The Secret Life of Gnomes - Revive the Gnomish RP!

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

flower

Re: The Secret Life of Gnomes - Revive the Gnomish RP!

Post by flower » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:54 pm

A little fellow wrote:
Actions having consequences is one of the strongest examples of meaningful RP you will find on Arelith, players not enjoying the consequences of their characters actions is not a breach of the Be Nice rule, nor should any guilt be put on the people who are bringing down these consequences. Having a mentality of "Just leave us alone, who cares about the growing list of grievances against you" is in my mind a large part of the problem with some communities on Arelith that I shall not name. Because that mentality undermines RP, and leads to players avoiding consequences for their characters actions.

Perhaps not playing an evil character puts a player in a better position to hold down these properties without other characters trying to get RP out of their removal.

Ten times this. The number of people playin villains, commiting evil acts, and then complain when get smacked back, forced to carry consequences, began to complain is really annoying.

Or the attitude of villains who, when finally caught after running around killing people, and they claim ICLY "So what, kill us and we will just walk to light" is shocking.

Ad the topic. When race has no small grounds to play each other with, then their numbers not just often decline, but chances to build its community are low. Be it goblins, gnomes, or svirfneblins.

You do not need mechanical city for that, just place unique for that race who can least partially have administration of it (like whom to let in).

Ironfoot

Post by Ironfoot » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:59 pm

Grotto at least most part of it was not part of Brog as things existed BEFORE floods and only via common effort of dwarf and svirf(RPed this direction for 5 IRL years, or more) for their safety and make "connection" that was natural as svirfneblins and shield dwarfs long-time coexist in underdark like for example in underdark-town Morndivver , by lore and RP so far done on Arelith svirfneblins find more in common with such dwarfs before any other races as for gnomes they find more in common with Forest Gnomes taken their also secretive nature than with rock gnomes. Shield Dwarf in Grotto speaks of this but also says it wount touch into svirf politics to run this place as well if asked to leave-it will leave.

Regarding Brog itself, as "Master of Grotto" says its Earthkin Alliance Town and part of that alliance on Arelith, when svirf and dwarfs made alliance they agreed to this that resources and law be transfered to Brog, that be under manage of Brog ruler as part of Earthkin Alliance gnomes are in...but what this NPC also says is that svirfneblins can become citizens of Brog(and we are), therefore they can elect and be elected as rulers of the place (as much some dwarfs dislike it :D ), the earthkin dwarf-guard NPC in front of Turret doesnt discard this possibility of gnome ruler in Brog. Claiming anything else from ruler of Brog is actually breaking this alliance. Lets not also forget Brog has Hins, Stronghearts right? And that some PC Hins do live and serve under Brog banner. Its currently more earthkin place than Bendir just with majority of Dwarfs.

It is complete another story why svirfs dont put out candidate against current or any ruler there, but i wish to imply here that there was maybe 6-7 months ago RP that is well documented as outcome of many gnome common meetings but this time only with svirfneblins, on them no new direction was embraced but actually favour more into direction what is it now.

So RP was made, and previous and current svirfneblins, sometimes 2-3, sometimes like past year 14 all pursuit same RP when it comesto leadership and thats the one of current status unless is presented something what wasnt presented before, or larger threat arise.

Turret was presented maybe to develop different RP ideas of being a gnome is different from svirfneblins, but so far i noticed that rock-gnomes rather choose nomadic life being with other races as individuals on this server and dislike any leadership system being svirfs, forest or rock gnomes what often results in empty quarters in Grotto and Turret even as there is double-more players to dwell in both.
I am sure EE will change that.

Also someone mentioned "bullies from Brog", thats not a subject of this thread but I will refer it that no one tended more care of RP and caution to exile people as Brog did even when presented with arguments for it, and its to ones RP how much ground will be open for certain RP or closed on this server. Sometimes we must accept consequences of our RP even as we might not like it, before pointing fingers first question would needed to be why I am exiled? What to change to be unexile?
If its something else in question i would suggest report to DMs who i am certain would react on such claims right away.

A little fellow

Post by A little fellow » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:23 pm

Eternally_Faithful wrote:Brog currently leads Guldorand, Brog, the Grotto and Darrowdeep, Myon is elves only (which I don't like to begin with) and Bendir which I have always been willing to bend a bit on (which for note is the only actual reason Katie isn't exiled from Bendir.)
Brogendenstein having Guldorand as a vassal was a matter that became an eventuality after over a years worth of RP with its leadership and players. And it is /not/ something that will last forever, it should never be something that will last forever.

Darrowdeep was seized also through RP means, and IG coin was paid for it. And though both areas are under Brogs banner, they have their own leadership, which is seldom overlooked by Brogendenstein.

I agree it is good to bend RP in some instances, but at some point a line must be drawn. At the end of the day Brogendenstein is a Dwarven Hall, and Dwarfs have hard to earn trust. A Svirfneblin recently got the okay to join it's militia, because it makes sense .. Svirfs and Dwarfs are alike, and they are linked via the elevator to and from the Grotto. Gnomes are welcome to be a part of Brogendenstein, but it is not the onus of the settlement and it's people to facilitate Rock Gnome, or Elven RP .. it is the onus of the Gnome, or Elf, to get a taste of Dwarf RP when in a Dwarven setting.
Lovin' you is easy 'cause you're dutiful

If Valor Were Inches
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:37 pm

A little fellow wrote:
Eternally_Faithful wrote:Brog currently leads Guldorand, Brog, the Grotto and Darrowdeep, Myon is elves only (which I don't like to begin with) and Bendir which I have always been willing to bend a bit on (which for note is the only actual reason Katie isn't exiled from Bendir.)
Brogendenstein having Guldorand as a vassal was a matter that became an eventuality after over a years worth of RP with its leadership and players. And it is /not/ something that will last forever, it should never be something that will last forever.

Darrowdeep was seized also through RP means, and IG coin was paid for it. And though both areas are under Brogs banner, they have their own leadership, which is seldom overlooked by Brogendenstein.

I agree it is good to bend RP in some instances, but at some point a line must be drawn. At the end of the day Brogendenstein is a Dwarven Hall, and Dwarfs have hard to earn trust. A Svirfneblin recently got the okay to join it's militia, because it makes sense .. Svirfs and Dwarfs are alike, and they are linked via the elevator to and from the Grotto. Gnomes are welcome to be a part of Brogendenstein, but it is not the onus of the settlement and it's people to facilitate Rock Gnome, or Elven RP .. it is the onus of the Gnome, or Elf, to get a taste of Dwarf RP when in a Dwarven setting.
Very much agreed with ALF's last paragraph.

Also, Darrowdeep goes up for sale every five years, allowing someone new to have it. That mechanic allows a naturally shifting power dynamic.

Years ago, there was a point where there was hin influence in every single settlement, and another point where Bendir had two vassals, Wharftown and Guldorand. Power shifts all the time. Present time also isn't the first time Guldorand was vassaled to Brog.

azrael_athing

Post by azrael_athing » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:18 pm

Ironfoot wrote: Also someone mentioned "bullies from Brog", thats not a subject of this thread but I will refer it that no one tended more care of RP and caution to exile people as Brog did even when presented with arguments for it, and its to ones RP how much ground will be open for certain RP or closed on this server. Sometimes we must accept consequences of our RP even as we might not like it, before pointing fingers first question would needed to be why I am exiled? What to change to be unexile?
If its something else in question i would suggest report to DMs who i am certain would react on such claims right away.
Thanks to Torland for mentioning we should get back on the topic of the thread, finding solutions that would revive Gnomish RP.

Currently I am working on carving an excistance for the more lightshy, (Not speaking about Deep-gnomes), Gnomes elsewhere. And so far it has worked well, where we can focus on the Gnome RP without interferance.
And I have always attempted to keep the faction I run as open as possible, unfortunatly given our current situation, there IS an "exceptionlist" of Gnomes that are not welcome. (Sorry Wotan, you are on it, but if you like we can work on that IC).
This is done in one of the most harsh enviroments we have on the Server, Andunor, where the population is paranoid, cruel and looks suspisiously on these "Earthkin Spies", these very same people have the mechanical ability to evict our hideout. However, so far they haven't.

I'd like to see similar work done from an IC level both with the Turret, and the Grotto. To broaden the concept of both these places to cater for more archetype of Gnomes. Perhaps someone can even start something up in Cordor?
That said, I don't in any way mean that EVERY Gnome location should cater for EVERY gnome, but it would be nice if "Goodguy McPaladin" as well as "Evildouche McBlackguard" (both Gnomes), could find their place among the Gnomes. In order to promote GNOME RP.
If we can not find this, these archetype of Gnomes will find themselfs aligning to outside cuases, and not contribute to GNOME RP.

Stating that the Grotto is a "Svirfneblin" settlement, is probably not what we should be going for IMO. As it clearly puts a limit on who belongs there.
I think we should working in a more inclusive angle, including Dwarf and Halflings into the Grotto (considering our numbers, perhaps one or two would be more then enough), given that it IS a part of the Earthkin Alliance.

With love
Terto Tarquin

Ironfoot

Post by Ironfoot » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:56 pm

Yeah, best is to stay on topic, we all a bit went to talk too much of IC things from one case to another what here is not a subject bur rather gnome RP.

Important thing is that this is a game everyone can try everything, but also must be aware they cant force others to only their view of RP and expect others to see it the same, we have many options as Terto here well proved, and places to start a new something that will bring people.

Both Grotto and Turret now are result of great RP that happen during certain time within community, but also "Illusion War" that gain us DM attention what i am sure will happen again if more interesting RPs are made and i know that doesnt depend on numbers for sure.
azrael_athing wrote: That said, I don't in any way mean that EVERY Gnome location should cater for EVERY gnome, but it would be nice if "Goodguy McPaladin" as well as "Evildouche McBlackguard" (both Gnomes), could find their place among the Gnomes. In order to promote GNOME RP.
It would be nice only for "Evildouche McBlackduard"(gnome) as he would be able to do what that gnome likes without having consequence, but i am pretty much sure it would affect Paladin's rpr also who discards the issue his fellow gnome is murderer, being a thief and possible evil-god worshiper, just something you wish your children to grow up with. :D
Events can push two sides to fight together against greater evil-but that has its duration, but can be very fun indeed.

As Wotan asked the question my suggestion is to create something that gnomes of all kinds (if you target them) can relate too or just rock gnomes, i would go with something not tried before, I always seen gnomes as primary steam engine to push Earthkin Alliance ideals further just for this reason they do not have their settlement, but thats my subjective view, you can support others as well...also this is not an easy job as its easier to make Dwarf have a plantage picking flowers, but hey-there was even such char on Arelith! :D

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:15 pm

Brogendenstein having Guldorand as a vassal was a matter that became an eventuality after over a years worth of RP with its leadership and players.
I thought it was because losing an imminent election was about to cause a transfer of power away from Brog
\

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:16 pm

Ironfoot wrote:Grotto at least most part of it was not part of Brog as things existed BEFORE floods and only via common effort of dwarf and svirf(RPed this direction for 5 IRL years, or more) for their safety and make "connection" that was natural as svirfneblins and shield dwarfs long-time coexist in underdark like for example in underdark-town Morndivver , by lore and RP so far done on Arelith svirfneblins find more in common with such dwarfs before any other races as for gnomes they find more in common with Forest Gnomes taken their also secretive nature than with rock gnomes. Shield Dwarf in Grotto speaks of this but also says it wount touch into svirf politics to run this place as well if asked to leave-it will leave.

Regarding Brog itself, as "Master of Grotto" says its Earthkin Alliance Town and part of that alliance on Arelith, when svirf and dwarfs made alliance they agreed to this that resources and law be transfered to Brog, that be under manage of Brog ruler as part of Earthkin Alliance gnomes are in...but what this NPC also says is that svirfneblins can become citizens of Brog(and we are), therefore they can elect and be elected as rulers of the place (as much some dwarfs dislike it :D ), the earthkin dwarf-guard NPC in front of Turret doesnt discard this possibility of gnome ruler in Brog. Claiming anything else from ruler of Brog is actually breaking this alliance. Lets not also forget Brog has Hins, Stronghearts right? And that some PC Hins do live and serve under Brog banner. Its currently more earthkin place than Bendir just with majority of Dwarfs.

It is complete another story why svirfs dont put out candidate against current or any ruler there, but i wish to imply here that there was maybe 6-7 months ago RP that is well documented as outcome of many gnome common meetings but this time only with svirfneblins, on them no new direction was embraced but actually favour more into direction what is it now.

So RP was made, and previous and current svirfneblins, sometimes 2-3, sometimes like past year 14 all pursuit same RP when it comesto leadership and thats the one of current status unless is presented something what wasnt presented before, or larger threat arise.

Turret was presented maybe to develop different RP ideas of being a gnome is different from svirfneblins, but so far i noticed that rock-gnomes rather choose nomadic life being with other races as individuals on this server and dislike any leadership system being svirfs, forest or rock gnomes what often results in empty quarters in Grotto and Turret even as there is double-more players to dwell in both.
I am sure EE will change that.

Also someone mentioned "bullies from Brog", thats not a subject of this thread but I will refer it that no one tended more care of RP and caution to exile people as Brog did even when presented with arguments for it, and its to ones RP how much ground will be open for certain RP or closed on this server. Sometimes we must accept consequences of our RP even as we might not like it, before pointing fingers first question would needed to be why I am exiled? What to change to be unexile?
Umm a quick point once again it was never said people ooc were throwing fits or complaining about bullies. People seem to keep bringing up speak to a DM and IC issues have IC consequences or exiling. I never said there were ooc issues. Just gnomes I had spoken to said the relation with grotto and Brog felt more like a tenant/landlord thing rather than a equal partnership. Which brings up a reason why maybe the grotto should be moved or something else put in place, where all gnomes must get along and not something where it feels like Svirf run this or rock gnomes run that type of thing.

Trust me I am not a fan for adding race specific areas, I truly feel that was one huge mistake in the UD after UDOS fell was the push to give each UD race an area as it seemed to just spread out a small playerbase instead of making the UD races actually have to deal with each other. But the Turret to me feels unnecessary and the Grotto feels too much where Gnomes really don't have alot of freedom, also is it really necessary? I mean the Grotto rp'd that way or not, does seem to be more of a svirf thing. Which is why a turret/grotto thing might be best. Make it like the UD/Cordor where ultimate its run by NPC's and players run day to day. That way if playerbase gets too small at times it still can function as an NPC settlement.
Last edited by Sab1 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:20 pm

I'm usually anti race areas but changing the Grotto to be its own thing and/or moving it under the turret seems more like a 'fix' then a new area.

What if you want to play a Gnome but don't want to pay tribute to Brog or don't like Dwarves? Good luck, you'll be banished, and there's IC claims by Brog for the Turret; it's not mechanically enforced just PVP enforced, and that's less then ideal as most people don't like PvP.

It's not ideal, and I think it should be looked at.
\

If Valor Were Inches

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:47 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:I'm usually anti race areas but changing the Grotto to be its own thing and/or moving it under the turret seems more like a 'fix' then a new area.

What if you want to play a Gnome but don't want to pay tribute to Brog or don't like Dwarves? Good luck, you'll be banished, and there's IC claims by Brog for the Turret; it's not mechanically enforced just PVP enforced, and that's less then ideal as most people don't like PvP.

You're not going to get banished for that sole reason, I think that's highly exaggerated and removes the context of why banishment happens. There's gnomes that fit both of the above and have not gotten banished.

I don't even think the turret claims are really much of a thing presently either. It was a thing threatened, but never came to fruition.

It's not -that- bad of a situation, and it has IC resolutions.

Hammerwell

Post by Hammerwell » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:22 pm

I'd like to mention how awesome it was, as a new player, to initially see this kind of RP between the "cousin-races" of the Realms. My first impression of Arelith was: "Omg, so many hins, gnomes & dwarves", then my second one was: "Omg­², way more gnome PCs I've ever seen at the same time :shock: ".

Since I'm used to there being 3-4 active gnomes on any given RP PW, seeing so many of the Forgotten Folk clucking around in Bendir/Grotto/Brog made me feel way immersed.

Despite the challenges of creating & managing these communities-within-communities, and in the spirit of what is to come in the future for the "Ñoldor of D&D", this server is a top notch place to try out gnome RP and that's something to be proud of.

If Valor Were Inches

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:26 pm

Hammerwell wrote:I'd like to mention how awesome it was, as a new player, to initially see this kind of RP between the "cousin-races" of the Realms. My first impression of Arelith was: "Omg, so many hins, gnomes & dwarves", then my second one was: "Omg­², way more gnome PCs I've ever seen at the same time :shock: ".

Since I'm used to there being 3-4 active gnomes on any given RP PW, seeing so many of the Forgotten Folk clucking around in Bendir/Grotto/Brog made me feel way immersed.

Despite the challenges of creating & managing these communities-within-communities, and in the spirit of what is to come in the future for the "Ñoldor of D&D", this server is a top notch place to try out gnome RP and that's something to be proud of.
Full agreement! :)

A little fellow

Post by A little fellow » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:32 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:I'm usually anti race areas but changing the Grotto to be its own thing and/or moving it under the turret seems more like a 'fix' then a new area.

I can confirm that most all of what you spoke of didn't happen.

- Gnomes have never had to pay tribute to Brog.
- Gnomes have never been kicked out of the Grotto for not liking Dwarves.
- Brog never claimed the Turret, there was only a "proposal" of annexation, should demands not be met.
- There was no PvP enforcement of this proposal

I hate that I am contributing to taking this discussion down this road, but I dislike lies more than I dislike contributing to taking discussions down said road. All I ask is that you consider things objectively when people tell you stuff like this.
Lovin' you is easy 'cause you're dutiful

Ironfoot

Post by Ironfoot » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:46 pm

If Valor Were Inches wrote:
Hammerwell wrote:I'd like to mention how awesome it was, as a new player, to initially see this kind of RP between the "cousin-races" of the Realms. My first impression of Arelith was: "Omg, so many hins, gnomes & dwarves", then my second one was: "Omg­², way more gnome PCs I've ever seen at the same time :shock: ".

Full agreement! :)
Wohoo, this is great comment!
Last edited by Ironfoot on Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:14 pm

A little fellow wrote:

I can confirm that most all of what you spoke of didn't happen.

- Gnomes have never had to pay tribute to Brog.
- Gnomes have never been kicked out of the Grotto for not liking Dwarves.
- Brog never claimed the Turret, there was only a "proposal" of annexation, should demands not be met.
- There was no PvP enforcement of this proposal

I hate that I am contributing to taking this discussion down this road, but I dislike lies more than I dislike contributing to taking discussions down said road. All I ask is that you consider things objectively when people tell you stuff like this.
I didn't mean literal money payment of tribute, but what else do you do to a race that makes your laws, enforces your punishments, and isn't beholden to you at all? You must appease and play lip service as a gnome you have zero authority over your own race home. There is no choice for you unless you want to risk banishment.

If you are a gnome that wishes to cause conflict against Brog, there's little you can do. Brog controls everything gnome related and ultimately decides if you can return home w/o bluff through the highest bluff proofed area (the guards by the cliffs have abnormally high spot and you need extra bluff to get through).

As for pvp, I don't really know what else death threats for "trespassing" mean, if people say it but there's no threat of pvp to back it up. But if you say those threats are empty the I don't really have a choice but to question why they're made in the first place.

Either way, if you want to play a gnome right now, you either appease Brog or just don't have a home.
\

azrael_athing

Post by azrael_athing » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:23 pm

BegoneThoth wrote: Either way, if you want to play a gnome right now, you either appease Brog or just don't have a home.
This is not entirely true, for low-level Rock-Gnomes, there is always Cordor, and for Deep-Gnomes there is Andunor. For high-levels, it is more or less anyones choise where they want to be active, but Gnomes who do not bend knee to Brogendenstein certainly are out there and in a home.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:28 pm

BegoneThoth wrote: If you are a gnome that wishes to cause conflict against Brog, there's little you can do. Brog controls everything gnome related and ultimately decides if you can return home w/o bluff through the highest bluff proofed area (the guards by the cliffs have abnormally high spot and you need extra bluff to get through).

As for pvp, I don't really know what else death threats for "trespassing" mean, if people say it but there's no threat of pvp to back it up. But if you say those threats are empty the I don't really have a choice but to question why they're made in the first place.

Either way, if you want to play a gnome right now, you either appease Brog or just don't have a home.
There are other ways to get into the grotto that don't pass by dwarf held lands at all.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:34 pm

But they control banishment there, so my understanding is that if you're Brog banished you can't be in the grotto or you get zipped out.

Either way the fact that a *race* can be banished from accessing their race-home by another race in some bizarre protectorate/vassal arrangement is bad, Moreso that the grotto can never break free, and there's nothing stopping a corrupt/inept government from just obliterating gnomes or annexing/claiming anything that goes in.

I do not believe any other race home has such a situation and it's really sad. Gnomes are an isolationist people and forcing them to live under a rapid expansionist regime with no chance at liberation is likely why there are so few right now.
\

If Valor Were Inches

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:39 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:But they control banishment there, so my understanding is that if you're Brog banished you can't be in the grotto or you get zipped out.

Either way the fact that a *race* can be banished from accessing their race-home by another race in some bizarre protectorate/vassal arrangement is bad, Moreso that the grotto can never break free, and there's nothing stopping a corrupt/inept government from just obliterating gnomes or annexing/claiming anything that goes in.

I do not believe any other race home has such a situation and it's really sad. Gnomes are an isolationist people and forcing them to live under a rapid expansionist regime with no chance at liberation is likely why there are so few right now.
This is really not how it goes.

Just because the mechanics -allow- you to do something doesn't mean it can/will/does happen that way, and using the mechanics that way, the players are very responsible and thoughtful of others fun. I can easily see a gnome rising in Brogendenstein ranks while voicing for better gnome representation or whatever.

Gnomes aren't forced to live anywhere. Heck, a gnome could become the Thane if they wanted to, because the mechanics allow it. Does that mean they're going to in turn exile all the dwarves? It works both ways, which is somehow being missed. The power of exile has nothing to do with being a dwarf.

I do not think the issue at all lies within how the set up is, just that more player numbers would be nice. Imagine an equal number of Svirf and Dwarves in the area, and the Svirf's getting political, or even the Svirfs having enough sympathy to make a run. The situation would be very different.

EE has that potential...if they make gnomes look nicer.

But basically, the argument that Brog can exile and keep the Grotto under oppression is faulty when a Svirf can run and become Thane and do the same in reverse, essentially flipping the problem, when the reality is that players follow the Be Nice rule and are out to make fun narratives.
Last edited by If Valor Were Inches on Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:42 pm

We will have to see.

Still, I firmly believe that the government of one race should not be 100% beholden to the other, and gnomes being almost three races being glued to dwarves is specifically problematic.

There should be a split, or a system of forced representation for both races to ensure they both are always guaranteed an equal say.
\

If Valor Were Inches

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:44 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:We will have to see.

Still, I firmly believe that the government of one race should not be 100% beholden to the other, and gnomes being almost three races being glued to dwarves is specifically problematic.

There should be a split, or a system of forced representation for both races to ensure they both are always guaranteed an equal say.
I disagree on this, as I do not think every race needs a settlement, nor that things should be equal and fair if we want a setting with that sort of narrative. But I'm still of the opinion that it would be nice if there was just one Earthkin Settlement with a merger, with power shared by one member of each race (Or even just one person still, conflict isn't bad), but the IC climate of the alliance would need to be improved by players first.

But I've said my piece!

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:52 pm

I agree on the race settlement thing, but they already have a good one, so I think it should be spruced up a bit and given a government.
\

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:56 pm

Guess it depends on what one is looking for when they say gnome RP. The way it is now they are rather spread out. You can start in Brog or Cordor, svirf can freely move above and below, and unlike a lot of races gnomes can live in almost any settlement (on surface only Myon is a no go). So what you have is the gnomes possibly being spread out everywhere and not a central hub of gnome activity like most the other surface races have. Then you have two areas gnomes have claimed grotto and turret.

The problem with one settlement is sort of forces them all together and into the alliance. At times the alliance doesn't make sense but it's fun when cracks appear in the alliance or when you see these races band together to stand up against a common foe. Andy not denouncing the Banites voting and freeing Guld from vassalage comes to mind when the Dwarves were really upset and seemed the alliance might be dead for good. Every race having their own area can be bad but forcing them into one area like the UD city isn't always a good choice either.

Ironfoot

Post by Ironfoot » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:28 pm

Why is not a good choice?

If we see mechanics Bendir and Brog are one transit away, while Sharp and Devils District are three.Sharp and Devils District have their own election status as Bendir and Brog-so no difference and current RP both settlements can fit easily in new place.
If you add some space in between, neutral space, you might just get gnomes on one spot (what most here want) and their RP risen amongst two sides with very likely risen number of not only gnomes but other two earthkin races and boost things what this thread is about, we all recall what underdark was before Andunor, and what was it in past years since making.

While playing i was for isolation of Grotto, but during my RP and interaction with other gnomes i realised that at least 90% of them are in favour of Earthkin Alliance vs Gnome Settlement, otherwise svirfs wouldnt be pleased with Dwarfs being up their heads, and rock gnomes would build up RP in Turret, for now at least most of them will choose Arelith overall as mentioned on this thread.

Simply gnome players are in favour of mix-race RP on this server over strict racial gnome RP.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:50 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:Still, I firmly believe that the government of one race should not be 100% beholden to the other, and gnomes being almost three races being glued to dwarves is specifically problematic.
A human ran Bendir for a time. Brogendenstein isn't immune to that sort of play either. Your particular brand of fear-mongering isn't a reality.