IC Duel

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Kovacs
Arelith Platinum Supporter

IC Duel

Post by Kovacs » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:49 pm

Hello I am new to this server, so trying to read up on etc but since y’all been playing for a decade or more it is a little overwhelming.

Now to my question: I ran into a Half-orc that admittedly had killed two dwarves yesterday and things turned into an IC pvp. The half-orc was a much higher level than my char but I could not step down... So I used healing kits during the battle, and came out victorious at the end, he would have won if I did not use those.... so simple question is it ok to use healing kits in IC pvp? (btw had a good occ chat with the player after and we will fight another day :-) )
Plays Vestri Silverstream

Maladus

Re: IC Duel

Post by Maladus » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:53 pm

Absolutely it’s fine. The only IC time I’ve seen it frowned upon is during controlled PVP (arena or friendly duels) and there have been rules set out beforehand that restrict it.

Welcome to the server!

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:10 pm

Tooth and nail. As long as it's not an exploit, it's fair game.

Just remember to follow the RP before PvP rule, (both the letter and the spirit) and you'll be okay.

Kovacs

Post by Kovacs » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:11 am

Sure, all was RP'ed beforehand and the other character made the first hostile move - which was fine. So thank you for the feedback, do not wish to violate any server rules, guess the Orc should have been better prepared.

On a side note, I am old IRL (As my Character Vestri is in the game) I started out with MUD's before the internet was invented - Diku MUD at the university back in the late 80's based on some sort of C code and intranett)

Anyhow, a huge congrats to the Devs, DM's and players on this server.. the best immersive gaming experience I ever had *strolling over to the donate button*

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:33 am

On Arelith things are more towards the mechanical side where if you can do it, and it's not an exploit, it's fair game .. but if you do want to have a plain old battle and take it easy on one another, sometimes I've found that whispering the other player during/before hand to see if they're cool with drawing the battle out for the sake of fitting more emotes/dialogue/theatrics in, can work well and lead to some really awesome RP.

You totally didn't do anything wrong and it's really cool that you checked. Hope you're enjoying the server and welcome :)
It's nice to see people taking time out of their day to make sure others around them are having fun and stuff.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:25 am

Generally, its not considered a serious duel if both sides are mummifying themselves with kits, because it becomes less about skill, and more about who had deeper pockets and stuffed said pockets with healing supplies beforehand. Attritional fights like that last aaaages, and usually result in both parties saying things like "I can do this all day" which is a bit silly.

That said, if the other party didn't stipulate no healing kits during the fight, then they don't strike me as a very good duelist IC. OOCly, everything seems totally fine and above board, but allowing you to use kits was their mistake to make.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Conversations With Your Car Alarm

Post by Conversations With Your Car Alarm » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:42 am

I don't do it because it seems silly to me. But, that's me.

Kovacs

Post by Kovacs » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:52 am

I guess we will find a good solution to this RP wise and I ill make sure we agree on terms IC before the next bout... just asking as I am new to the server so all inputs are welcome, and yes I agree that it might seem silly to heal up like that.. but hey I was IRL scared of the Orc :-)

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:22 am

It's not against the rules as far as I know, but I have always found it a bit strange as well.

Personally, I tend to save Potions of Heal (or Cure Crit at lower levels) for mid-combat, since bandages make you flat-footed(potions don't). Potions of Heal will heal faster than bandages can anyways, if you can get your hands on them.
I prefer them having a free attack against my full AC over the AC penalty.

If I do want to use a bunch of bandages, 9 times out of 10 I'll try to disengage and get some distance before using them.

But again, at the end of the day, it's not against the rules, and it can't really be expected that no one will do so(I've seen it countless times).

Kovacs

Post by Kovacs » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:10 am

So, as I said I had a "talk" with the player OOC after.. and he/she will have the chance for retribution next time around.. but at the same time this was a high level character playing an anti dwarf char in a newbie area so sort of asking for it in my opinion. But yes I will try to get distance and resolve the matter in RP instead next time, the person playing the Orc was 100% nice OOC afterwards so this is no biggie. And I love this server :-)

Leshpar

Post by Leshpar » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:28 pm

If it gets to be about who carries more healing kits, I doubt there are many that carry as much as Kariseth does. Lol

reighbo

Post by reighbo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:27 pm

I ran into a Half-orc that admittedly had killed two dwarves yesterday and things turned into an IC pvp.
Please, just understand ... IF i'd show up IG/IC ... I'd be cheering for the Half-orc.
But that is only because id play as a goblin.
So i'll cheer for you HERE instead.

:D BRAVO! GOOD FIGHT! GOOD WIN! WAY TO STICKER THREW! BRAVO! :D

Tho do keeps in mind also,
YOU, can set rules IC, in a fight ... to PvP.
But sum folks can even seem to agree, to the rules set IC.
Yet allowed to ... LIE & CHEAT, to an extent as their own alignment, or even race might dictate. (while staying in server rules).
Would a Drow, Kobold, Orog, Gnoll, Goblin ... actually even stick to their own ... rules ?
Dwarfs ? sumtimes.
Yet even getting caught "red-handed" IC cheating, ... can carry its own baggage, like getting IG-killed, or chased out of tournaments/arenas/settlements/evicted/exiled ... and worse yet ... even "booed" by the crowds of IC onlookers!

Yet when these rules are set more OCC, its much different of coarse ... and utterly mind-blowing as to what all can get arranged.

:mrgreen:

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:55 pm

Kovacs wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:49 pm
Hello I am new to this server, so trying to read up on etc but since y’all been playing for a decade or more it is a little overwhelming.

Now to my question: I ran into a Half-orc that admittedly had killed two dwarves yesterday and things turned into an IC pvp. The half-orc was a much higher level than my char but I could not step down... So I used healing kits during the battle, and came out victorious at the end, he would have won if I did not use those.... so simple question is it ok to use healing kits in IC pvp? (btw had a good occ chat with the player after and we will fight another day :-) )
Its an RP server so things like duel 'honor' or whatever is 100% your characters take on it.

Realisticly expect to see people do things like score a knockdown and use that time to quaff three potions of heal.
\

Kovacs

Post by Kovacs » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:19 pm

Thanks, I'll get the knockdown feat then ;-)

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:45 pm

If you want build help hit me up.

If you're new to nwn it's good to understand that builds are very hard, and even basic unintuitive things can really matter, such as the order you take your levels, that alone can have a huge bearing on your character and turn them from effective to trash.
\

Brandon Steel

Post by Brandon Steel » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:38 pm

I have to say that I personally think healthkits mid PVP fight are pretty lame, but it’s not against the rules and every 1v1 duel I’ve ever seen has done it so you’re fine.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:11 am

Brandon Steel wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:38 pm
I have to say that I personally think healthkits mid PVP fight are pretty lame, but it’s not against the rules and every 1v1 duel I’ve ever seen has done it so you’re fine.
If you don't like it, do something about it IC. Challenge your opponent to an honorable duel. But, if you're forcing PvP on people, you can't expect them to play by your rules.

Brandon Steel

Post by Brandon Steel » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:55 am

PinataPlethora wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:11 am
Brandon Steel wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:38 pm
If you don't like it, do something about it IC. Challenge your opponent to an honorable duel. But, if you're forcing PvP on people, you can't expect them to play by your rules.
Honestly rapidly bandaging yourself with a stack of kits in a few seconds hardly feels like RP nor something that would really be a point that would be brought up. “Hey man lets fight but you can’t use 50 health kits during it” Like yeah, obviously, how am I going to effectively bandage myself with a few hundred pound of bandages while also fighting someone at the same time?

Regardless I was just trying to throw my opinion in, I don’t want OP to think what he did is wrong because as the server rules stand there is no problem with it.

Also considering I was a uninvolved witness to this, neither side “forced” combat, I don’t really know why you brought that up or why that would be relevant regardless.

Kovacs

Post by Kovacs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:26 pm

I agree and it did not feel great to bandage myself during the fight, sort of on autopilot “in a boss fight” – hence the post. Since you were present you know the Orc admitted to having killed two other dwarves, so to my Clangeddin Silverbeard worshiping dwarf that becomes a forced PVP.

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:16 pm

Kovacs wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:26 pm
Since you were present you know the Orc admitted to having killed two other dwarves, so to my Clangeddin Silverbeard worshiping dwarf that becomes a forced PVP.
Axes high! :D

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:57 pm

Healing mid fight makes it way easier to hit you.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:41 pm

If anybody ever needs help with builds, tactics or mechanics, the best way is to make a thread about it under Builds & Mechanics, multiple heads are better than one.
:)

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:34 am

Arbitrarily saying what PvP tactics are lame and what aren't is a downward spiral as there will be as many opinions on this subject as there are players. What's allowed is allowed, like it or not, use it or not, but don't be salty if you choose to shoot yourself in the foot and then lose.

flower

Post by flower » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:42 pm

character fights for its life.

Nothing else matters. Use anything you got to survive, and to kill opponent to surivive. REst is just pointless chat for bards in taverns :)

Void

Post by Void » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:53 pm

Kovacs wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:49 pm

It is "anything goes". There are no enforced rules on behavior within pvp as far as I know, so what you do depends on your character.

Basically, a honorable type with a duel in cordor's arena probably won't try to cheat and might establish rules regarding healing kit use..

In it is a fight to the death in some dungeon, then most of my characters would use every tool at their disposal to survive and maybe win the encounter.

Speaking of which, there are characters around that cannot be defeated with healing kits, because they pretty much always deal more damage per round than a healing kit can restore.

So, it is a valid tactic and there's nothing wrong with it.
Another forum ban, here we go again.