Arelith Classes and races steam workshop

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

livingNPC

Arelith Classes and races steam workshop

Post by livingNPC » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:19 am

Hi guys

Wanted to make a request if someone could add the arelith races and class changes for single player into the steam workshop. I'm unable to play anything that doesn't have a pause and save button at this time (joys of fatherhood), so went about getting all the single player stuff for NWN EE on steam, but vanilla classes and races are lacking.

Can someone be my hero and add it?

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Arelith Classes and races steam workshop

Post by DM Symphony » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:09 am

The Arelith features are fairly extensive and interdependent. If they were designed for single player distribution, the design could be quite simplified and would also end up being wildly different, in terms of how many files are used, and what's contained in each script.

Additionally, a lot of the race features in particular depend on NWNX plugins that edit character files during play. In order for the file editing to work, those scripts would have to be present, and useable, by the server computer, and there'd also have to be a server!

A lot of this kind of single player flexibility was what NWNCX was designed for, the C standing for "client" (instead of server), but there is no NWNCX for EE, and no plans to design make and maintain one either.

The features you're looking for might be accessible with some of the console commands, changing appearance and ability scores, for example.

Some might feel that doesn't have quite as polished of an effect, putting the extra step in there that isn't naturally part of the game, but one could argue that the "character creation area" in Arelith is very much the same.

Something small and similar might be more easily doable as a set of Overrides. It really depends on your shopping list of desired features.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:21 am

I'd moderate that a bit, Symph. It's entirely possible to run nwserver on a local PC.

However, at present, NWNX only runs on Linux. The quickest setup currently is to install a Debian VM on your PC, and to use the Docker containers published by the NWNX project to set up a NWNX enabled server instance, with which you can load any module. If you're Linux savvy, the process is actually very simple now (I did it myself a few days ago).

The bigger problem comes from integrating the Arelith engine into single player modules. It's not just a simple matter of copying some files into overrides... the engine hooks into the module in a whole load of places, and "Arelith-ifying" a module is hours of work for someone who knows their way around the Arelith engine, merging the custom code in the module with the Arelith custom code. That integration will inevitably have some bugs in it that need to be worked through.

-Mith
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Metzinsoft

Post by Metzinsoft » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:27 pm

Have you considered modding the race/class you want, yourself?

Get a custom portrait, and create a magical item in the toolset to modify your stats, grant special spells...Not too much work, and infinite options.

You can also change your in-game character model--Read this easy guide:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/188666 ... faqs/18642

R0GUE
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by R0GUE » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:22 pm

The only thing that I think would be cool is a way in a local module to build a character to 30 with Arelith content. Just to test out your build before you have to commit in the server. Would this ever be a possibility?

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:27 pm

The Arelith PGCC mod is there for build testing, may still be on 1.69 though. Rather than being a local module, it's a separately hosted instance purely for build work.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Rynn

Post by Rynn » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:24 pm

Mithreas wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:27 pm
The Arelith PGCC mod is there for build testing, may still be on 1.69 though. Rather than being a local module, it's a separately hosted instance purely for build work.
I tried to connect to it a few days ago and got the version mismatch error, so this seems to be the case.
Current Status: Character Drafting