OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Arelith Overrides

Post by DM Symphony » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:56 am

Hello, I'm Symphony.

I've placed a collection of Arelith overrides onto the Steam Workshop and the Neverwinter Vault.

The Steam Workshop overrides are part of the Arelith Collection, which is a one-stop shop for subscribing to all current Arelith downloads with one " + Subscribe to all" button.

For those who are not using Steam to play Neverwinter Nights, I've also placed the files on the Neverwinter Vault. However, separate files, such as my fixes and shaders, are not included, and could probably best be located on my Projects Page.

We have some strong ambitions with the future of these overrides, and in the coming weeks, they will be fleshed out with Arelith approved visual improvements to optionally increase the performance and appeal of the game.

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Arelith Overrides

Post by DM Symphony » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:44 am

The Arelith Overrides have been updated with the following change.

I made this change despite it being recycled (old) NWN content that I did not create, because it was easy, and it seemed like nobody else could/would do it. All in all it took me about 10 minutes to make/install/upload.
[b1]Colorized Quivers:[/b]
Originally published by the DLA team in the very early days of NWN as neck models (before there were wings, cloaks, and robes), this quiver model was originally created by NexusJnr and Astorax for the purpose of swapping neck models for neck models with quivers WHEN arrows existed in the ammo slot of the inventory. This scripted function has not been included, but rather these quivers now replace the base (full) quiver that comes with the game, as a back model.

This will allow characters to have quivers and arrows that match their clothing colors, be advised that the colors are automatic, and you may want to change your armor colors with the quiver in mind, and use per part coloring to return individual pieces to what you prefer.

Additionally, it seems the wing models (back models are wing models) do not update colors on equipment change like heads do (heads with hats, for instance), perhaps because none of them have colorable models. This could cause some inconsistency for people who change outfits often. The best way to get the right colors is to disable/enable the back model using the Craft Traps menu.
Those with Steam Workshop subscriptions will have the quivers automatically upgraded, those playing with the Beamdog client will need to get the files from me, until I update the Neverwintervault.org Arelith Overrides entry.

Oh, here's a preview:
https://i.gyazo.com/63ff25a4dc73facb54e ... 651e57.mp4

Conversations With Your Car Alarm

Post by Conversations With Your Car Alarm » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:18 pm

This is so cool. Thank you.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:53 pm

Thank you so much, Symphony! Your work is, as always, top quality =)

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DM Symphony » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:01 pm

The Arelith Overrides have been updated with the following change.

I made this change despite it being mostly an HD texture I passed out last year, pre EE, because I do think it helps showcase some of the lighting changes. It was also very easy. It will also probably improve performance.
Weapon Retextures:

The standard w_metal_tex.tga has been overridden with a 2k dds with new, but similar coloring, as well as normal and specular mapping. This changes the looks of most of the weapons in the game.
In addition to placing these weapon textures in the Steam Workshop Changes item, I have also updated the Neverwinter Vault link, with both weapon textures and colorized quivers. https://neverwintervault.org/project/nw ... th-changes
This means that if you do not play with the Steam client, you can now download the colorized quivers along with the rest of these changes in a small extractable package of /override files.

Preview:

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DM Symphony » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:30 pm

Good afternoon Arelith,

I'm letting you know that I'm making big changes to the Arelith overrides. The main change comes in the form of providing grouped hak packages that can be preloaded like overrides. Arelith, being a hak free server, doesn't request that any haks are loaded when you join the server, but NWN has a patch system built in to load hak contents as it loads override contents, right when you start the game.

This gives me a lot of creative control over sending out lots and lots of different content, and allowing players the choice of what content groups they are looking to use. Some people may not want high quality overrides as they may slow down their computer, for instance.

Using this hak system will also make it a lot easier for Arelith Players to use the server overrides, and turn them off when they are not using them, whether they are playing single player, or multiplayer campaigns that do not take place on the Arelith Server.

Meanwhile, for Steam players, the content will be still available, for now, in override-merging format with Workshop items. Steam players can also use the hak-patch system to ensure that the Arelith overrides are being loaded and merged to their preference, no matter what they are currently subscribed to. If you do plan on using the Workshop Items, there is no such thing as "layers" or "order", as everything gets somehow combined and used side-by-side, and much of the following information is less important.

I am also providing screenshots, technical help, and discussion in an Arelith Overrides Discord server. https://discord.gg/WGQH2Js

I've been told I'm very "Strict" on Discord, and if you send messages about not-arelith-not-overrides-not-NWN-not-graphics stuff, I will probably delete them.

Subscription Service

The override files will still be updated as before, either acquired on Steam or from the Vault. The patching system will allow you to stay current with the files without putting content you wouldn't like to use into your gameplay, each player will still have small customization over which of the downloaded files they use.

This kind of customization is really difficult with the override folder, before, where adding 2000 files might result in adding unwanted materials to the game, or overwriting one of those files with others might not be easily reversed, since they would have to find the new replacement files, delete them, and may not have backups of the files that came with the rest of their overrides originally.

For workshop subscribers, the options are broken up into different override pages. You can subscribe and unsubscribe to each to get the override "depth" that you want.

Base Game Patching

Some of the files I'm adding to a separate update are "vanilla resources" that have been "finished". That is to say that when they were distributed in 1.69, the last patch Bioware shipped for the game, many of the additions were in raw uncompiled forms, and must be compiled during gameplay (each time you play, while you are playing and the game needs those objects). This causes some performance issues, particularly if these models have errors in them.

These additions to the core game will provide the base layer haks for Arelith overrides. Right now, however, I've recompiled nearly 20,000 assets, and they need to be tested to find issues. If you are comfortable with looking for ways to help, please use these core updates, so that I can continue to fix them and update them underneath our custom content as time goes on.

These additions will also contain fixes to "missing content", when specific files were never made. An example of these would be Blacksmith Aprons for Large Phenotypes. If I make large blacksmith aprons (I have not yet), they will also be in these "core game update" files.

These files will not be on the Steam Workshop, and will only be available in hak form from the Neverwinter Vault. Steam users can patch them into the game with patch haks, where they will overwrite all standard resources AND override resources, including those from their subscriptions, and including the Arelith Graphics Overrides on Steam Workshop. In order to use both, you must also patch hak the Arelith Overrides with the hak files from the Neverwinter Vault.

Base Fixes

This will be a very small package for people who want the few dozen specific fixes to base game content, such as "large aprons" (haven't made them yet), without taking the risk of downloading and loading 15,000 files that replace several tilesets and many of the game's textures. This file is called "ar_fixes.hak", but is also contained in the overrides of the Arelith Changes Steam Workshop item, so you do not have to download the base game patch files in order to get fixes to cloaks on horses, for example.

Arelith Changes

Changes specific to the Arelith Server, such as spear and trident changes, harper paragon turn undead, etc, will be contained in an AR hak layer on top of the base changes. This hak will resemble the current "Arelith Changes" overrides, but will be packaged into a single hak file. The graphical changes in this override, such as the colored quivers, and the weapon textures, have been removed and placed into a custom content layer. For Workshop subscribers these graphical overrides have already been removed and placed into the Arelith Graphics Override Workshop Items.

Arelith Art Upgrades

There will be 3 layers of custom content adding override haks. This hopefully gives everyone a pleasant amount of modification flexibility to the game. They are also available as three different subscriptions on the Steam Workshop.

The first layer will be published content that could be considered somewhat "official". This will be tested and appreciated upgrade content that seems to be free of fixable bugs and performance issues, and is suitably compiled and encoded for distribution.

The second layer will be publish candidate materials, that seem to be ready to use, but should be tested and possibly modified after receiving large amounts of use. They may also be in raw formats and may not perform as well until they are compiled. Some of these materials may not "make the cut" after testing, and may end up being deleted from this layer without being promoted to "published", thus removing them from the game entirely.

The third layer will be "experimental" content, where you may elect to audition some high quality high impact materials, or materials whose working method may be sloppy or in need of improvement, but accomplish an impressive result. As with all layers, this layer will of course be optional and voluntary, but care should be taken before enabling, I'm not going to "take orders" from players wanting me to remove content from this layer because it slowed their game down too much during PVP or something, and they died. You have been warned.

It is worth mentioning that all content on all of these layers, even the experimental ones, may require testing and cause performance issues and unpredictable gameplay, but none of them should crash your game, or cause any irreversible damage to your characters or your installation. If you have any reproducible crashes that seem to occur with the patch haks that do not occur without them, please inform me immediately, preferably in the Bug Reporting forum.

Misc.

Some players may elect to find/request extra layers to stack on top of the rest of the collection. The flexibility of this patch hak system allows it, so if players want to "override the overrides" with other content, they are welcome to do so, in the event that they want to, say, replace all of the creepy crawly spiders in the game with large floating text that just says "Spider Here". It may also appeal to players using the Arelith Unofficial Portrait Collection to pack the portraits into a hak, and also put it somewhere in the list. Like the rest of the .ini's, which are essentially saved menu options, whether they exist in the game menus or not, the configuration of the patch haks is left to player preference.

Installation Instructions:

To load the patch overrides into your game is a three step installation process.

The first thing that you will need will be the haks. They will need to be in your /hak directory, in your user/documents/neverwinter nights folder, and NOT the Beamdog Library /hk folder. The /hk folder, and the rest of the folders in your Beamdog Library path, is only for Beamdog to put files in, for premium modules, and will be overwritten every game patch / verify install, etc, so that it is the same on everyone's computer.

Here is the Neverwinter Vault Download Page
https://neverwintervault.org/project/nw ... -overrides
[PLACEHOLDER FOR BASE_DDS AND BASE_MDL HAKS LINK]

For those subscribing to the Steam Workshop normal override files, and NOT using the patch haks, here is the link to the Arelith Collection, which contains links to all of the override items. After subscribing your installation process is pretty much over.
Arelith Collection Steam Workshop Collection

Due to the nature of the publishing methods of both platforms, I am likely to update the Steam Workshop versions, particularly the testing and experimental haks, more frequently than the Neverwinter Vault packages. Workshop updates to testing and experimental layers may occur without release notes or details on changes. This is to allow me to spend more time working on those game files, and less time typing information like this post, which hopefully should equate to content being made and published sooner, and in larger amounts.

The second thing you'll need to do is to direct your patch path to the game folders. The /documents/Neverwinter Nights folder has each player's personal game data, including the settings specified in .ini files to "set" the game's configuration on launch. nwn.ini is a text document that preserves many of your in-game settings. The [Alias] section at the top lists all of your game folder paths. Unfortunately the path for the Patch system does not come standard with the current install, so you will need to add it.

With some consideration, I've decided NOT to put patch haks in a new folder called "patch", as was standard practice in NWN, and instead put them with the rest of the hak files in the "hak" folder. This may prevent some duplication on player computers if they decide they want to use other override materials from haks in their patch setup, and, may make the Arelith Overrides available to builders who wish to include patch haks in server haks for their modules.

If the PATCH=\ line does not exist in your nwn.ini, do add it with a text editor (like notepad, wordpad, notepad++, textedit, etc.), and ensure it matches your HAK=\ line. That is, if your HAK=\ line looks like:
HAK=C:\Users\Arelith\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\hak

ADD a line below it that exactly says:

PATCH=C:\Users\Arelith\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\hak

Save and close the .ini afterwards to make sure your changes go into effect. If you have doubts, reopen the nwn.ini to make sure there is indeed a line that says PATCH=/ that points to the same folder as HAK=/

The third thing you'll need to do to load the haks is create a patch ini, a text document named "userpatch.ini". Each line must have the numbers incremented, and each hak you wish to load must be listed, without .hak extension, in the order you wish to load them. Later loading haks containing the same files as earlier loading haks will replace the earlier files with their own. If you are familiar with haks, then you should consider the "last" patch hak to be the "top hak" that overwrites any preceeding hak content with its own.

Some similar instructions on hak-patching can be found here.

Here are some alternative setups:

"Conservative"
This is a userpatch.ini which will load just the server changes and few bug fixes with NWN content (missing models, bad shadows)

[Patch]
PatchFile000=ar_fixes
PatchFile001=ar_changes

"The Works"

[Patch]
PatchFile000=base_mdl
PatchFile001=base_dds
PatchFile002=ar_changes
PatchFile003=ar_gfx
PatchFile004=ar_gfxtest
PatchFile005=ar_gfxxxx

Note that the few dozen files in ar_fixes.hak will be among the files in the base_mdl.hak and base_dds.hak, which contain more than 20,000 files combined. Therefore you could only benefit from the ar_fixes.hak if you are not choosing to use the base haks. (In case you're curious, NWN has about 90,000 files in its base installation assets)

With the haks installed, the ini path'd, and the userpatch.ini listing the haks, starting the game should load the haks. If you are looking for an indicator to make sure it worked, I've added update notes to the "legal" "splash screen" just before the main menu, when launching the game, to ar_gfxtest and ar_gfxxxx. They appear in the top left and top right corners respectively.

Updates to these versons from previous versions:

base_ haks now contain around 20,000 overwriting core game files that replace some of the "unfinished" core game content. They also contain some miscellaneous fixes to those files, when aspects of some of those assets could be considered obviously and unintentionally "bugged". Some of these fixes were previously in the Arelith Changes override, and are now found here, as well as the ar_fixeshak, instead of the new ar_changes.hak.

These base haks need laborious testing, as I have not, of course, been able to look at all 20,000 files in game to make sure they each work.

An update of note for either the base_ haks or the ar_fixes hak, for this release, is the "addition" of cloaks and blacksmith aprons to mounted characters. The appearances of these were previously invisible or non-existent, so, may now render for horse-riders who wish to wear cloaks, as well as the one person on the server I'm sure wears an apron into battle, but has avoided riding horses since it makes their body disappear. I'm sure there's someone like that around.

ar_changes

Appearances have been slightly changed so that wing models scale based on race, as helmets and weapons do. Previously, wings, and more popularly, backpacks/scabbards/quivers (which are wings), all have had the same size no matter the size of the "wearer", leading to giant backpacks on halflings and tiny quivers on half orcs.

Weapon color changes have been removed and placed into the optional "testing" layer.

ar_gfx

This is a new package, and right now has only colored quivers, which everyone so far has seemed to enjoy. This layer is required to continue using colored quivers.

ar_gfxtest

This is a new package, and currently has the new weapon colors. I'm not satisfied with these exact colors yet, although an upgrade like this can only accomplish so much without remapping the textures on weapons. Expect this to change before being published into ar_gfx officially.

Also available now for testing are higher definition barkskin, stoneskin, greater stoneskin (yeah, they're different), iceskin (mostly used on placeables and victims of cold elemental Spellswords), and shadowskin (Shadowshield, SD Shadow Evade) textures. Please try them out and let me know what you think of them.

This package also lists it's last update date and item in the top left corner when starting the game, on the "legal" "splash screen".

ar_gfxdev

This is a new package, and currently has only a new mist appearance. This mist appearance is gravity, wind, and collision sensitive, and rolls down hills, spreads across the ground, and blows out of the way for players and spells. It also shifts sutblely with area wind, as the grass and "sleeves" of players occasionally do. This mist/fog is very intensive, and in large amounts (such as fugue or the shadowplane) will cause extreme framerate issues on... any computer, so, do your best not to die if you have this package installed.

Without warning, this hak may be updated to use this new fog/mist for cloud spells, such as cloud of bewilderment, incendiary cloud, and more.

This package also lists it's last update date and item in the top right corner when starting the game, on the "legal" "splash screen".

Reporting

I am very open to suggestions, but I am also very busy, so if you want your findings and opinions heard, please ensure to do the following:

If you have any problems with any of the materials be sure to turn them off/unsubscribe, and see if the problem goes away. You can turn off the haks very easily by renaming the hak folder (hak0 for instance), renaming the haks in the userpatch.ini, or renaming the haks individually. When the game cannot find the hak where it is supposed to be by the name it is supposed to go by, it will not load. Steam may require a restart to unload subscriptions after cancellation.

If you turn off the haks and you still have the problem, it's not the overrides. I might be able to help you with it, but it's a different subject, so please do not report it as an override bug.

If the problem DOES go away by turning off the haks, please either post in the Bug Reporting section of the forums, with OVERRIDES in the title, or, post in the Bug Reporting section of my Arelith Overrides Discord. If you do anything else, like send a /dm message, send me a private message on Discord, make a post somewhere that isn't in bug reporting (like the Slanty Shanty), or otherwise, it is likely that your report will be lost and forgotten. I want to fix any issues with these packages, so please do not hesitate to contribute by reporting issues, but do so in the manner above.

If you have opinions about my overrides, perhaps you don't like them, or perhaps you have a better idea, or perhaps you have a new idea, please post in the Feedback or Suggestions forums, with OVERRIDES in the title. OR in the Feedback or Suggestions channels in my Overrides discord. Posting somewhere else, like the Slanty Shanty, or /dm , blah blah, I might not see it.

If you like my overrides, please don't post here. It is nice to see comments and be appreciated, but I am trying to keep this topic clean and precise, even while potentially making it impossible to read due to its length. Please express appreciation in the Kudos forum, or spread the news and get others to use the overrides as well.

FAQ
Where Are The Shiny EE Shader Stuff?
If you're expecting these updates to have a bunch of glossy HD models with next gen reflections and high detail polys and such, that's okay. However, that area of updating the game is still on the drawing board, even for Beamdog and other artists in the community.

Myself and many others are currently drawing up and trying on different physics based lighting systems, and working with writing shaders to handle assets in clean and high performing ways. There is not much to share yet, but I fully intend on creating and updating a lot of the game you see in Arelith with "new shiny" models and textures, so please be patient. One of the benefits of this system is that using the patch layers allows the interchangeability of "extreme" and "mild" versions of upgrades, so that lower performing computers can play Arelith too, without worrying about losing the ability to play because of the intensity of the game's art detail.

I want more heads to choose from. Can you pls?
These updates are optional asset-replacing content. Arelith still is a hak free server, so any updates I do here need to be careful not to spoil the game for those without the overrides. HD grass on one computer and normal grass of the same color on another computer is fine, but ADDING content to the game, like new heads onto the end of the head list, will show up as new heads on one computer and, a headless character on another. This is no good. Right now I am working with the "slots" of stuff already in the game. I can make changes to the Arelith areas with improvements to placeables and tiles, but I can't add new tilesets to the game allowing some people to see newly built areas, and other people to crash.

I like CEP, can you put that in your overrides?
CEP is an example of a collection of expanding content with new game assets, rather than replacements. Even the things that look like they could be replacements occasionally cannot. If there is a small panther in Arelith, designed to appear to be a house cat, for example, I cannot make an override that replaces small panthers with a new housecat model. It is not possible without changing all panthers into house cats, and thereby making normal panthers look like giant house cats.

Zwerkules has a "Facelift override" which is a replacement-only package only designed to swap original assets with upgraded ones. This could be more feasible for Arelithians, but it already is, and you're weclome to be using it. Keep in mind that if you are using it and I add any content to the Arelith overrides that use the same files, the Arelith patch haks will overwrite them. You will need to get the facelift into a hak and patch it on top of the Arelith files.

Project Q is a bit of both, with new content as well as replacement content.

Right now I am not very interested in adding much prexisting content from before EE to NWN. I made an exception with the colored quivers because it was easy and the NWNEE community is still working on a new EE way to colorize body parts in HD. The changes I have been making, so far, and intend on continuing to make, are either to be brand new content made for Arelith by Arelithians, or, small changes to base files with existing Bioware content (using a tileset treebark instead of barkskin bark for barkskin textures).

I am also not very interested in adding a bunch of "EE" high quality content from other computer games. Dropping in a bunch of extra content from the Witcher and NWN2 and Skyrim and LOTR Online and Second Life or whatever, will cause huge issues for builders trying to align "style" in NWN. With a game like Super Smash Brothers, the mix of styles and clashing looks and aspects (different humans don't look like the same species) is part of the game. NWN already suffers from a lot of style clashes due to a lot of the content added in 1.69, which, having been made by the community instead of Bioware, looks much different than the rest of NWN's content. (Purple Dragon Tower Shields).

Thanks for reading, I know my posts can be very long, but this is detailed information.
Enjoy the current overrides, I shall post again when more overrides arrive.

Terenfel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Terenfel » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:51 am

Its really great! but also, if you take requests.. would be so cool if Spells, feats and classes would show arelith changes. instead of their vanilla text

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DM Symphony » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:20 am

As said above, I take suggestions in the Suggestions thread, and in the Overrides Discord, so please refrain from posting here.

Meanwhile, I cannot change the vanilla text, it is a prewritten script of many thousdands of lines that cannot be edited in a hak or override distribution.

What would have to happen is that a 2nd script, a custom TLK file, would have to be made for Arelith, would be required to log in, and that file would contain all of the new feats and class changes. Then the core game tables for spells and classes and feats, which I can change now, would be updated to refer to that second TLK for it's text fields.

The Banned One

Post by The Banned One » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:45 pm

For maximum quality i need to download all of these or just the first one?

Arelith Graphics Overrides
Arelith Graphics Overrides (Testing)
Arelith Graphics Overrides (Development)

DM Starfish
Art Director
Art Director

Post by DM Starfish » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:37 am

April Fools Runescape Music:
https://github.com/StarfishArelith/Arel ... icOverride

Instructions:

1. Open the link above
  2. Click Code and then Download ZIP to download the filesImage
  3. Navigate to ...Documents\Neverwinter Nights\override
  4. Unzip the files into the override folder
Roleplay is a two way street.

DM Starfish
Art Director
Art Director

Post by DM Starfish » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:33 am

Arachnophobia Override:
https://github.com/StarfishArelith/Arelith-FakeSpiders

Instructions:

1. Open the link above
  3. Navigate to ...Documents\Neverwinter Nights\development
    3a. If you don't have a development folder, make one in ...Documents\Neverwinter Nights\
  4. Unzip the files into the development folder
Roleplay is a two way street.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:22 pm

DM Starfish wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:33 am

Arachnophobia Override:

Instructions:

1. Open the link above
    3a. If you don't have a development folder, make one in ...Documents\Neverwinter Nights\

What does this override do?!

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:01 pm

Waldo52 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:22 pm
DM Starfish wrote:

Arachnophobia Override:

Instructions:

1. Open the link above

What does this override do?!

I imagine it replaces spider models with non-spider models.

Za-Lord~s Guard

Post by Za-Lord~s Guard » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:08 pm

DM Starfish wrote:

Arachnophobia Override:

Instructions:

1. Open the link above

Is there any kind of preview for what the replacements look like we could see? Or is this more of an "Install at your own risk and see what happens" sort of override for the spiders

"I don't believe in fairies!" - Harry Dresden, the Dresden Files

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:50 am

As the resident spider-profile-picture-person I have bravely delved into this override. I return triumphant, with a screenshot for the curious.

Bonus pictures.

It turns out that words can hurt you after all.

(And to the poor arachnophobe who opens this thread just to be confronted with the spider profile picture, I am horribly, horribly sorry. I'd remove it from the post if I could.)

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:22 pm

Drowble Oh Seven wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:50 am

As the resident spider-profile-picture-person I have bravely delved into this override. I return triumphant, with a screenshot for the curious.

Bonus pictures.

It turns out that words can hurt you after all.

(And to the poor arachnophobe who opens this thread just to be confronted with the spider profile picture, I am horribly, horribly sorry. I'd remove it from the post if I could.)

I find it ironic that we now have an override for arachnophobes but the person giving us the best report on this override is someone with a spider avatar.
inb4 we have a forum option for forum spider avatars