Be nice: Not just for PvP

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Drake Strongfist

Be nice: Not just for PvP

Post by Drake Strongfist » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:10 pm

So as a long time player here, I wanted to comment on you know, being nice.

All of us geezers expected we would see a rise in players after the release of EE. We were right, and I'm pretty confident in saying that everyone thinks this is awesome!

However, I've noticed a trend as I play lately that is pretty common, a little disturbing, and frankly the reason why many of us kept playing NwN (arelith and other servers), rather than running to the vast options of MMORPGs that are out there.

If your party or character, is headed toward a dungeon and encounters another group or party. Please take a moment to ask yourself if your character would realistically see a group engaged in battle with the local hostiles, then choose to run past them in battle, deeper into said dungeon, sprinting to the boss, and treasure because your toon wanted to be first, or didn't like getting beat to the punch, or....whatever? (I'm looking at you paladin's and do-gooders)

Now...here's the thing. I get it. Its safe to assume that many of our players are younger and haven't played NwN before. I totally see how this can just be a common practice with you guys. I've played WoW, but this game is far older and doesn't work that way. Everyone doesn't get their own shiny new spawn to accommodate their quest. Here, you have to leave the area and wait for 15 mins to give the map time to respawn. It breaks fluidity of the adventure and certainly strains immersion and rp. This is all a bit annoying but it becomes maddening when its forced on you by way of another player bolting past you to "take over" the dungeon. This becomes full on rage inducing when its done by "Captain Good Guy, Champion of the Underdog" who you later see in town talking about how they fight for truth and justice.

Although! I was in a low level party when it happened to me the other day. A pair of half-orcs, wouldn't speak common bullied on by us and rushed to the boss. Our two groups split ways, realized hour writ was unfufilled, decided IC that we wouldn't tolerate that then got obliterated by the half orcs in question. I'm not mad about that. IC'ly speaking thats exactly what half orcs should be expected to do. My low level guy being a barb, I figured he would've reacted as he did. No biggie. Flavor. A chance encounter that turned bad. It happens.

(I do have a complaint about their being like lvl 8, hunting the sewer rat leader but hey, maybe they don't know where else to go yet. So I wont bitch about that happening yet.)

Basically, can we all just try and be considerate of others? If you are on your hunt and you run into another group, offer to join, let them have the lead since they beat you to the punch fairly, and if its in your character to do so, sure by all means, fight over it if you must but try not to be a douche about it. Certainly don't just rush on past and sprint your way to asshat-dom. Please?

BegoneThoth

Re: Be nice: Not just for PvP

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:15 pm

Our two groups split ways, realized hour writ was unfufilled, decided IC that we wouldn't tolerate that then got obliterated by the half orcs in question.
You picked a fight and lost?

There's not really an issue, here, if you start a fight and get trounced that's not a violation of 'be nice.' Neither is running past someone to finish writs as writs are a 100% ic motivation to plow dungeons.
\

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:18 pm

This feels like it belongs in a report, rather than a forum rant. It doesn't seem like a direct rule-break, but it's a 0 RPR playstyle, so the DMs may be able to coach said offenders.

In my experience, this sort of thing is an extreme rarity. It's January 1st at the gym. I highly doubt if anyone who does this is going to be on the forums.

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:29 pm

While I agree this does kinda seem a bit of a dick move, consider too if these are newer players or older players, older players generally show some tact and decorum knowing well enough its kinda rude and will generally try and work it out, newer players are often coming from MMORPGs and haven't really come to understand the terms of "Be Nice" we all know and love. That said a LG Paladin probably shouldn't be bullying people out of places....but thats for DMs to decide which is where its good to contact a DM and say "Excuse me, I believe we may have some new players in X location, I suspect they are new players and may be a bit unsure of how things work, X player is a LG Paladin of X god and helped bully me out of the dungeon, then went back to town preaching about how they fought for Justice and Good." The DM will then decide whether or not this requires a DM to take them aside a moment and talk to them about how to RP a Paladin of X god seriously and some improvements to help them settle into the game, and even if they are older players...I still recommend the suggested option of Reporting...Since again, its for the DM to decide if they are playing a Paladin of X properly. Good Luck!

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:33 pm

You mean this didn't happen before EE?
:)

Drake Strongfist

Post by Drake Strongfist » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:39 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:15 pm
Our two groups split ways, realized hour writ was unfufilled, decided IC that we wouldn't tolerate that then got obliterated by the half orcs in question.
You picked a fight and lost?

There's not really an issue, here, if you start a fight and get trounced that's not a violation of 'be nice.' Neither is running past someone to finish writs as writs are a 100% ic motivation to plow dungeons.
Not the point. Totally initiated the fight and lost. Not at all upset by it, and was in fact using it as a example of a good, flavor adding element to that encounter.
Cortex wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:33 pm
You mean this didn't happen before EE?
Oh it ABSOLUTELY did. It just wasn't as common as it is now. I suspect due to the large spike in player numbers recently.

Hexgoblin

Post by Hexgoblin » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:15 pm

Darting past a party doing a dungeon is deplorable.

Either take up the issue with the present party if you're the second arrival, and if that leads to a fight -- well, so be it. That's fine. We're playing in a dynamic environment where characters will have clashes of allegience or interest. Or just, y'know, decide to partake in another section of Arelith's plethora of content for half an hour until the already present party finish and then make your return.

Both options vastly superior to just ignoring a party of players' existance in favor of an objective.

Song of Storms

Post by Song of Storms » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:31 pm

Hexgoblin wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:15 pm
Darting past a party doing a dungeon is deplorable.

Either take up the issue with the present party if you're the second arrival, and if that leads to a fight -- well, so be it. That's fine. We're playing in a dynamic environment where characters will have clashes of allegience or interest. Or just, y'know, decide to partake in another section of Arelith's plethora of content for half an hour until the already present party finish and then make your return.

Both options vastly superior to just ignoring a party of players' existance in favor of an objective.
Just last night I had something like this happen. Unfortunately for the person rushing ahead the enemy was too strong for them. Unfortunately for us they rushed back our way when they were almost dead. And because I'm a nice person, We saved them. But they ran off shortly after with barely anything said.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:33 pm

Drake Strongfist wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:39 pm
Oh it ABSOLUTELY did. It just wasn't as common as it is now. I suspect due to the large spike in player numbers recently.
It sounds like you already know why this happened, and that the perpetrators have not yet joined the larger community, so I don't see how this thread can do anything but rile up experienced players who already understand courtesy, and turn their anger toward new players.

That is the opposite of what we need, right now.

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:49 pm

More realistic:
1. You're armed to the teeth and find people fighting. THere's too much chaos and you can't tell who is on whose side. Your mage AoE-spams then you sort through the bodies.
2. You're a part of adventurers in a dungeon. You find another group of people in the dungeon. Your mage AoE-spams because they're probably just mobs anyway.
20 RPR GANG

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:00 pm

Drake Strongfist wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:10 pm
Please take a moment to ask yourself if your character would realistically see a group engaged in battle with the local hostiles, then choose to run past them in battle, deeper into said dungeon, sprinting to the boss, and treasure because your toon wanted to be first
I'D 100% DO THIS EVEN IRL :P

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:13 pm

Honestly I think it's not new players, but old people who can't be assed with new players.
:)

Rebel4ever

Post by Rebel4ever » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:19 pm

Cortex wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:13 pm
Honestly I think it's not new players, but old people who can't be assed with new players.
I think your right. A big part is...they are higher level they know they will win. They might also feel invaded or something...but some of them are pretty hostile. I was talking IC about the state in the underdark and some level 30 just kills me because she didn't agree IC and it annoyed her...ok fair enough. Then she picks up my corpse and refuses to give it up...so don't blame the new guys...i was dead and couldn't interact with her for 24 hours...but she keeps the corpse because? yeah...
Last edited by Rebel4ever on Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Iannos

Post by Iannos » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:26 pm

I see the point OP is trying to make. It's not a matter of direct violation to the server rules, rather than a polite way to approach someone IC and a way to keep the game fun for everyone OOC.

I am extremely new to this persistent world thing, still in the very beginning having only done 2-3 quests.

It didn't take me long to find out that waiting for rats to respawn is not fun at all.

I have also done the xvart quest and some exploring below the xvart cave with some interesting guy I met ingame. At some point we met a group of higher level players whom we joined.

Yes, in terms of strategy and gameplay it wasn't the best experience watching them running and cutting through everything. But it was fun in terms of rp and to be honest much better than waiting for respawns. Not to mention that in the end, the quest reward was there waiting for us.

I am not sure if this game has hooked me, but if I stay and eventually level up, definitely I am not going to steal spawns.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:33 pm

Locked. This should have been a report. Not a topic of debate. This leads to finger pointing.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.