Maybe its time for an UD server again?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

slight_homicide

Maybe its time for an UD server again?

Post by slight_homicide » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:26 pm

As i'm writing this I am unable to log on due to the fact that there are 97/96 people online....
When I first started playing the UD had it's own server, which I'll admit wasn't always that full but now that numbers apparently are way up it might be a necessary adjustment so that more people can play.
"Can we please have an event that doesn't start at 2 am?" -Every Australian...ever.

Black Wendigo

Re: Maybe its time for an UD server again?

Post by Black Wendigo » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:26 pm

IF the trend continues, then yes I would like to see a UD sever eventually.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:19 pm

Certainly we're looking at splittiing servers again, but the first thing I am considering is how to arrange resources so that the 3 servers are equally popular. There are things in the works!

Overall it is better design to see them all hitting similar numbers before splitting again. Also it is still early days with EE, so lets see where our numbers go.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:57 pm

Agreed, a separate UD would be nice again, but I would say at least wait three months after the EE launch so player counts go beyond the initial influx
Yes I can sign

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:31 am

An additional server would help with things, but I'm all for making sure that there are an equal number of players across all servers. Right now Cities/Planes is getting slammed because it's the main server due to most people starting their characters there. It's not immediately clear that Distant Shores is also a starter area based on the Server List alone.

DM Always This Late

Post by DM Always This Late » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:17 am

Cities is usually at the top of the list of servers, anyone joining the Multiplayer will see that and probably at least pop in to see 'why' it's got so much traffic. Either way! I'm sure we'll come up with a solution! But if you see the server cap getting near the top and you can think of a good RP reason to shift to surface server for example that would be helpful! The biggest cases I can think of are just like small talk etc, maybe go for a walk and talk? A walk that happens to go towards the surface server XD I wouldn't stress about it a lot just something that would be great to keep in mind so we can keep traffic flowing!
I loved and I loved and I lost you... And it hurt like hell.

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:30 pm

Irongron wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:19 pm
Certainly we're looking at splittiing servers again, but the first thing I am considering is how to arrange resources so that the 3 servers are equally popular. There are things in the works!
I'm sure someone else has already had this idea, but now that we have a dedicated "Distant Shores" server - perhaps shift all of the off-Arelith zones onto it? The boat system, Sencliff, Sibayad, all the dungeons that require seafaring to reach, etc. It would be, at the very least, thematically appropriate to the server.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:28 pm

Cities & Planes, Surface, Archipelago.

Sounds pretty elegant.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:48 pm

Server defiantly doesn't need to go back to the days where cities had 40 people and the UD had 14. So figuring out how much of the people are where is going to be important.

I think it will probably need to be looked at is what purpose is distant shores going to serve. Will it be just a starter area? If so does the server need four starter areas (Cordor, Brog, UD, and Distant Shores?) Would distant shores be better served for higher lvl content?

ForgottenBhaal

Post by ForgottenBhaal » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:50 pm

I would not shift over all the isle things to the Distant shores things. Unless you'd add some more stuff or the like.. Or some way to traverse to places more efficiently. :P

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:35 pm

or maybe have Cordor not be a starting place anymore. Distant Shores be for 1-6 then the boats would open for travel to Cordor.
Yes I can sign

wulfburk

Post by wulfburk » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:53 pm

Having distant shores just be for 1-6 is a waste of a server imo

Stratonike Silvbriga
Archamus Schelen
Demetrius Herhtov

AngelicReaper

Post by AngelicReaper » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:24 pm

Why not move the ud to distance shores?
Tree's have feelings too....

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:05 am

wulfburk wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:53 pm
Having distant shores just be for 1-6 is a waste of a server imo
wasnt thinking, I meant skal to be 1-6 as a starter and then you could get the boat to cordor once level 6.

UD could be added to the Distant Shores or rename it Archipelago and the Depths
Yes I can sign

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:03 am

Ebonstar wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:35 pm
or maybe have Cordor not be a starting place anymore. Distant Shores be for 1-6 then the boats would open for travel to Cordor.
Might help remove some of that impregnable plot armor too.

Really, something to encourage people to play on the surface more(since all the evil PCs from wharftown, and most of the evil PCs that have been created since, except the pirates, have been shunted into the UD) would be if guldorand was improved to be the next big settlement to make the surface less unipolar. There needs to be another 'superpower' on the surface, and it should be based on the surface server.

Ideally, you'd have the superpowers, and both would be good options to which new characters from distant shores could choose to go to, rather than cordor being de-facto the starter city, and requiring all the protections of such.

Another idea would be to, since we have an underferry, give the UD its own version of the isle of Skal for its new characters to get from 1-6 in if they so choose. A port of call between Andunor and Guallidurth would make perfect sense.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

nobs3
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by nobs3 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:16 pm

If player numbers grow...
But also Ud could be made more attractive as THE place for evil,: cults, trade, slavery, necromantic.... in Andunor. Combined with an spaller deeper city for drow and tribal monster race rp. Plus Ud ship system.
The two districts in Andunor could be more based on lawful/ devils vs chaotic / deamon.
(Which greater power the two drow houses serve... )
There would be np if drow and some monsters would be the exotic minority in Andunor comming up for trade and plots. ..
The current playerbase on the ud Server plus 20percent by attracting evenmore surface charakters might already be enough.
Just throwing in an idea.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:25 pm

nobs3 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:16 pm
If player numbers grow...
But also Ud could be made more attractive as THE place for evil,: cults, trade, slavery, necromantic.... in Andunor. Combined with an spaller deeper city for drow and tribal monster race rp. Plus Ud ship system.
The two districts in Andunor could be more based on lawful/ devils vs chaotic / deamon.
(Which greater power the two drow houses serve... )
There would be np if drow and some monsters would be the exotic minority in Andunor comming up for trade and plots. ..
The current playerbase on the ud Server plus 20percent by attracting evenmore surface charakters might already be enough.
Just throwing in an idea.
although I would love to see another area created in the UD thats totally drow in theme and all, the first thing that would pop up would be its another Udos, and thats not what the plan should be
Yes I can sign

nobs3
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by nobs3 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:15 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:25 pm
although I would love to see another area created in the UD thats totally drow in theme and all, the first thing that would pop up would be its another Udos, and thats not what the plan should be
I imagine something like a mad max version. Some intact buildings of a former drow city surrounded by ruins, caves, tents/huts...
Ruined drow city and tribal inhabited suburbs both with a own meeting hall... And so on.

Because there would also be Andunor all would have the choice where to live and rp.

What I like about the idea is what it would mean for Andunor. You could get rid of some problems that always forced to make compromices; e.g. attracting more outcasts or not (by a human NPC run slave guild, temple of Versharoon, giving Outcats an own district...) .

But as I said: that are just some quick thoughts...

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:56 am

nobs3 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:15 pm
Ebonstar wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:25 pm
I imagine something like a mad max version. Some intact buildings of a former drow city surrounded by ruins, caves, tents/huts...
Ruined drow city and tribal inhabited suburbs both with a own meeting hall... And so on.

Because there would also be Andunor all would have the choice where to live and rp.

What I like about the idea is what it would mean for Andunor. You could get rid of some problems that always forced to make compromices; e.g. attracting more outcasts or not (by a human NPC run slave guild, temple of Versharoon, giving Outcats an own district...) .

But as I said: that are just some quick thoughts...
yes but drow wouldnt let it stay ruined, they would rebuild it. actually what you described is the old Udos Pittown mix almost
Yes I can sign

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:03 am

I still have no idea after all the poundings and lost matrons the Freth and Claddoth took over the years how they ever had anyone left to be in power to run any city.

If player numbers are enough a new city would be great but I don't think by default it should be an evil city, I mean Cordor isn't by default a good city. Many an evil person has ruled that place, some just more open than others.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:01 am

What? Andunor is an evil city.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:43 am

Sab1 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:03 am
I still have no idea after all the poundings and lost matrons the Freth and Claddoth took over the years how they ever had anyone left to be in power to run any city.

If player numbers are enough a new city would be great but I don't think by default it should be an evil city, I mean Cordor isn't by default a good city. Many an evil person has ruled that place, some just more open than others.
a new UD city would be on the evil side
Yes I can sign

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:56 pm

It was meant for the suggestion that distant shores becomes a place of evil people. Another city in the UD seems like overkill unless the UD population really takes off.

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:32 pm

I do not think cities should ever be given an alignment. Cities are not living things that make conscious moral decisions, but the people who live there.
Please don't feed my sister.

Leshpar

Post by Leshpar » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:08 pm

I really dislike the idea of further segregating monster race players. If anything I think the factions (andunor and Cordor) should be more exclusive. Right now anyone from Cordor can walk into Andunor seemingly without punishment. If someone like a gnoll or kobold tries to walk into Cordor not only would the dms be upset (rightfully) they would be killed on sight. In fact I've seen drow outright protect surface humans from those of us who were not so welcoming as I understood the rp should be.

I think things like this are why the cities server is more popular than surface. More interaction with more differing people.

Maybe the solution would be the opposite of what I posted above. Maybe we could have a ceasefire or something where those of us who are known Underdarkers could enter the surface and interact with them without immediate threat of death.