IC Duel

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Iceborn

Re: IC Duel

Post by Iceborn » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:38 pm

A character may fight for their life, but remember that ultimately, the purpose of the game is to write stories.
There are some fights that are better won, there are some that are better lost. And losing tastefully is a rare skill in Arelith.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Void

Post by Void » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:19 pm

Iceborn wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:38 pm
A character may fight for their life, but remember that ultimately, the purpose of the game is to write stories.
There are some fights that are better won, there are some that are better lost. And losing tastefully is a rare skill in Arelith.
I've yet to see an OOC disaster as a result of PVP on arelith, to be honest.

Also, I think that the only right thing to do is to use your combat abilities to the full extent character would use. Trying to "throw the fight" and "just let them win" would demean opponent's victory.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:24 am

That's a rather poor philosophy to apply in a RPing game.
Remember that first and foremost, this is not a competitive game - it's a cooperative environment, where we are all supposed to be working with each other, EVEN when our characters are fighting each other (specially when our characters are fighting each other!)
A victory should not mean more than a defeat.

To play here, you have to challenge the notion that winning is the objective. It's not. Winning is only an option, and not one that is superior to defeat, or a stalemate.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Void

Post by Void » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:37 pm

Iceborn wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:24 am
That's a rather poor philosophy to apply in a RPing game.
Remember that first and foremost, this is not a competitive game - it's a cooperative environment, where we are all supposed to be working with each other, EVEN when our characters are fighting each other (specially when our characters are fighting each other!)
A victory should not mean more than a defeat.

To play here, you have to challenge the notion that winning is the objective. It's not. Winning is only an option, and not one that is superior to defeat, or a stalemate.
Character vs Character combat does not mean lack of cooperation between players and does not prevent story creation.

Going easy on someone and "letting them win" for OOC reason, however, would deprive them from fun of having a nice combat encounter. This is not a very good behavior. If you respect the other player, then in case of character combat you should throw every ability your character would use in this situation.

It does not prevent story creation and it does not prevent cooperation. The outcome of the combat encounter can also affect your character's story. Perhaps you character expected to win and was destroyed. They could seek more strength and allies. Perhaps the character expected to lose and won easily. That would make them believe in their own strength a bit more.

Also you don't need to fight someone to take them out. Making friends and hiring assassins is an option at any level. If you do not fight yourself, make someone fight for you.

Speaking of which, weasilng your way out of combat is also an option.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:17 pm

I don't disagree for the most part.
The only thing that I would point is that I find the notion of "the deprivation of fun of combat" as somewhat absurd myself.
But that's just me. I know I don't play in Arelith for the thrills of PvP, and I like to keep that stuff as far away from my game as possible.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Void

Post by Void » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:03 pm

Iceborn wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:17 pm
I don't disagree for the most part.
The only thing that I would point is that I find the notion of "the deprivation of fun of combat" as somewhat absurd myself.
But that's just me. I know I don't play in Arelith for the thrills of PvP, and I like to keep that stuff as far away from my game as possible.
I thoroughly enjoy combat mechanic (albeit I very rarely end up in pvp), so in a situation with a human opponent and not a scripted monster, I'd be quite disappointed to learn they "let me win for OOC reason", and would not treat them this way myself. I think it would be disrespectful.

If you don't wanna fight, then as I said - talking your way out of combat encounter is an option. Having powerful friends is another one.