Adventures of NWN:EE!

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Horrid Wilting Revolver

Re: Adventures of NWN:EE!

Post by Horrid Wilting Revolver » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:23 pm

Irongron wrote:Hey Horrid. I've spent the last months working flat out making this, and was really thrilled to read your post; glad you're enjoying it!

As for the difficulty, the whole module is far more action based than Arelith is used to, and very much designed for party play. I hope you find some people to play alongside.

I've got my friend Nordic Fish Juice helpin' me out and I'm confident we can succeed. Keep up the pace on the server. I love it. Surface has it's casual feel. The Underdark seems to be where all the PvP-Addicts go. I'm glad to have an environment where PvE Challenge is a thing.

I'm playing a Ranger. The Vast Wilderness itself is my ally! I will succeed!

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:28 pm

FYI Arelith EE has not yet been patched to the latest version of EE.

@Horrid Wilting Revolver I'm glad you like the server, Irongron spent a lot of time making those areas for EE and the island so far looks great. I'm looking forward to see how it develops. Big shout out to Mitheras as well for making it all work NWNX side.
Ramza wrote:Well, once again I really recommend that people take this with a truckload of salt. Then again with the way its worded and how pushy it is in its message most folk will realize anyway. Still, you came on a bit strong there boy.
Haha, what? Lol come on now dude what was that?

kainshots

Post by kainshots » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:50 pm

Adjustments: I'm trying to dl the English-Headstart version. It never does anything. no files created. No dl speed. And it's not my internet, litterally everything else works fine. I'll figure it out eventually or beamdog will respond to my support ticket. Either way i'll figure it out and be on eventually. Still super excited.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:50 pm

Thank you for the valuable testing you're providing us :D

Glad you're having so much fun! I'm not going to be able to patch the server for a few weeks while I get internet sorted in my new place, so apologies if it takes a bit longer than normal to get through the bugs you've posted.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Horrid Wilting Revolver

Post by Horrid Wilting Revolver » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:55 am

Your welcome! I'm happy to help. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you ig.

Meanwhile, I will try to survive the wait without my fashion lol.

Nordic_War_Song

Post by Nordic_War_Song » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:50 am

Aside from a slight case of apathy that's somehow unavoidable from being me, I agree 100% with Horrid Wilting Revolver's book, It's been a blast trying out the new server with him, Skaljard and the lore behind it are extremely fascinating. The mob spawns are EVIL, but in a good way, unlike on Regulith I'm walking around with a sense of apprehension and suspense.

Horrid Wilting Revolver

Post by Horrid Wilting Revolver » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:36 am

It has dawned on me, a little slowly admittedly, that along with a lack of portals or horses we don't have caravans and now I wonder if potions of attunement do anything. Getting around on Skal is rough, especially if your encumbered after a hunt.

We also don't have speedy messagers.

After talking to NPCs I recall them mentioning the only other settlement in Skal being the orcs in the northern tundra. I have arrow scars that will testify they aren't friendly!

I'm curious to know if there will be additions of any of this or similar in the future.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:55 pm

I give the EE a thumps up my self.
I gotten the EE nwn a few dats ago now and boy is it enjoyable. Playing on the nwn beta mod has been so fresh oppose too regular arelith while still having having familiar systems.

Horrid Wilting Revolver

Post by Horrid Wilting Revolver » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Can someone assist me in setting up an easy to use, safe install Screenshot system? A while back I used to use xfire, but I don't want to download an entire chat system just for pictures, again.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:47 pm

Just use this. (Unless you don’t have Windows)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/hel ... creenshots
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:34 pm

I've got EE same day it was announced to support it but haven't played Arelith EE cos I'm spoiled by all the regulith systems :) loved your post!

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:04 am

I don't think the skepticism is all that unnatural.

Let's be real. NWN EE could well be something great (and I think it will be), but the announcement, the initial streams, etc., left a lot to be desired in their presentation. Coupled with that came a ton of assurances from 'insiders' (some from people directly on Beamdog's payroll) that NWN:EE would be, like, the best thing ever, we promise! ... With nothing to show for it.

Here's the thing: in the video game industry, shills are a very real thing. It's no secret that not every form of advertising is especially honest, that supposedly 'trustworthy' sources are paid to say good things about products (e.g. look no further than game review journals). And while I don't think it was anyone's intention to genuinely shill, the appearance of it did very much to put EE's reputation on the back foot with a large portion of the Arelith community.

Players are naturally wary, as they should be in the video game industry, and as they should be with any relatively small, unknown company. They don't want to invest in a product they know so little about. They want and deserve more. Pardon me for being remarkably candid, but I daresay that anyone that doesn't understand that is remarkably out of touch.

At any rate, personally? I'm confident that players will get what they're asking for as NWN:EE nears release. But in the meantime, I'd be far more concerned if players didn't show any skepticism. Apathy will do nothing to push the industry forward or foster the community's trust.

To the OP: I can assure you that Arelith's community is generally pretty relaxed and I'm glad that you're having a ton of fun. Like you, I'm looking forward to NWN:EE's release. No one is out to get you. They're merely skeptical (as they've the right to be), but I'm certain they'll cool down once they realize you're a pretty chill dude.

Horrid Wilting Revolver

Post by Horrid Wilting Revolver » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:00 pm

I was trying to do as CragOrion and not let this get to me, but I'm honestly just SHOCKED that the community I've been playing with for 10 years is not only this paranoid, but outright rude about showing it.

Peppermint, you have fair points and I understand 'Skeptisism", but the reaction I'm getting feels like more than just that. I don't believe I'm being attacked specifically, since the rage seems to be all directed at Beamdog. I'm just in the crossfire and I'm not really enjoying it. I don't have a right to judge or complain about people being hesitant or suspicious, but at the same time: They don't have to write, and personally PM me, nasty comments about it either.

I love this server and no matter what new game comes out and distracts me for a while, I always end up coming back to Arelith. I am not Beamdog, I don't work for Beamdog, and I'm not associated with them. I'm not getting paid for this either (Wish I was!) I'm an Arelithian, Loud and Proud, and I'm having fun on the Test Server. I read the discussions about people not wanting, or being unable, to pay for the pre-release and, like you said Peppermint, there were a lot of questions about it. SO! I thought I'd be a nice guy, donate my time, and type up my thoughts, opinions, and experiences from the Test server. I sure didn't expect to be called a fake and a liar for it!

If you can't be persuaded that I'm legit, fine. If you want to be "skeptic" or paranoid, that's your right. But just incase your mothers never taught you basic common decency allow me to educate you ...

IF YOU DON'T HAVE SOMETHING NICE TO SAY, DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!

I started this thread to share information with people who were curious about the Test Server or EE. If you have questions about it, feel free to ask them here. Clearly the DMs are tuned in, and I'm playing it personally so I can try testing things for you. This is the place to discuss the game, not corporate conspiracy or whatever-other nonsense.

Alright. Back to the good stuff.

My play time is a little restricted by the ever-present annoyance of IRL, therefore there will be a brief delay in me preparing the screenshots I want to show you guys. Please be patient. For all of you eager to join in and play on the EE server with us, I'm hopeful I'll get to see you soon. If any of you are newer to Arelith, or NWN in general, let me know. Tips, tricks, and advice are available. If you spot me on my char IG (Anvindr Drifter) send me a tell anytime, or even just to say hello.

To Freyason, I know the feeling. There are quite a few scripts on the EE server that aren't up and running yet. I hope once some more stuff gets ported over though I'll see you join us. :)

To end this post I have a question for readers (The Nice Ones). Is there anything I mentioned in my original post that started this thread, in the descriptions, that your interested in seeing specifically? If so I'll be sure to get screenshots of them. Let me know!

ROLEPLAY FOR THE WIN!

With The Sky Below My Feet

Post by With The Sky Below My Feet » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:36 pm

Like, who actually believes that any company would pay any significant amount of money to distribute good vibes about a game on the forum of a long established community? One that'll continue existing with EE or without it, as long as there are willing Devs and Admins and we somehow manage compatibility.

Even if there are a handful of thousands of players somehow active around Arelith, no one right in their mind would invest that much time, money and thought in the vocal 5% that's bashing.

Marketing-wise, EE is mostly meant to appeal to vintage gaming enthusiasts, D&D fans, people that 'played it back then and want to relive the spirit' and perhaps new audiences.

For us, EE is a chance.

You don't pay your developers' (or your own...) paycheck by trying to convince some resentful meme-fueled tinfoil-heads.

Let's say 50 people quit Arelith and don't buy EE. Beamdog loses....

1000$ opportunity cost.

Let's say it's 150 people.

3000$.

You do the maths.

In a business sense, you don't matter.

You can stop acting like you do or continue being a pest.

All you're doing is alienate players and disgruntle admins/devs that put a lot of time and work into this.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed reading this thread.

Thanks for the time you're putting into this.
Suddenly everyone's smiling.

Hesitation marks

Post by Hesitation marks » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:48 pm

I've never understood people taking others' anger with EE so personally. Whether they're justified in being buttblasted or not is irrelevant, telling someone that they "don't matter" is just such an odd thing to say.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:04 pm

With The Sky Below My Feet wrote:Like, who actually believes that any company would pay any significant amount of money to distribute good vibes about a game on the forum of a long established community? One that'll continue existing with EE or without it, as long as there are willing Devs and Admins and we somehow manage compatibility.
EE doesn't have content. Arelith is EE's content. It's why it's been featured in lots of EE marketing and was involved/is still involved in the development.

People are being pushed to Arelith.

That's fantastic.

Of course that does mean if people see mixed or negative reviews about EE on Arelith, that it is bad for Beamdog. Arelith's reception of it has also been quite different from other parts of the NWN community, but that may be sour grapes over being prioritised by Beamdog.

Ultimately I agree with a lot of what Peppermint is saying. Especially this
Peppermint wrote:I'd be far more concerned if players didn't show any skepticism. Apathy will do nothing to push the industry forward or foster the community's trust.
That said, PM's of that nature are entirely uncalled for. I'm sure the forum moderators will take a hard stance.

And - it's good to see you're having fun!
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:44 pm

As I stated before the EE Arelith module has been made, by myself (with help from the team, especially Mithreas, Septire and Yellowcateyes) because I felt, very strongly, that the main thing lacking with EE would be actual new game content.

For myself, if I purchase a new game, I like to have something 'new' to play, and I took it upon myself to provide exactly that to our community. This wasn't done at Beamdog's request, and I get no payment of any kind from them.

Contrary to popular belief I have very little contact with the staff there, and one error in the PCGamer article was naming me as being on their 'Advisory Council', which I don't believe I am.

Arelith - Distant Shores has worked out really well, and I believe has the right level of professionalism and scope to provide our players with something concrete in return for their purchase, irrespective of what improvements are made to the base game.

I'm glad it is being enjoyed by those on HeadStart, and they are themselves doing us a great favour by essentially playtesting this before EE goes to formal release.

But to be absolutely clear, I am not Beamdog, and any concerns/suggestions criticisms made here simply will not reach them; Beamdog has their own NWN forums - please use it. This thread is not a discussion of EE, but simply an enthusiastic player posting about new Arelith content.

Konni

Post by Konni » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:46 pm

OP has no PC's on the scry tool, so it's obvious they're shilling for the DEV's on payroll.

We get it, you want us to buy EE. It was clear the first forty times.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:52 pm

Konni wrote:OP has no PC's on the scry tool, so it's obvious they're shilling for the DEV's on payroll.

We get it, you want us to buy EE. It was clear the first forty times.
Cihparg's playerlist doesn't cover the EE server, which it's pretty clear is the server OP is playing on.

SEXYCOCKROACHES

Post by SEXYCOCKROACHES » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:55 pm

If it doesn't cover the EE server, then why does the OP speak about the original server as if they know it fondly? Did OP just make a new account for the EE server, or...?
We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.
-Winston Churchill

"I used to play a ****load of chess back when I was a lil runt, and being white really is a massive advantage." -Endag

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:58 pm

I just cannot believe, after all this time that any regular player of this server think we 'pay out' for positive feedback. Checking people's play background is also decidedly creepy.

As for the player making the post it is up to them if they wish to give their background as an Arelith player, which clearly they are. Likely they made the forum account via EE, with the username there. They are after all inviting people to play alongside them.
SEXYCOCKROACHES wrote:If it doesn't cover the EE server, then why does the OP speak about the original server as if they know it fondly? Did OP just make a new account for the EE server, or...?
Everyone has to, accounts on 1.69 don't carry over to EE.

Anyone making any similar posts with this manner of accusation will find themselves quickly banned from the forums.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:59 pm

SEXYCOCKROACHES wrote:If it doesn't cover the EE server, then why does the OP speak about the original server as if they know it fondly? Did OP just make a new account for the EE server, or...?
That's a requirement to play on the EE server.
Mithreas wrote:Account names: to prevent people nabbing each other's account names, you won't be able to use any account name that has been used on the main server.
This is getting into weird conspiracy theory territory, guys.

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:00 pm

I've just banned several people for their behaviour regarding this thread. We're not going to sit and watch players and devs being falsely accused here.

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:01 pm

There's a difference between paranoia and scepticism. What's more likely:

- Enthusiastic and naive new player joins and posts about having fun?

- Devs who have worked for years, unpaid, to bring you free entertainment, conspire with Beamdog, a company clearly rolling in millions of dollars from selling their very niche remasters, to pull the wool over your eyes and somehow convince you to try the game based on one forum post that only players who play Arelith will see - the very same players who will have to move over regardless of how they feel about EE in the future if they wish to keep playing Arelith, so in the end it wouldn't even matter?

Come on, folks. You're not dumb. That isn't scepticism. It's trolling and/or paranoia and everybody knows it. I know being a contrarian is the in thing right now but don't you think you're taking it a little far?