Shifters and druid requirement

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Cerk Evermoore

Shifters and druid requirement

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:45 pm

Why do shifters have to be druids pre-requisite? Feels like this class has some great potential for RP but it is lost in the fact the characters roots are in a neutral nature lover.

Nitro

Re: Shifters and druid requirement

Post by Nitro » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:47 am

Blame Bioware, in the P&P their requirements are:
Feats: Alertness , Endurance

Spells: Able to cast 3rd-level spells.
Special: Alternate Form—must either know polymorph self or have a natural alternate form, alter self, polymorph self, shapechange, or wild shape ability.
But I'm guessing coding the prerequisite of a specific spell was too much of a bother, so they just lumped it with druids wildshape.

Sidenote, it's a shame Shifters can't benefit from the reduced requirements for dragonshape.

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:49 am

this is something that should be able to be fixed since EE is making the classes editable

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

Rags

Post by Rags » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:22 am

Could be fixed now with a server side override, like Arcane Archer.

Fallout

Post by Fallout » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:26 am

Nitro wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:47 am
Sidenote, it's a shame Shifters can't benefit from the reduced requirements for dragonshape.
I am pretty sure the guy who recreated new Druids with 25 WIS bonus gift for DS feat mentioned that is same for the Shifters, could have it somewhere in PM, would be nice to get it confirmed from DEVs or DMs about this again however?

Roketter

Post by Roketter » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:19 pm

All current shifters are druids too so there is no practical difference. Also the feats wisdom requeriment was modified so in the hypotetical of non druid shifter it should work just as well.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:44 pm

They couldn't get it to work on levelup selection, so they put the lowered feat avaiable on talking to a certain NPC if memory serves, but that NPC will only give it to you if you have enough druid levels for it.

EDIT: Found the quote:
DM Spyre wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:32 am
Druid needs 25 levels of Druid and base 25 Wisdom. So no, shifter would not gain the same as they would not meet the prerequisite.

Roketter

Post by Roketter » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:43 pm

Oh i was wrong then!

PresidentCthulhu
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by PresidentCthulhu » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:45 am

Hello,
I know it is only slightly on topic, but considering I have played a shifter up into its late 20s on Arelith I feel obliged to write in for your benefit:
In its current state don’t create a shifter. You will feel VERY underpowered (because you really will be miles worse than any player literally). Even if someone is heavily RP focused this is relevant, because it will effect your RP too. You would be the guy who can be beaten up by everyone, be it monsters or players.

I think the reason the class is in this state is fixing it would require extensive work and there are usually more interesting projects to work on that benefit more players.

Just my 2cents.
Your friendly neighborhood eldritch horror

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:02 pm

If anything I do agree that unlocking Shifter for level 8 sorc/level 7 wizard (aka when they get polymorph), and changing some of the feat reqs would be interesting. But that'd still require haks to edit the feat descriptions to be user friendly.
:)

Rags

Post by Rags » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:52 pm

I'd like to see their poopy forms made less poopy, and given niche roles and uses. Their spell-like abilities could be customized, too. Could even be given actual spells; opening up forms that are healers, or pesudo-mages.

All of that done through polymorph.2da, server side, and more, depending on how specific you want to get!

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:14 pm

PresidentCthulhu wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:45 am

I think the reason the class is in this state is fixing it would require extensive work and there are usually more interesting projects to work on that benefit more players.

Just my 2cents.
I've gotten the sense from playing on many PWs that Shifters are always in a weird place where having a few around is cool but you don't want too many or things get stupid fast. So they will get neglected because the devs don't actually want to encourage too many people to actually play them.

Still there is lots of potential there. Especially if one could actually shift into the different playable races as well as monsters for spying and infiltration purposes.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:09 pm

Tourmaline wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:14 pm
PresidentCthulhu wrote:

Just my 2cents.
Still there is lots of potential there. Especially if one could actually shift into the different playable races as well as monsters for spying and infiltration purposes.
Honestly, just put shifters back on a 5% roll and give them access to the rakshasa style shape-shifting into each of the base races and they get something worthwhile going for them. The dragonshape nerf screwed shifters over hard since they can't actually benefit from the reduced requirements, and dragonshape was basically the only viable endgame shape for them.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:46 am

Nitro wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:09 pm
Tourmaline wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:14 pm
PresidentCthulhu wrote:

Just my 2cents.
Honestly, just put shifters back on a 5% roll and give them access to the rakshasa style shape-shifting into each of the base races and they get something worthwhile going for them. The dragonshape nerf screwed shifters over hard since they can't actually benefit from the reduced requirements, and dragonshape was basically the only viable endgame shape for them.
nerfing shifter was my plan all along
:)