Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

204 867 5309

Re: Seeking the Laws of Lolth

Post by 204 867 5309 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:16 pm

flower wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:03 pm
Dr. B wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:33 pm
flower wrote:i have not met any sign of wish for any coordinated play, only fractioned individuals or mini-groups. Most quaters, estates in whole city are held by non drow, which also does not help a lot to further any attempts to unite population
If I didn't know better I'd say you just described a society of Lolthites.
And you would be wrong, because even traditional society in books is strickly community tied together fighting off any outsider (non drow). Outsiders first, heretics second, even if houses fight each other they would follow that pattern, sadly never to be seen to be done by players here.

There are tens of new drow characters, but they never sticked more than few days....no wonder because new player makes a new drow, joins the game, encounters this:

1) no drow faction existing (least not on public)
2) no racial related feature
3) drow being killed in hub openly by non drow and no drow lifting a brow
4) no overall drow community, only small bands, often dependant on non drow participiants
5) after few days, often bossed over by some higher level drow
6) and even if all of this did not také their desire to play drow, they die few times to the spawns (not knowing server) logging and not playing again

When you make a new drow, you get a feeling like when playing an elf in cordor.
Sadly what flower has said is true...
Last edited by 204 867 5309 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:44 pm

That is why I dont play a drow on arelith anymore. That list flower gives sums it up. And no matter how much rp you put in it. The drow apparently can't come on top.

EnigmaticSpirit
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by EnigmaticSpirit » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:12 pm

Oh come on, seriously? We have a temple that we're beginning to rebuild and a newly formed Lolthite house.

There is a very good reason the RP is happening behind closed doors. But you'd need to log on and make a determined effort to find out why. It's entirely necessary. Regrettable, but necessary.

afreshstart

Post by afreshstart » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:59 pm

This thread has been pretty much derailed, but please do not misinform people. Decent drow RP and factions exist. Drow aren't the underdog that no-one takes seriously. It's true currnetly no-one is raiding surface etc, so it's normal surface player aren't aware what drow up to. But just because you aren't involved or aware of something it doesn't mean it's not there.

flower

Post by flower » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:32 pm

afreshstart wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:59 pm
This thread has been pretty much derailed, but please do not misinform people. Decent drow RP and factions exist. Drow aren't the underdog that no-one takes seriously. It's true currnetly no-one is raiding surface etc, so it's normal surface player aren't aware what drow up to. But just because you aren't involved or aware of something it doesn't mean it's not there.
There are many people who play daily in UD now and in past weeks on several characters. And i in no way meant only raiding the surface. The surfacers are pretty well aware of state the drow affairs are in the game, thats why laugh at them.

And yes, role playing behind closed doors will for sure do a lot to keep new players ig. But anyway, it is right of everyone to have different oppinion. But one fact stays. Every day there are few new drow characters, most will never last more than 2-3 days,m or simple disappear within a week. Compared to other races, whom mostly stay around, obviously something is not working.

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:39 pm

Having played 3-4 drow and various slaves...half the problem is if you are not X race....it is Hell to find any RP, the drow will rarely look at you let alone talk to you even if you approach them, the others want to enslave you almost instantly, which for many isn't that much fun. New drow also struggle as unless your building into a current house, your a nobody and rarely are they addressed by current drow.

When I spoke to a Drow OOC once on why she shut out my slave, the base response I got was that she didn't like slaves so ICly wouldn't talk to them, well thats all good and fun for you...but FYI...this is why players aren't sticking around, we can go to the surface, make literally any race and have more inclusion then we do down there. Thats what needs to change.

flower

Post by flower » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:56 pm

Gods_Kill_People wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:39 pm
Having played 3-4 drow and various slaves...half the problem is if you are not X race....it is Hell to find any RP, the drow will rarely look at you let alone talk to you even if you approach them, the others want to enslave you almost instantly, which for many isn't that much fun. New drow also struggle as unless your building into a current house, your a nobody and rarely are they addressed by current drow.

When I spoke to a Drow OOC once on why she shut out my slave, the base response I got was that she didn't like slaves so ICly wouldn't talk to them, well thats all good and fun for you...but FYI...this is why players aren't sticking around, we can go to the surface, make literally any race and have more inclusion then we do down there. Thats what needs to change.
For the new drow, there is big issue of non existent public structure and stuff. You come, find out a human rules both districts, all major persons in power are non drow, if there is some community, it is faction / house centered. No thing like guards or anything to pick up fresh meat and give them back up. Most people make a drow to role play with drow, not to spend lifetime of their character in human like faction. The times a bit changed, in major grandscheme drow mean nothing right now :D (you know, they got themselves there by own doing, so deserve that).

There aren't many opportunities for, for example, a male drow warrior. You can join a house, and endure all political crap, or....well, there is no "or". And what is funny, when some forming drow faction tries to change that, other drow simple backstab them and hand things over to non drow. This is temporary thing, least i hope, question is how long it will last.

PS: I also don't like to role play with slaves. First i do not like slavery as player, and second, slaves tend to do silly things, like refusing to being help, freed, and so on. I remember too well how friend saved elf from Uders to be bullied in tells by angry player of elf, shouting at him he "wants" to become slave and that he ruined his fun by rping his character.

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:07 pm

Some people want to play slaves...and thats fine, simply asking OOC if they want to be rescued or want to play the slavery out can save that hassle.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:32 pm

I think there'd be more drow players if every thread that even so much as mentioned the underdark didn't turn into n offputting spot-the-vegan-esque career drow 'this is how the underdark SHOULD be why aren't there more drow' irony-fest.

I've been turned off of playing drow by the 'nobody is doing the UD right, how I think it should be played' attitude that I've seen coming off of drow players for the better part of a decade than by how 'hard' drow rp allegedly is. (It isn't)
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:48 pm

The topic here has been answered, and most everything past that point has almost nothing to do with the in game laws of Lolth, but rather the out of character opinions on drow roleplay.

Can this be locked now?
Plays as the monster in your closet

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:01 am

I’ll allow it.

Capt.shadow

Post by Capt.shadow » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:31 am

the laws of lolth.
offt i had to keep rewritting them for folk but there was abase few ground rules that carry on to this day, should be on or two folk kicking around that can explian it IG