

One way or another, I think it's quite possible to play a banite on the surface, and even in Cordor, but you should expect some level of hostility based on the actions of previous characters, and individual character's beliefs and fears. I think that the adversity faced is significantly less for followers and even priests of other evil gods, and openly evil characters have done quite well in Cordor in recent memory.

Stath

Post by Stath » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:31 am

Faith based conflict is an integral part of FR as a setting, but the real issue is that the majority of the playerbase greatly dislikes Banite characters, and this bleeds over into IC interactions- your average Banite can loiter outside the Nomad and find themselves openly mocked and insulted by people who'd never actually met a Banite until about five minutes ago. Most of the time, it's just this strange snide roleplay elitism and being selective with what story affects a character, for example a cadre of Banites are treated as petulant children throwing a tantrum and for the most part, ignored by Nuke Dukem, the level four Cordor Guard and his harem of Tiefling lovers.
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:54 am

ThruSeer wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:32 pm
Cordor seems firmly in the grasp of the Good,
Having played a number of evil Cordorian Councilors/Chancellors in my time, I'd say it's quite firmly LN, and with underlying Evil tendencies. Looked at from a certain point of view, Cordor is already doing more to advance the cause of Tyranny on Toril than any budding Church (a view that a Banite character of mine held, and actually founded an Evil Empire for the sole secret purpose of seeing how far waging war on Cordor could turn it to LE, even if it "banned Bane", or the leaders were paladins. The answer is, uh, pretty god damn far).

Cordor RP is often more political and I guess "nuanced" than open Banites wandering around, but I've personally seen in the past few years a Banite guard Commander and a Queen for the King chosen by character vote who's a Banite.
What is the history of Bane on Arelith? I fumble blindly without others to explain IC why and how Bane has come to be such a broken and shameful diety, a shadow of what his proud self should really be!
fair warning this is a highly opinionated reply, but here goes

Consistent and repeated failures of Churches over the course of over a literal- LITERAL -real life decade. Further, Bane's "overdone". Stonehold vs Light Keep was the Foreverwar that ticked on and on over the course of the first third-half of the server's history. In retrospect it was a cartoony Saturday Morning Breakfast Show where the villains would literally cackle as they tied fair maidens to trees and wait for the brightly coloured heroes to swoop in and save them. Being captured by Stonehold became a weekly rite for some people, and the entire affair seems childish and outdated today.

Light Keep got bombed, the remnants scattered to the winds, and "Good" RP was put into flux and struggled to find new homes, new styles, and new management. They succeeded, more or less.
Stonehold just got continually downsized until it was basically just a basement due to "fluctuating" (read: always dying, never dead) faction numbers, and Evil never got that rejuvenation-through-faction-death I believe it needs.

Full admission: I played the High Imperceptor of the Church of Bane before the current castle-temple was added, and I purposefully tried to smother it to death, hoping that finally - finally - we'd see something interesting. Then I replaced it with an Evil Empire (The Second Dominion of Northern Arelith) that tried to impose more of an imperial court aspect to LE roleplay (including being openly tolerant of basically all Evil but non-Chaotic faiths/cults and sheltering them) and a "great game" political power play aspect to the overarching "Good v Evil" rather than cartoonish stuff.

this naturally collapsed after getting too big for its britches, the people disappeared (mostly), and the basement temple still existed. and so the banites came back, starting the whole cycle anew, rather than ending in a "burning of benwick" to detonate the old style of rp and replace it with something new. In fact, the construction of the new Temple complex is probably perpetuating the issues you describe, it's just NOT a recent phenomenon - only the latest in a 10+ year issue.

here's a thing my banite imperceptor character wrote a while ago on the subject of cordor-as-hegemonic-tyranny that you may find interesting, and offer colour on my interpetation of banite rp

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:33 pm

Well I mean, team good does have like 4 times the population of the UD. I saw like 30 people show up to an IC bardic play thing on the surface. The amount of players on the surface compared to the UD is very large.

Void

Post by Void » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:03 pm

Cerk Evermoore wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:33 pm
Well I mean, team good does have like 4 times the population of the UD. I saw like 30 people show up to an IC bardic play thing on the surface. The amount of players on the surface compared to the UD is very large.
Just because someone appears to be good, it does not mean they aren't evil. Evil can be friendly and charming. Also, if someone is evil, it does not mean they wouldn't participate in a bardic play.

Andunor has many very large number of people congregating at a single point right now, possibly more than Cordor. For past few days it has been difficult to walk around the Hub without stepping on a drow or goblin, bumping into somebody's somebody's mummy or a spider. Surprisingly large number of people you occasionally bump in on the surface turned out to be secretly hanging out in UD.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:46 pm

Cerk Evermoore wrote:
Just because someone is on the surface or attends a play doesn't mean they're good.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:55 pm

Stath wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:31 am
Faith based conflict is an integral part of FR as a setting, but the real issue is that the majority of the playerbase greatly dislikes Banite characters, and this bleeds over into IC interactions- your average Banite can loiter outside the Nomad and find themselves openly mocked and insulted by people who'd never actually met a Banite until about five minutes ago. Most of the time, it's just this strange snide roleplay elitism and being selective with what story affects a character, for example a cadre of Banites are treated as petulant children throwing a tantrum and for the most part, ignored by Nuke Dukem, the level four Cordor Guard and his harem of Tiefling lovers.
As they say fear is earned. I had a group of four banites surround a new character I had who was doing the delivery quests. The four surrounded me and started rp'ing shoving and pushing me while demanding I say that I feared Bane. Do you think banites acting like simple street bullies gives the church a fearful reputation? So is it any wonder why sometimes they are treated like children throwing a tantrum?
Last edited by Sab1 on Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:00 pm

Sab1 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:46 pm
Cerk Evermoore wrote:
Just because someone is on the surface or attends a play doesn't mean they're good.
Just because someone is evil doesn't mean they are not still loyal to their friends / cities on the surface. The point I was trying to make is there are a lot more surfacers than folks in the Underdark.

Nyuunie

Post by Nyuunie » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:39 pm

Sab1 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:54 pm
Recently there was even an altar to Bane allowed in the city but was ordered removed after an incident that resulted in a few cordorian deaths.
The permission to have the altar was revoked after select near epic paladins kept harassing fresh off the boat Banites and they responded with displaying heads they found as a bluff. The Chancellor then was very opposed to Banites, and decided it was the last straw in a string of incidents that tested his patience regardless of who started it. This was fitting as Cordor was a "Good" city, and still is.

Currently, to my knowledge, no active Banites are Pariahed or exiled from Cordor. They are allowed to go to Cordor to conduct business, but they are not allowed to preach Bane's word or recruit within the walls - so generally you won't see overzealous individuals there.

As for the broken door, I have asked to get it fixed. The inner one was last patch, but the outer door remains borked. If you want to get into the Temple, you'll have to find either myself or my IG husband to let you in. We're planning on distributing keys, but only to those that we know are faithful since the last time a key made it into the hands of someone who wasn't the Church got raided.

Void

Post by Void » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:52 pm

Cerk Evermoore wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:00 pm
Sab1 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:46 pm
Cerk Evermoore wrote:
Just because someone is evil doesn't mean they are not still loyal to their friends / cities on the surface. The point I was trying to make is there are a lot more surfacers than folks in the Underdark.
Just because someone is surfacer, that does not mean they're good. Alignments are not exactly known to anyone other than staff.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:09 pm

Thread locked.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.