EE and 'optional' downloads

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

BegoneThoth

EE and 'optional' downloads

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:34 pm

In addition to the upcoming Steam beta, which will run alongside the “head start” edition that preorder customers are already playing, they also unveiled a new character model for Lady Aribeth de Tylmarande. The studio is creating all new models for all the characters in the game, but they'll be optional and available through the Steam Workshop.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/neverwinter-ni ... signup?amp

Is content like this going to become a mandatory 'optional' workshop download once Arelith goes live, or will such content not be used?
\

One Two Three Five

Re: EE and 'optional' downloads

Post by One Two Three Five » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:48 pm

I assume they'll be overrides instead of haks, so.. Should be optional.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

ForgottenBhaal

Post by ForgottenBhaal » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:08 pm

I think it will be possible that we go over to Haks to allow for custom classes more fluidly. I remember there being talk of it before, as well for clothing options and the like.

Stath

Post by Stath » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:31 pm

I sure hope you can use the original models. Updated aribeth looks like something out of mass effect andromeda
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:51 pm

Stath wrote:I sure hope you can use the original models. Updated aribeth looks like something out of mass effect andromeda
Yes it looks very out of place.
\

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:32 am

Oh,you guys realky think so? i thought Aribeth was awesome (i mean even if ME:Andromeda face expressions are bad they are definetly better than NWN avatars/faces) just thought if all models were like it that my potato NPC wouldnt handle it
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:44 am

Also,it actually reminded me of Divinity Original sin
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:52 am

The models will be optional. They said on Stream players can still play NWN as it looks today. But honestly they are WIP and just sets the standard for what they want to make all (I think) models look like. Looking forward to see how the player models turn out!

Stath

Post by Stath » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:56 am

I imagine they're just doing unique named characters from the OC campaign as opposed to literally every model in the game.
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:22 am

Stath wrote:I imagine they're just doing unique named characters from the OC campaign as opposed to literally every model in the game.
Yea most likely though I am fairly sure they will be remaking the player models. With that done a lot of NPCs would be covered as well, except Monsters.

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:24 am

Uhhh...the model has a stylized look to it but I think it looks great. And of course it's going to look out of place when literally nothing else matches it at the moment.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:48 pm

Maladus wrote:Uhhh...the model has a stylized look to it but I think it looks great. And of course it's going to look out of place when literally nothing else matches it at the moment.

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:34 pm

Aribeth looks awesome. We need to put her in the EE game and rename her something that fits the setting. I'm looking forward to being able to make player-characters that look that shiny :D

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:32 am

CragOrion wrote:Aribeth looks awesome. We need to put her in the EE game and rename her something that fits the setting. I'm looking forward to being able to make player-characters that look that shiny :D
That's really the whole question. If EE Arelith uses the model for a PC what will people that don't DL the model see?
\

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:33 am

BegoneThoth wrote:
CragOrion wrote:Aribeth looks awesome. We need to put her in the EE game and rename her something that fits the setting. I'm looking forward to being able to make player-characters that look that shiny :D
That's really the whole question. If EE Arelith uses the model for a PC what will people that don't DL the model see?
These are just overrides basically. You would see the standard NWN models.

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:24 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:]If EE Arelith uses the model for a PC what will people that don't DL the model see
THE VOID.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:04 pm

ActionReplay wrote:
BegoneThoth wrote:
These are just overrides basically. You would see the standard NWN models.
Excellent!
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
BegoneThoth wrote:]If EE Arelith uses the model for a PC what will people that don't DL the model see
THE VOID.
mfw im playing nwn and my player model doesn't load
\

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:41 am

My take-away was that the Aribeth override was a proof-of-concept of what they could eventually be able to do with character creation, and that the ultimate goal is to put that quality of character models into the base game

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:33 am

The Aribeth model works because it's just a skin, it's not a dynamic model made up of ~16 discrete connecting parts.

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:52 pm

Indeed. Now they know they can put skins on character models and can try adding it to the base game!

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:37 pm

Aribeth was never a character model. She was always a skin. I don't think you understood what I meant - it's that aribeth is one discrete mesh and model, which makes it very easy to make a new model for. PC models are a bunch of individual parts meshed together at joints, which makes doing what they did for Aribeth a very different thing altogether, and is why on PC models you have points where it's very obviously polygons stuck together on a string - but Aribeth, Nasher, etc's models aren't like that.

MongooseGod

Post by MongooseGod » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:20 am

Aribeth is blond now? ... I rather liked the brown hair. I will say the skirt looks better then the leg armor she had in the base game, its more in line with all the old art but it needs something more. Something like the armor plates like on Saber's (fate stay night) skirt or make it more like scale armor.

EDIT: BOOM!!! This armor!!! https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/images/524899
"You watch it or you die, simple for you!" - Every goblin ever.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:24 pm

MongooseGod wrote: EDIT: BOOM!!! This armor!!! https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/images/524899
https://i.imgur.com/32V0DUd.png

Hmmmm
\

Arelith_Rocks

Post by Arelith_Rocks » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:44 am

TimeAdept wrote:Aribeth was never a character model. She was always a skin. I don't think you understood what I meant - it's that aribeth is one discrete mesh and model, which makes it very easy to make a new model for. PC models are a bunch of individual parts meshed together at joints, which makes doing what they did for Aribeth a very different thing altogether, and is why on PC models you have points where it's very obviously polygons stuck together on a string - but Aribeth, Nasher, etc's models aren't like that.
There used to be an issue with Aribeth's model that caused her movement speed to be slightly higher than that of other PC's - it's the reason she was banned so frequently on PvP servers. I don't remember the issue that caused it, but I imagine Nasher and all the other skins for story characters have the same issues. Pretty sure that issue still exists, because like you said, it's a skin.

So happy about the steam release, by the way - I hope we get more portraits/voicesets. New weapons, armors would be nice too.

livingNPC

Post by livingNPC » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:41 pm

Have they given instruction on how to get a steam key, if you already own head start?