Is Coffee IC? Yes.

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Stath

Re: Is Coffee IC? Yes.

Post by Stath » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:12 am

Without your cup of morning joe you're just a regular joe
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:39 am

Ork wrote: All the same, all opinions aren't equal and not everyone's opinion is necessarily valid or above ridicule. If you're getting hung up on coffee being immersion breaking, you should re-examine the setting, the game, and your own involvement in it.
Please respect my opinion as I would do for your own.

I find someone walking into the tavern and saying "I've had a long day and could use a nice strong cup of coffee" immersion breaking, and I also find it immersion breaking to have to be that person.
I don't judge players who say this, I don't report them, I don't send them nasty tells. (because as I said in my suggestion, I understand the need for a way to raise rest beyond resting)
Why should I "re-examine my own involvement" in the game just because I have a harmless opinion that clearly contradicts your own?

Once again, I ask that you please respect my opinion as I would do for yours.
If you want to voice your own opinion on the subject that's fine, but please do so by explaining your own view on the subject, rather than posting attacks that are rather clearly directed at me.

And just for the record, I'm not "hung up" on coffee being immersion breaking. If they never make a change to it, I wouldn't care.
My suggestion is just that, a suggestion based on my own experiences and views(just like almost every other suggestion there is). I don't expect everyone to agree with it, but I do expect to be treated with the same respect I show others who post suggestions that I disagree with.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:38 am

My only suggestion for coffee, would be to implement a caffeine meter that fills up very quickly and does CON damage if it is pumped above 100%(representing heart palpitations from caffeine overdose), to make it impossible for someone to live for days on end without sleeping by constantly filling their rest meter with coffee endlessly.

If we're going to talk about immersion here.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:48 pm

Can we add ice coffee?

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:57 pm

Guys...you are arguing about coffee in a game,Twily just made a suggestion based on her/his opinions and also got a answer from a DM saying coffe does exist in FR,but still has the suggestion up even if he/she does understand the other point of view.

No need to make a thread to argue on this.

PS: Oh and a lot of people on this thread are having fun instead of arguing wich makes sense since the thread is on the Slanty Shantry :) ,i dont think any of them are directing any trolling towards you Twily.
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:34 pm

Cybernet21 wrote:Guys...you are arguing about coffee in a game[...]
If all arguments on the forums were about coffee, instead of what they're usually about, I would be much happier.

afreshstart

Post by afreshstart » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:33 pm

Coffee addiction isn't a new thing to the world. Sultan Murad IV banned coffee along with drinking and smoking in the 17th ceuntry.

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:56 pm

Can IC coffee be a thing in the underdark?

I think the people there would be a little more accomadating and less evil if they had daily coffee at their bar
Plays as the monster in your closet

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:20 pm

caldura firebourne wrote:Can IC coffee be a thing in the underdark?

I think the people there would be a little more accomadating and less evil if they had daily coffee at their bar
No. Only lines of ziran.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:17 pm

Guys, I don't want this thread to contain animosity. Can we just talk about coffee?

Chucky1234

Post by Chucky1234 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:22 pm

If coffee is available at the bar then definitely nuts should be too. It's rare to find a bar that doesn't off some dodgy looking peanuts.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:24 pm

What I want to know is if we can add craftable pumpkin spice to the herbalism school.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:23 pm

Twily wrote:
Ork wrote: All the same, all opinions aren't equal and not everyone's opinion is necessarily valid or above ridicule. If you're getting hung up on coffee being immersion breaking, you should re-examine the setting, the game, and your own involvement in it.
Please respect my opinion as I would do for your own.

I find someone walking into the tavern and saying "I've had a long day and could use a nice strong cup of coffee" immersion breaking, and I also find it immersion breaking to have to be that person.
I don't judge players who say this, I don't report them, I don't send them nasty tells. (because as I said in my suggestion, I understand the need for a way to raise rest beyond resting)
Why should I "re-examine my own involvement" in the game just because I have a harmless opinion that clearly contradicts your own?

Once again, I ask that you please respect my opinion as I would do for yours.
If you want to voice your own opinion on the subject that's fine, but please do so by explaining your own view on the subject, rather than posting attacks that are rather clearly directed at me.

And just for the record, I'm not "hung up" on coffee being immersion breaking. If they never make a change to it, I wouldn't care.
My suggestion is just that, a suggestion based on my own experiences and views(just like almost every other suggestion there is). I don't expect everyone to agree with it, but I do expect to be treated with the same respect I show others who post suggestions that I disagree with.
I'm actually concerned by the fact coffee is immersion breaking. Are you not recognizing the fact coffee was a beverage in the Middle East and Near East during 1500s?

Coffee would actually be a lore-accepting beverage, and aligns with Faerunian analogues and Early Modern history, of which Arelith is firmly set in.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Thanatosis

Post by Thanatosis » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:01 pm

I think Twily's point is not that coffee's existence is tantamount to evil but that the way people treat it in game is jarring and somewhat weird.

Seeing somebody talk about how they "just can't live without their coffee" feels anachronistic, like something I'd hear from another guy at work, not an elf ranger while we traverse a mountain to fight ice giants.

At the end of the day it's not really a big deal. It's like saying "okay" in game -- it bothers me because it originated from a US presidential campaign in the mid 1800s, but aside from a minor pet peeve it's so totally irrelevant and I don't really care that much.

I know a litany of great roleplayers who use "okay" in game and talk about coffee, and I know a litany of those who don't. Spoiler: they're not great simply because they abstain.
BegoneThoth wrote:Hardcore player here

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:36 pm

Thanatosis wrote:I think Twily's point is not that coffee's existence is tantamount to evil but that the way people treat it in game is jarring and somewhat weird.

Seeing somebody talk about how they "just can't live without their coffee" feels anachronistic, like something I'd hear from another guy at work, not an elf ranger while we traverse a mountain to fight ice giants.

At the end of the day it's not really a big deal. It's like saying "okay" in game -- it bothers me because it originated from a US presidential campaign in the mid 1800s, but aside from a minor pet peeve it's so totally irrelevant and I don't really care that much.

I know a litany of great roleplayers who use "okay" in game and talk about coffee, and I know a litany of those who don't. Spoiler: they're not great simply because they abstain.
This.
Coffee may exist in our gameworld, but it receives a treatment that hits too close home. (I've done it, too). it seems something too common, too ordinary, something that is too tied to our own lives to receive another approach, a more fantastic and immersive approach in the setting.

Can we have it renamed to Kaeth at least? So that it gets a differentiating... touch?
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

flower

Post by flower » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:40 pm

Do we really have that much time to argue over a coffee IG in like over two pages already?

...whats wrong....:D

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:59 pm

It's like saying "okay" in game -- it bothers me because it originated from a US presidential campaign in the mid 1800s,
In the nicest way possible this is literally the best summation of these sorts of threads I have ever seen, and not like, in a good way
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:04 pm

Iceborn wrote:
Thanatosis wrote:I think Twily's point is not that coffee's existence is tantamount to evil but that the way people treat it in game is jarring and somewhat weird.

This.
Coffee may exist in our gameworld, but it receives a treatment that hits too close home. (I've done it, too). it seems something too common, too ordinary, something that is too tied to our own lives to receive another approach, a more fantastic and immersive approach in the setting.

Can we have it renamed to Kaeth at least? So that it gets a differentiating... touch?
Exactly, to all of this.
This is exactly why I find it a bit immersion breaking, but just like Thanatosis says about the use of "okay", it's little more than a minor pet peeve.
I just figured I'd throw the suggestion out there, because hey, why not. It's just a suggestion, something that usually goes more or less completely un-noticed.
The fact it sparked the response it has, has me rather baffled.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:17 pm

can we add gnomish kaeth machines
:)

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:24 pm

K(aeth)-cups.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:02 pm

I think all these threads about suggestions are getting a bit silly. We had comments turned off in the suggestions forum for a reason, so do we really need to go making threads about other peoples suggestions every other day?

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:01 am

Oh, that reminds me:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16948

But the FR wiki states that Kaeth is also referred to in the realms as coffee.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:46 am

Yeah, it does. But I find myself stranged every time I see it.
I don't see much harm in having it changed; only the contrary.

Just the same, it doesn't stop people from saying coffee all they want ICly.
But it nudges the people in the 'right' direction.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:51 am

But it nudges the people in the 'right' direction.
Yeah, but what's 'wrong' with "coffee"? You wrote this:
I find myself stranged every time I see it.
Yet other people don't, so this is does not establish your case.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:57 am

its literally called coffee in the realms.

you're the only one calling it wrong.

just because they don't use the arbitrary fantasy designation does not make them wrong.