Having one of your characters undo what another did

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Cybernet21

Having one of your characters undo what another did

Post by Cybernet21 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:07 pm

So does anyone here have any tales of making a new character that had the opposite goal/being part the enemy faction of their most recent previous character at the time?How did it feel like?

This just came up to mind since i have a paladin of Tyr active now and my next character will be a Banite BG and thought of perhaps my new character might simply want to undo what my paladin did (should the Radiant/Good for example win this server's "story arc" of the fight between good and evil of course) so thought of asking around the server if anyone had to do it and how it felt,it's such a interesting situation.
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Sab1

Re: Having one of your characters undo what another did

Post by Sab1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:05 am

Me personally I try to avoid it, since it always felt odd to me. So I try to avoid making a character that might be directly opposite, a group I was opposed to or even being in the same group, or might be too similar to my old one. Plus I always had to fight the urge to speak up when people were talking of the actions of my old character and were getting things wrong.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:40 am

I played a warlock, followed immediately by a character who became a warlock hunter. It's doable, but challenging. I'd say the key thing is to be VERY careful about metagaming, since in that situation you tend to know a lot about the opposing side. That said, it can generate some excellent RP, because you have a good OOC rapport with your now-enemies, which helps to make conflict be less about winning/losing and more about having fun.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:28 pm

I think in general it's good practice to steer clear of anything your previous character touched, at least until the dust has settled. Like Sab1 mentions, being made to discuss your old character on a new one is a very uncomfortable situation. It can also sometimes look bad -- the player of a Tormtar immediately flipping sides to play a Banite, in order to punish and oppose the other Tormtar PCs who gave him a hard time, for example, and the implicit metagaming that comes along with that.

Personally, I like to avoid recycling aspects of a past character's "portfolio" too soon. I want to play a Valkuran who hates Umberlee, but I also want to play an Umberlite(lant?). However to play them in succession would be a mistake imo, so soon encountering the same themes, characters and parts of the server.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

Emotionaloverload
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Emotionaloverload » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:38 pm

I always pick a different class, alignment, race, and faction/location on a new character to avoid playing with characters I just finished playing with to keep away any messiness so sometimes I have played characters that are the opposite of what I just rolled but rarely are their directly opposed the last concept.

That said, you don't have to ignore characters you recently played with on another character and some characters are island wide types rather than faction/location specific so its understandable to be involved with them again.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't play the banite but perhaps his/her focus can be something other than the Radiant Heart.

-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:41 pm

I have never had a char of mine directly undo what a previous or existing char of mine did or is doing. I try to avoid this as I would like to avoid metagaming info I know about one char to another. It's hard enough playing a char related to another and trying to avoid metagaming, so I'd rather not get into anther types if I can avoid it.

However, I do play chars that are opposed or contracdictory to the beliefs and golas of other chars. For instance I have and do play banites, but I also play gnolls who could not be more opposed to Bane/ Baator/ lawful good. One of my gnolls doesn even like banites much and is fond of cyric and yeenoghu :). I also have at least one char who hates Bane on a moral grounds. And on other who struggles with Bane's dogma. BUt none of them have much to do with anything my previous chars did or are doing.

With one exception. I am playing the son of a previous banite who has views very different from his father. And yes his father has a large impact on him.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:54 pm

My first character to reach epic, Astarial, spent the better part of a decade as a member of the Wharftown Waymen during the years of Zethariel, Sully, Minerva and Amana (DirtyDiety's Amana, not the archmage of the tower). When it wasn't at war with everyone.

Astarial helped enchant the buildings to be fireproof against the Abazurr dragon invasion and was part of the populace that helped "build" the update to the city that made it bigger/prettier.

Then came his son, Ceviran- who led the mission to secure the Amnian Fleet before marching with the Eagles beside the king during the Wharftown Bombardment.

It wasn't awkward, because one character's goals were completely separate from the other, but it was very bittersweet. I actually shed a few tears when the bombardment started.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002