EE: I can't find my old characters

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Bashagain
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

EE: I can't find my old characters

Post by Bashagain » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:02 am

EE looks fantastic! There are a lot of activities, and I see a bunch of players I've never seen before! I made a new character with the new game, and I'm excited to play it.

Now, the problem:
I do not see any of my characters from 1.69.

I couldn't find THE "EE" folder or any EE folder containing cdkey.ini, so I just pasted the copy of my original 1.69 nwncdkey.ini in every sub-folder under "Beamdog Library" folder.

Problem persisted. I suppose the source of the problem could be that I logged on with account name, "Aristotlus" instead of "Bashagain." Unlike the old 1.69, I do not see the place to change my account name for EE.

Any ideas? I think my troubles are not unique. I do not have Steam. I preordered my EE directly from Beamdog many months ago.
"Drider-man, with Great Smite cometh Great Responsibility to SMITE THEE!!!" - Erik Silverarms, in The Underdark. Circa AR 63

PinataPlethora

Re: EE: I can't find my old characters

Post by PinataPlethora » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:08 am

Go to your Documents folder, and look for a Neverwinter Nights folder. The files should be in there.

Bashagain
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Bashagain » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:16 am

LOL! Thanks man.

I also had to copy and replace the existing nwnplayer.ini to load up all my characters.
"Drider-man, with Great Smite cometh Great Responsibility to SMITE THEE!!!" - Erik Silverarms, in The Underdark. Circa AR 63

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:48 am

And thus, bashagain is backagain.
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

Lost in the dark

Post by Lost in the dark » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:43 pm

Rather than starting a fresh thread I am also struggling with this. I bought Enhanced NWN on Steam (and looks very cool), copied my old NWN CDkeys to the cdkey folder in Documents but still no old characters bought back! I am sure I am not doing something incredibly simple but right now I'm stumped! Help would be most welcomed.

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:55 pm

Just checked, your playername "Lost in the dark" is listed in the 2da file and the bics are still in the old vault. So this means you either used a different playername, check the case sensitivity on it. Or you've put the nwncdkey.ini in the wrong folder or it's a different cdkey then were the account is listed on.

Tryn Dralar

Post by Tryn Dralar » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:15 pm

a little more on this as I had issues to but the link also had some pictorial guides that may help.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17479

Lost in the dark

Post by Lost in the dark » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:28 pm

Many thanks but sadly still struggling. Points in no particular order

1. I added my old NWN cdkey's to a file in Documents/Neverwinter Nights and then cdkey. There was no ini suffix.

2. When I log on to EE there is no longer a Username and Password Screen so unable to check if I have put a CAPs key in the wrong place.

3. No ini files to check so unable to see a "Profile" File to look within.

4. No ini files showing in the Original NWN

I am using Windows 10 if that makes a difference and have made no changes to the default settings when downloaded from Steam.

What am I doing wrong?

Tryn Dralar

Post by Tryn Dralar » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:49 pm

my files didn't actually have .ini on them either but so long as your dealing with the nwnplayer file.

Also, I didn't actually add my old nwn cd keys inside my new one. I just opened the new nwn folder from documents then pasted it there.

Lost in the dark

Post by Lost in the dark » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:57 pm

Thanks Tryn and progress of a sort. I can now see all my characters but when I try to log on with an old character it tells me "Invalid Character- player login refused. You aren't allowed to use that character".

I guess this means I must have mistyped the Playername but any idea how I can now correct this as no Playername and password now shows?

Tryn Dralar

Post by Tryn Dralar » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:15 pm

so inside your EE folder, in the nwnplayer file, scroll down to [profile] ....... you do not have a line that says, Player name: (player name here) under that anywhere?

Lost in the dark

Post by Lost in the dark » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:46 pm

Not that I can see. EE seems to be in two places. One is the documents/Neverwinter Nights

The Other is in c/program files/Steam/Steamapps/Common/Neverwinter Nights

Neither has anything showing Profile (not in the sub folders and I think I checked them all).

cptcuddlepants

Post by cptcuddlepants » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:50 pm

Lost in the dark wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:46 pm
One is the documents/Neverwinter Nights
This is the one you want.

You'll see a bunch of folders (ambiet, database, dmvault, hak, etc etc) and then some files that end in .ini

Edit nwnplayer.ini with Notepad, and scroll down until you see a section called [Profile]. The last line in that section should say, "Player Name =" and it should be right above [Trap Colors].
When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table.

Get Jad's portrait here!

Lost in the dark

Post by Lost in the dark » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:55 pm

Got it .... but the player name already reads correctly with all caps correct so any ideas why the no entry?

And the crash reads "Unhandled Entry"

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:46 pm

just erase the player name there and save the file then try without all caps when you try and sign in to the game
Yes I can sign

Lost in the dark

Post by Lost in the dark » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:15 am

Well all the characters are in the Vault and it now asks me for a Playername when I log in ...... but it still crashes when I try and load an old PC? ANy other ideas on what to try?

Tryn Dralar

Post by Tryn Dralar » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:14 am

This is something I wont know anything about sorry bud. I do have one character in my vault I made not to awful long ago
that I crash with as soon as the game loads up. was going to delete it but getting that "illegal character you cant play that one" message or something like that. *Shrugs*

Lost in the dark

Post by Lost in the dark » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:47 pm

Thanks anyway Tryn. Anyone else got ideas on what to try?

Quick update: Even with a newly created PC it is saying "Invalid Character - player login refused. You aren't allowed to use that character"

Lost in the dark

Post by Lost in the dark » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:20 am

A little bump!

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:51 am

Your characters are transferred correctly now. But if you crash, that means that, like me, you probably have Windows + an Intel graphics card which causes a lot of areas to crash your client. I've just reset all character locations for you in the database, to hopefully ensure you can at least login with them now. But travelling to certain areas will still crash you, until Beamdog fixes this.

Lost in the dark

Post by Lost in the dark » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:34 am

Hmm. Well when I logged in under the Lost in the Dark ID it goes to the initial start up area but when I try and portal it then tells me "Invalid Character - player login refused. You aren't allowed to use that character".

I then tried to use a different playername (LITD) and the game tries to load the last area I was in (Bendir Dale) but just freezes.

Are these two separate issues?

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:45 am

Yep, second one is a crashing issue in the NWN Client, Beamdog is working to fix that one.

Lord Messif

Post by Lord Messif » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:37 am

Somehow it seems i'm missing my RPR

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:52 am

Looks like you haven't logged into Arelith yet with any of your old chars from account "Lord Messif". Try that and it should be ported.

Lost in the dark

Post by Lost in the dark » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:29 pm

Well with a bit more playing I seem unable to log in and play with any character new or imported on any log in except the one created when I first played EE. For the rest the screen either freezes or more regularly told they are an Invalid Character. Tried new character creation on both Lost in the dark and LITD and both say Invalid.

Therefore not sure if any of this counts as logging on properly (outside the starting area) with the original Playername but no idea what can be done to fix this?

Am I doomed until Beamdog find a fix?