Seeking the Laws of Lolth

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Maladus

Seeking the Laws of Lolth

Post by Maladus » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:08 am

Looking for someone who has this tidbit of information from days gone by. I can’t seem to find it anywhere in game, though I wouldn’t be surprised if I missed it. If anyone can relate these to me in a PM I’d be grateful, thanks.

A little fellow

Re: Seeking the Laws of Lolth

Post by A little fellow » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:22 am

Laws? Lolth is about as chaotic as it gets to my knowledge. The only law that can be thought of is the constant need to appease The Spider Queen, which usually happens at the death of another Drow, either murdered or sacrificed .. but murdering other races also has its advantages. The more you appease Lolth, the more favour you will find with her. Those that are out of favour must find favour through sacrifice or murder, or be sacrificed and murdered .. it's just an unending spiral of death, really.
Lovin' you is easy 'cause you're dutiful

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:46 am

i had them written down from the pillars that used to stand in udos, but i will have to go see if i can find them.

Durvayas may have them more accessible.
Yes I can sign

flower

Post by flower » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:59 am

Just hit google it was based on her dogma all.

afreshstart

Post by afreshstart » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:31 am

At the house Fret, there is a lot of written IIRC

HinAttack
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by HinAttack » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:32 am

Did you try the Sorcere? I think there are some open books in there that speak of the history of Udos.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:36 am

Ebonstar wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:46 am
i had them written down from the pillars that used to stand in udos, but i will have to go see if i can find them.

Durvayas may have them more accessible.
Sadly, I am of no assistance in this matter. The pillar was decorated with a player made set of lolth's laws that evolved from in game traditions and long term roleplay. I don't have a copy. I think I know someone who might though. I'll get back to you all.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:07 pm

A little fellow wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:22 am
Laws? Lolth is about as chaotic as it gets to my knowledge.

Chaotically-aligned beings and institutions can have laws. "Law" when used in the context of the alignment system means something a bit more technical than how it's commonly used.

Versatile

Post by Versatile » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:34 pm

I also had some written down on another toon. I'll go searching through my notes and see if I can find anything.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:06 pm

Her Dogma is:

Fear is as strong as steel, while love and respect are soft and useless. Convert or destroy nonbeliever drow. Weed out the weak and the rebellious. Destroy impugners of the faith. Sacrifice males, slaves, and those of other races who ignore the commands of Lolth or her clerics. Raise children to praise and fear Lolth, each family should produce at least one cleric to serve her. Questioning Lolth’s motives or wisdom is a sin, as is aiding nondrow against the drow, or ignoring Lolth’s commands for the sake of a lover. Revere arachnids of all kinds; those who kill or mistreat a spider must die.

EnigmaticSpirit
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by EnigmaticSpirit » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:46 pm

Let us also remember there's a lot more to a religion than the written dogma.

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:10 pm

Well reciting those laws is part of the initiation rites for the temple, so knowing them is kind of important.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:44 am

I know those were the laws posted inside Udos. So I assume when people say laws that's what they mean.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:48 am

http://arelith.com/ea/index.php/The_Eig ... ned_Spider

There's quite a lot of other old Udos documents on the Encyclopedia Arelithica.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:25 am

Create new ones.

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:18 am

Is the despot with endless laws, who doesn't follow them yet expects her subjects to follow, not chaotic? The strictest examples of regimes do not follow their own rules, yet still enforce them.
EDIT: Make something illegal (like enslaving other Drow) and do it
20 RPR GANG

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:26 am

Since I happen to have a mod from 2009 lying around...

Code: Select all

switch (random)
  {
    case 0:
      sMessage = "Lolth's Favor. We have it. We were and remain Her first children above even you. Where you must strive and endeavor to follow Her way, we ARE Her way. Be as we and perhaps she will smile upon you. A venom dripping fanged toothed smile! [laughter]";
      break;
    case 1:
      sMessage = "We are without doubt. We serve the Goddess with strength of conviction and unbreakable will. We do naut sympathize or falter in our duties. We do as we must, without remorse, knowing full well the possible consequences and all that we might risk in Her name. We have Faith.";
      break;
    case 2:
      sMessage = "Webs. Elegant and fragile they may seem from without. But from within they are labyrinthian and terrifyingly strong! We spinn our webs well to entice and ensnare. Layer upon layer we build, always adapting themm to the changes Chaos offers, ready to abandon them wholly and start anew if we must. But never are we simple or direct. Each web we spin is unique and deadly!";
      break;
    case 3:
      sMessage = "Patience. We hang silently in our webs, sometimes waiting ages without moving at all. We seem still. The web does naut tremor or betray our presence in any way. But inside we are alive with venom! It seethes within us building up over even years long tim of anger and rage. But we are patient. We know how good it will be when we sink our fangs in and fill them up with our burning!";
      break;
    case 4:
      sMessage = "Power. We are mighty because we are balanced. We have strength, cunning, and grace all in equal measure no one overwhelming the others. You can never be as perfect as we are but you must try, for the Goddess will accept nauthing less. Strength of arms, a mind full of deceits, and silent feet treading gracefully through the shadows. An excess or lack of any is weakness.";
      break;
    case 5:
      sMessage = "Emotions. We show none. We are cold and purposeful in all we do. We face battle without fear, but just as well and efficently do we retreat so that we may return to strike once more. Rage might fill our thoughts. Hate might pound in our blood. But you will never see it. We will never let you see that deep.";
      break;
    case 6:
      sMessage = "Family. Mother rejoice as your offspring devour one another! Only the strongest and the most cunning should be tolerated to live, for only they have any chance of satisfying your own hunger one day!";
      break;
    case 7:
      sMessage = "Males. Males are weak. Their emotions and their lack of control over their instincts make them so. We sit in our webs and they are drawn to our dark beauty. Fatalistic they are for they know full well that we will destroy and devour them. Nevertheless they come to us and beg us for our favors. We take our pleasures, and then feast upon them!";
      break;
  }
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:21 pm

Mith for the win
Yes I can sign

Oh Jinkies, I Cant See Without My Glasses

Post by Oh Jinkies, I Cant See Without My Glasses » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:04 am

"Males. Males are weak. Their emotions and their lack of control over their instincts make them so."
I love this line, it really shows how upside down the entire Drow culture is. Stereotypically, it's always the women who are considered the emotion-filled ones and they lack control over those emotions and here come the Drow and basically make them into glorified man-slaves, who are still miles above regular slaves. It's such a strange power-struggle, especially if a male happens to somehow become a person of power in Drow society. A lot of good RP opportunities there.

flower

Post by flower » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:51 am

There is no such thing like drow society in Andunor right now, haha :)

Xanos950

Post by Xanos950 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:23 am

flower wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:51 am
Things are getting better now that people stopped being heretics for the lulzs.

Don't worry, we're going to Make Andunor Great Again! ... one of these days.

flower

Post by flower » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:42 am

Xanos950 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:23 am
flower wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:51 am
Things are getting better now that people stopped being heretics for the lulzs.

Don't worry, we're going to Make Andunor Great Again! ... one of these days.
I would just like if you were right. Drow society is the centre where drow rp spins around, regardless of deity actually.

However so far despite sheer numbers, there is no significant person standing out for a leadership, i have not met any sign of wish for any coordinated play, only fractioned individuals or mini-groups. Most quaters, estates in whole city are held by non drow, which also does not help a lot to further any attempts to unite population :D

It got into the point, any time any of my Eilsitraeens talk to their surface contacts and mention drow/drow factions in Andunor those guys from surface laugh them out and my characters get to feel ashamed lol.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:33 pm

flower wrote:i have not met any sign of wish for any coordinated play, only fractioned individuals or mini-groups. Most quaters, estates in whole city are held by non drow, which also does not help a lot to further any attempts to unite population
If I didn't know better I'd say you just described a society of Lolthites.

flower

Post by flower » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:03 pm

Dr. B wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:33 pm
flower wrote:i have not met any sign of wish for any coordinated play, only fractioned individuals or mini-groups. Most quaters, estates in whole city are held by non drow, which also does not help a lot to further any attempts to unite population
If I didn't know better I'd say you just described a society of Lolthites.
And you would be wrong, because even traditional society in books is strickly community tied together fighting off any outsider (non drow). Outsiders first, heretics second, even if houses fight each other they would follow that pattern, sadly never to be seen to be done by players here.

There are tens of new drow characters, but they never sticked more than few days....no wonder because new player makes a new drow, joins the game, encounters this:

1) no drow faction existing (least not on public)
2) no racial related feature
3) drow being killed in hub openly by non drow and no drow lifting a brow
4) no overall drow community, only small bands, often dependant on non drow participiants
5) after few days, often bossed over by some higher level drow
6) and even if all of this did not také their desire to play drow, they die few times to the spawns (not knowing server) logging and not playing again

When you make a new drow, you get a feeling like when playing an elf in cordor.

afreshstart

Post by afreshstart » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:15 pm

There are several drow factions I'm aware of, and I know 2 cases of non-drow getting killled because of giving trouble to drow in the last 3 days. So I think you are a bit exaggerating :D