The Secret Life of Gnomes - Revive the Gnomish RP!

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Petrifictus

The Secret Life of Gnomes - Revive the Gnomish RP!

Post by Petrifictus » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:44 am

Hey, while playing as gnome Wotan Woodberry and with his quest to build a place for his kin, I've seen how badly low our numbers have become compared to the other races since the ending of the Spriggan War. Some of the gnomes have either sailed away, lost in action or died. If this keep up, there wont be any gnomes left in the isle and few of us who're still left would hate to see gnomish roleplay to die off.

I had couple talks with the fellow roleplayers and time to time comes up the point that there's not much knowledge for example about the Forgotten Folks compared to the more favoured humans, elves or other earthkins, halflings and dwarves.

Thought to post the link to inspire people to start or at least try to roleplay as gnome.
http://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/ra ... omes.shtml

Do the Arelith the favour and take part to revive the Gnomish Roleplay!
https://petrifications.deviantart.com/
Gnome Wotan Woodberry - (Shelved)
Goblin Toymaker Karma - (Rolled)
Ogre Karstaag da Main Man - (Active)

If Valor Were Inches
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: The Secret Life of Gnomes - Revive the Gnomish RP!

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:57 am

I've never heard of river or arcane gnomes. This might be home-brewed.

Races of Stone was a supplement book for 3.5 if I recall, (This is where the likes of Sheyanna Flaxenstrand come from) and is closer to being official, being made by Wizards of the Coast.

http://files.full-hyperion.nl/dnd/DnD%2 ... 0Stone.pdf. The first chapter is on dwarves, so stomach or skip through it, then the second is on glorious gnomes.

Xanos950

Post by Xanos950 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:54 pm

Maybe. If the EE gives them a facelift from Monstrous Creatures to actual Humanoids with proper scaled limbs.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:58 pm

The who?

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:35 pm

Or just do as the exceptionally wonderful, amazingly intelligent, superbly talented, nigh perfect being known as If Valor Were Inches is doing and play a dwarf instead of a gnome!

Wait...

If Valor Were Inches does not play dwarves and only plays gnomes...and hin. No dwarves.

Huh.

Or just do /NOT/ do as the exceptionally crotchety, amazingly heinous, superbly demented, nigh perfect wretch known as If Valor Were Inches is doing and play a gnome instead of a dwarf!

:)

(and yes, Arch-Nemesis, I believe I shall claim victory for all dwarves with this post of such brilliance that even the gnomes feel their beards growing longer)

In all seriousness though, my knowledge of gnomes really is pretty limited as compared to elves and dwarves, but that reference that If Valor Were Inches provided is one I read myself (compliments of said arch-nemesis) and it is a shame gnomes are so under-represented. Their culture and the like would be pretty cool to see expanded upon more ICly.

Seeing all of the gnomes about during the Spriggan event was fun and I hope they have a revival!

Hammerwell

Post by Hammerwell » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:00 pm

Hey, I'm not complaining. I'm used to having the only gnome character on entire servers. But I do agree that it's a very unique role to try playing, and that more people should try it out. Just no Tinkers please (I mean the names-the-sizes-of-book ones that are almost as bad as Kender).

If even possible on Arelith (doubt it) try a Zilargo gnome (portal accident?). You want deadly spies, assassins and master manipulators? Go check out the Zil gnomes.

azrael_athing

Post by azrael_athing » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:41 pm

I personally do not agree on the statement that the Gnomen player population is on the brink of destruction, and even if I aswell favor the spreading of Gnomen knowledge to throughout the player community as well as building prospering Gnomen RP. I wouldn't say that the Gnomes are about to die out.

I can't speak for the Earthkin Alliance currently, and have no idea which Gnomes plays there, but I would say that active Gnomes in Andunor is at an all-time high.

For abit of lore-sharing there is always Races of Faerun and Races of Stone, (which I think is linked above by If Valor Were Inches, but I don't see no reason why it can not be linked a second time).
http://rpg.go-ghoti.com/Races%20of%20Faerun.pdf
http://files.full-hyperion.nl/dnd/DnD%2 ... 0Stone.pdf

And perhaps we could also use the time to highlight another problem I noticed just recently.
In game wrote: "Everyone hates Gnomes."
I am not going to argue that no-one hates Gnomes, but the statement as I came across it and reading the lore surrounding the Gnomes, this is simply not true.

All I ask for, if you want your character to hate Gnomes, have a reason to do so.

With love.
Terto Tarquin

ps. Kobolds will always have enough reasons to hate Gnomes.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:00 pm

You know what's -better- than playing a gnome?
Killing gnomes!
Join the kobolds, make your first gnome skull pole within three to five tencycles!
Remember, Praise the Dragon, and Toil Endlessly!
[This message is approved by the ministerium of Draconic Endeavors. If you do not feel the need to toil endlessly, please report yourself to your closest reeducation facility].
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:18 pm

Like almost any group, gnomes will come and go in waves. Most of the current gnomes that were around for the entirety of the spriggan event had been around for a good while and it was probably time move on (at least, I felt like it!)

The river/arcane gnomes are a thing from a Dragon Article, which is usually okay-ish to use for lore.
Hammerwell wrote:Just no Tinkers please (I mean the names-the-sizes-of-book ones
Ouch, RIP Lissa.

I will agree that Zil gnomes are cool. You probably shouldn't play one without DM approval, but you can certainly play one with the same mindset, just from elsewhere.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:25 pm

Nice read.

Had to smile when I read about hats! Yes, I remember when Ivory was introduced to Bendir, there were a lot of hat debates! We need more hat discussions, honestly. Eight pieces FTW, six pieces pfft.

And the pranks, uh. And ...

Things come and go, roleplay can be high and low. I am not pessimistic about the gnomes.

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

If Valor Were Inches

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:36 pm

I think the lack of gnomes participating in the alliance if that is what the OP is referring to is partially IC, and mostly natural slump of interest and end of character life. I've run into plenty elsewhere. You just have to do something that interests those that exist to go to whatever RP hub you find they are lacking in, but even if you don't, I don't think they will ever die.

Though they'll also never be the most popular race thanks to their wacky looks. Hopefully EE makes them look better!

azrael_athing

Post by azrael_athing » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:47 pm

If Valor Were Inches wrote:I think the lack of gnomes participating in the alliance if that is what the OP is referring to is partially IC, and mostly natural slump of interest and end of character life. I've run into plenty elsewhere. You just have to do something that interests those that exist to go to whatever RP hub you find they are lacking in, but even if you don't, I don't think they will ever die.

Though they'll also never be the most popular race thanks to their wacky looks. Hopefully EE makes them look better!
I always figured the Gnomes were supposed to look different? Given them the wrong proportions was presumably the easiest way to do this in a game as old as this, but personally I will be so dissapointed if the Gnomes will be changed to look more like the others. I'm not saying that they should look more like the way they are now, just that they still need to look different, as they are different. So different that no-one would mistake a halfling and a Gnome, one just can not do that.

Xanos950

Post by Xanos950 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:10 pm

People don't hate gnomes. People hate how gnomes look. And the only difference between a halfling and gnome is that gnomes have pointy ears.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:40 pm

I hate gnomes.

Except for Wotan.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Hammerwell

Post by Hammerwell » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:16 pm

Xerah wrote:
Hammerwell wrote:Just no Tinkers please (I mean the names-the-sizes-of-book ones
Ouch, RIP Lissa.
Lissa's a rock gnome isn't she? I was referring to these guys from Mount Nevermind, not tinkering gnomes in general xD

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:22 pm

Hammerwell wrote:
Xerah wrote:
Ouch, RIP Lissa.
Lissa's a rock gnome isn't she? I was referring to these guys from Mount Nevermind, not tinkering gnomes in general xD
This guy gnomes.

azrael_athing

Post by azrael_athing » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:37 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:I hate gnomes.

Except for Wotan.
Aslong as your character has reasons to hate Gnomes it is all fair, but I would discurage the thought for anyone to hate anything just because someone entered some mindset that you should hate whoever for whatever reason.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:46 pm

Oh, I don't hate gnomes ICly! I just have an OOC dislike of them that has no impact upon my character's beliefs or actions.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Petrifictus

Post by Petrifictus » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:24 am

Baron Saturday wrote:I hate gnomes.

Except for Wotan.
Yay. :)
Xanos950 wrote:People don't hate gnomes. People hate how gnomes look. And the only difference between a halfling and gnome is that gnomes have pointy ears.
People are just jealous about us gnomes and our good looks. :D
Never had problem with the looks. I think they're just fine. Beside Wotan gets annoyed when he's mistaken as halfling or dwarf.
https://petrifications.deviantart.com/
Gnome Wotan Woodberry - (Shelved)
Goblin Toymaker Karma - (Rolled)
Ogre Karstaag da Main Man - (Active)

Ironfoot

Post by Ironfoot » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:07 am

Answer why people rather look into other races is in title of this thread, gnome life IS PRIVATE and secret. As many gnomes there are that much are different views how to rp them but that low profile component is commom to all, for me best kept arelith secret was how much different gnomes do for arelith plots, it was that "Usual Suspects" scene and what pushed me to play one.
Numbers of gnomes are good if you ask me, maybe bit less than past year but several times more than in last several years specially with svirfneblins.

I think gnome rp is great challenge for good rp players and quite rewarding for players who are long on the server and seen all, playing one might just surprise them.

If Valor Were Inches

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:26 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:Oh, I don't hate gnomes ICly! I just have an OOC dislike of them that has no impact upon my character's beliefs or actions.
We are now enemies! No mercy!

Thanatosis

Post by Thanatosis » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:37 pm

i only play CE sharran gnome sorcerers
BegoneThoth wrote:Hardcore player here

azrael_athing

Post by azrael_athing » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:10 pm

I am slightly concerned over recent changes that was made that really does affect the Gnome community.

1st, The Turret.
Don't get me wrong I totaly adore the Turret, however it has effectively split the Gnomes into more fractions, those that live in the Grotto, and those that live by the Turret. (Also now we moved out of it, but that is beside the point, the Gnomes that formerly used to live there still excists, part from Lissa.)
This will provide a problem, if we allow these sub-groups of the community to keep the Gnomes apart, which is what I think Wotan is experiencing right now. For I meet frequently with several Gnomes, and do not see what he sees.

2nd, New deity aspects.
Not only to mention does the Gnomes lorewise have more deities then we currently seam to have players, (as the more revolutionary Gnomes attempt to introduce two more Lords and one Lady.) but also the following.
The Gnomes didn't use to have a Magic deity, for better and worse, which forced the choise between Mystra or Shar, which I actually think was favorable for the RP, for whatever the choise, the individual was still Gnome.
With the new deities in place, I am afraid fewer will be attracted to swing either of these ways, thus:
Thanatosis wrote:i only play CE sharran gnome sorcerers
This will not be happening as frequently as before.

There is also a concern over the community, as adressed above.
3rd, OOC bias
We actually might need to start a Gnome Awareness Program right away?
Baron Saturday wrote:Oh, I don't hate gnomes ICly! I just have an OOC dislike of them that has no impact upon my character's beliefs or actions.
We are starting with Baron Saturday?

With love
Terto Tarquin

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:19 pm

azrael_athing wrote:2nd, New deity aspects.
The Gnomes didn't use to have a Magic deity, for better and worse, which forced the choise between Mystra or Shar, which I actually think was favorable for the RP, for whatever the choise, the individual was still Gnome.
It was strange to not have a magic diety for a magic based race. For the record, Lissa had selected Azuth, though, RP wise, she would hold 4 of the gods in the same level (+Mystra, Gond, Garl).

The choice between those two still exists and magic is only really important at the moment if you're an enchanter.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Thanatosis

Post by Thanatosis » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:42 pm

My post was a joke/reference to a sort of/relatively infamous Abyss lord character from almost a decade ago, please don't use it as a part of your serious points because that's NOT how it's intended
BegoneThoth wrote:Hardcore player here