Adventures of NWN:EE!

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Horrid Wilting Revolver

Adventures of NWN:EE!

Post by Horrid Wilting Revolver » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:55 pm

Hello! I'm here to discuss the Arelith NWN:EE Server that I've been playing and testing with my friend Nordic Fish Juice! Kudos to him!

To my knowledge there are some players who haven't bought the NWN:EE and visited the Test Server either out of lack of interest or their darned couch just won't cough up that $20. In either case, I thought I would offer my experiences and opinions regarding my playtime there to offer insight.

I'll apologize in advance if I rant a little. Some of this is regarding the Enhanced Edition changes. Some of it regards specifically the Test Server, which I'll take this moment to clarify that the Test Server isn't a copy of Regulith. There is no Cordor, it's a new island off the coast (I think). So if your curious or interested, read on!

Dungeons & Dragons - Maps & Monsters!
THERE IS SO MUCH! On Regulith I was used to performing full clears of Large Areas and encountering 3-5 spawns of maybe 4-6 enemies per spawn. Also, the largest area you could explore was as big as the toolset allowed as a Large Grid Area, meaning the biggest areas in Arelith on the Map were the maximum size a single area could be. Thanks to Beamdog and their Enhanced Edition, we now have MUCH larger areas. In-game your mini-map will actually scroll to show it all if your zoomed in. The number of spawns is also improved! My friend and I find ourselves encountering 6+ spawns of 5-8 enemies each group as we explore. A run through an area controlled by Gnolls had us fighting over a dozen, literally more than 12, groups of gnolls throughout the massive area which was a well designed Mountain.

As much as this is great for our amusment, experience pool, and loot; it comes with risks. On more than one occassion my friend and I have started attacking one group, only to have our pets run off to attack another group that we hadn't noticed yet. This makes it much easier to get surrounded, outnumbered, and overwhelmed. Thanks to the update by Mithreas and Irongron from 22 September 2017, we can't lure enemies anymore so you pull one, you pull 'em all! (I'm not complaining, just mentioning it) Getting ambushed by 1 or 2 groups when going through area transitions can, and often is, lethal! You've been warned. Where on Regulith the hunt for the enemy is often monotonous and boring, the Enhanced Edition offers no end to the hack and slash fans everywhere!

Graphics!
As we were told and expected, the graphic options of the Enhanced Edition were supersized. The options menus got an overhaul and have a whole new slew of available customizations to optimize your view and playing experience. Admittedly, my wittle-old labtop isn't quite up to par to make the most out of these options; but even without it I've noticed a significant improvement to color and detail quality in the world and my range of vision and the game's field depth is drastically more amazing. I can't wait to buy a new gaming rig and really make the most of what the Enhanced Edition offers.

Skaljard!
Growing up one of my favorite movies was "The 13th Warrior" starring Antoneo Bandares. I've always loved norse mythology and lore. So it was with great joy for me when I logged onto the test server and beheld the Village of Skaljard! ARELITH HAS VIKINGS!!!

Our poor little fisherman's village offers a bonechilling feeling of the challenges the new island has to offer to the adventurous roleplayers of Arelith. Creaky wood buildings, moody villagers, and rustic architecture all heavily dusted under snow. It feels cramped. An entire village that symbolizes huddling around the fire to stay warm. The DEVs didn't hold back and gave us rough and tough NPCs that don't sugar-coat the harsh living when you ask them questions about the area.

This place wasn't just slapped together real quick to offer a speedy test area for the Enhanced Edition either. Kudos and a million thanks to our DEVs for the time they put into it. The NPCs will clue you in on history and background for the village's past. Namely the Founder's Caves, you will find collapsed or blocked off cave entrances littering the hillside surrounding the village that offer a realistic visual to the years this village has been around. Properly built and fully operational, this poor little village is your base of operations for any endeavours outside the gates... If there were gates at least.

The militia complain about the cold and openly fantasize about getting a warm bowl of stew when their shifts end. Their equipment is shoddy, at best, and they look the part. Similar to the meat vendor of Cordor, as a new twist, an elven ranger in the middle of town with a kennel of Winter Wolves offers to buy hides off players while the cook in the local tavern, The Longhouse, will buy meats. Hidden in the back of the Blacksmith's shop is a fighters ring, which imo looks more or less forgotten by the non-adventuring citizens of Skaljard.

In the center of town is perhaps the best, in my opinion, inclusion the DEVs gave us. The Shrine to the Furies. Our very own Pastor Ap Owen explains to us that even though the villagers offer their religious services to the evil dieties; Talos, Auril, Malar, and Umbrulee that we are not an evil community. We're a desperate one. Living in the harsh and unforgiving enviroment they are in they pray to the Furies for protection from the blizzards, storms, and beasts of their island home. It's all about survival here. "May the Furies protect you."

Perhaps the only thing that disappointed me about Skaljard was the lack of government or settlement settings for me to commit myself to. Admittedly I must acknowledge that Skaljard is still new and that this is a test server, so that shouldn't be surprising. However! Consider this my vote to keep the place around and let us really invest in it in the future! I love this town!
This I Will Defend!

Skal!
The island of Skal, where our NWN:EE Test Server takes place, consists of unforgiving Frozen Tundra and Haunted Forests. Snow and Ice covers everything, inside and out, even the caves underground are cold. I've found myself sitting a 70 degree room with two layers and a hot cocoa next to me as I play just because our DEVs did such a GREAT JOB making the enviroment, not just look, but feel like what it's meant to be.

The Ghostwood is a prime example. Carefully placed lighting and sound effects with more than a few handfuls of mist and fog visuals makes this forest completely creepy. If the Druids and Paladins of Regulith saw this they'd freak! With the Enhanced Edition graphics and new map depth and range this haunted forest offers adventurers a really good experience of travelling through a forest that normal people wouldn't be caught dead in... or rather that's probably the only way they would be found in it. :P Again, Kudos to our DEVs. The Ghostwood was a great creativity dump and I've thoroughly enjoyed exploring every inch of it! And of course, Undead are Included!

The Frozen Tundra is exactly what you might expect it to be. A vast ocean of Snow and Ice. White as far as the ice can see. I'll try to emphasize again, FAR! The Enhanced Edition lets you see pretty far out there with a wider range of vision and the frozen tundra, felt to me, like the DEVs method of showing it off. What few structures you find have long been buried under snow and the huge rothe that roam this tundra give it a very "Ice Age" feel. I'll let you know if I find Sid.

From what I've explored outside town so far, the island of Skal offers no shortage of wilderness to explore. From great mountains to vast plains. Thick forests to intricate caverns. Perhaps the only thing we haven't found out there ... is an friendly NPC. :shock:

Dangerous Enemies!
I found it highly appropriate for the enemies my friend and I have been fighting to be as nasty as they have been. Elemental arrows are everywhere, and they hurt. Stealthy cats with sneak attack. Birds, Drakes, and Dragons swoop in out of no where. The bigger they are... the longer it takes to whittle through their HP pool. As dangerous as the NPCs in Skaljard suggested exploring this island was, the DEVs delivered. The beasties on Skal will certainly challenge you and make you stop running 24/7 to plan and strategize before proceeding.

Entering area transitions has become a dangerous thing when you combine the sheer number of spawns with their effectiveness. When the Mayor of Skaljard said "Goblins north of town" I expected it to be the equivalent of the Bramble Woods. I was dead wrong. These are some Beefy Gobos! The island of Skal is all about survival of the fittest, and the monsters on this island demonstrate it well.

Resources!
The untamed wilderness of Skal offers a vast amount of resources to find and gather. I've found most everything I need within spitting distance of the village; but getting them is no joke. The enemies of Skal like to pace and move around when they are idle. You'll clear the immediate area, be half way through your coal vein, when the roaming NPC Enemy decided he wanted to "Open" that particular coal vein. Plants, minerals, and timber are everywhere, but be prepared to fight for every stick and stone.

When I first heard about the NWN:EE, I was skeptic. I thought that a couple graphic updates wouldn't make much of a difference. I gladly admit that I was wrong. Beamdog gave Arelith's Developers and Scripters an inch ... And they took off with the Mile for it! The server has some great areas, awesome monsters, and rich NPCs. I can't wait to see what else they have in store for us if/and/or/when the official launch/conversion happens.

My friend and I have had no shortage of enjoyment adventuring on Skal. We've run into some mechanical issues which we've made available knowledge to DMs and hope to assist with further if we can. In the meantime, the Enhanced Edition Test Server and Skal has a lot more to offer us and we aren't done exploring yet.

If you have questions, feel free to ask. This is a discussion thread after all. If I don't know something, I'll see if I can find out!

Feedback Thread: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=16235#p136245
Bug Thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16230#p136203
Last edited by Horrid Wilting Revolver on Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mazeofthorns

Re: Adventures of NWN:EE!

Post by mazeofthorns » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:36 pm

I worried that you can't pull one or two enemies. Worried for the archers and mages -- anyone who specializes in being a distance hitter. Not to mention it's a battle tactic I use frequently with all my characters. I would like to strongly urge the dev team to reconsider keeping it so you don't pull ALL of the spawn when you get the attention of just one.
KALYIN -- "Black Cobra will aid your injuries should you stand close.... or he may strike you, depending on mood."

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:39 pm

mazeofthorns wrote:I worried that you can't pull one or two enemies. Worried for the archers and mages -- anyone who specializes in being a distance hitter. Not to mention it's a battle tactic I use frequently with all my characters. I would like to strongly urge the dev team to reconsider keeping it so you don't pull ALL of the spawn when you get the attention of just one.
For less intelligent/less pack-working enemies,it actually works this way, in that archery will more likely only pull a little.

But for more intelligent/pack working enemies, it makes a lot more sense they go together, which is what happens.

For archery you can always shoot and run and shoot again, so there are still other tactics available.

This has been the way its set on regular Arelith presently either, so there isn't any real change between the two. Skal IMO feels more dangerous because of the rugged terrain, the open-ness, and the sheer unpredictability of what may come at you.

My only criticism which has nothing to do with the module but NWN EE itself is the frame-rate drops I've had on occasion, which I can't wait for a fix so I can play there more with a stable experience.
Please don't feed my sister.

Ramza

Post by Ramza » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:46 pm

Well, once again I really recommend that people take this with a truckload of salt. Then again with the way its worded and how pushy it is in its message most folk will realize anyway. Still, you came on a bit strong there boy.

Hesitation marks

Post by Hesitation marks » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:48 pm

I don't get it. The first time you posted this, it was called out with (not entirely inaccurate) repeated memes about how disingenuous it read, and the thread got nuked, and now it's back? Wat?

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:50 pm

It was accidentally removed when the trolling posts were removed. Do not degrade the integrity of feedback with memes and trolling. Positively contributing is welcome - which means concerns, criticism and such is welcome (just done respectfully).

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:52 pm

Yeah, seems like it's not disingenuous so much as no one here is used to people being really excited without it being a joke somehow, anymore. So, good job on that one, us. How 'bout we let people enjoy things.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Horrid Wilting Revolver

Post by Horrid Wilting Revolver » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:06 pm

One Two Three Five wrote:Yeah, seems like it's not disingenuous so much as no one here is used to people being really excited without it being a joke somehow, anymore. So, good job on that one, us. How 'bout we let people enjoy things.
Stole the words out of my mouth. Thank you!

Yeah, sorry if I seem pushy. I was having a lot of fun and went to post my bug thread and got carried away.

Also, fyi, I'm not Beamdog. DMs, ty for the backup. Can't have nay-sayers cramming my good mood. Keep doing what your doing! ARELITH FOR THE WIN!

Aftond

Post by Aftond » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:19 pm

Wall of text posts aren't uncommon here on the forums, especially about things people like. But it's odd when an account that has been made the same day, with a name I've never seen before make a huge post about how great something is. How can you know if a stranger is being geniune?

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:21 pm

It's almost like somebody might want to register to post a thread about how they were enjoying something??? WHAT IN TARNATION! This gotta be a conspiracy! Only update whining threads allowed it seems!

Sorry about the bad first impression, Horrid Wilting Revolver. The forums can be a bit unrepresentative of the game at times. Glad you're having so much fun!

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:37 pm

I think part of the reason you might be seeing much larger spawns on EE server is because there are much fewer people playing there, and by effect, the population script (if its active) is doing its job and raising the enemy numbers. On regulith, most areas get farmed near constantly just because there is so much more people playing, and so the population script responds appropriately, making smaller spawns cause the bad guys are constantly getting their butts kicked. Transition spawns have always been a problem on regulith, though.

That said, yes, I like the areas and the lore thats being created around them. One of my favorite spots is the barrows below the ghostwood.

And yeah, I notice framrate drops occasionally too, though nothing too gamebreaking.

When it comes to your summons running off, thats also always been a danger. It just behooves one to keep a close rein on their companions. If you see them start to dart off, right click them or their party-portrait as fast as you can and hit "Follow". Hopefully the Player Tool will be put back in soonish, that should fix a lot of the summons-control issues. There's just a few things in the NWNX that aren't working because some components of it haven't been updated for EE, is my understanding.

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

Horrid Wilting Revolver

Post by Horrid Wilting Revolver » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:39 pm

-.-* You can't use prior account names to play on the NWN:EE Server, so I had to make a new one. Hence you wouldn't recognize it.

The account was made on the forum 'Today' because I didn't bother to use the -forum_password command until now because I never had a reason to post anything on the forum before.

I've been playing as Horrid Wilting Revolver on the NWN:EE Server for 2 weeks now as Asvindr Drifter, Human Ranger.

My "Wall of Text" post was the result of 2 weeks of pent up excitement being spontaneously released. As I said earlier, I got carried away. Apologies you had to read more than a single sentence.

Horrid Wilting Revolver

Post by Horrid Wilting Revolver » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:42 pm

I didn't mean to sound like I'm complaining. I like the challenges. Please don't take this the wrong way, as seems to happen, CragOrion, but I hope your wrong. I really like the raise in mobs in the areas. It makes the grind for exp not only bearable, but a lot of fun. Wholeheartedly agree though, yes, I really hope the player tool gets fixed soon.

Area Transition Ambushes and Pet's Running Off aren't something I'm unfamiliar with either. It's just a lot more critical than before when there are so many more mobs to worry about. It's exciting!

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:46 pm

Try not to let the trolls get to you, they just love sapping the fun out of everything for as many people as they can. I get on EE from time to time and will look for you. My login there is OrionNotGrix (Cause I'm not Grix, dammit! :p @ CragOneEye)

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

Horrid Wilting Revolver

Post by Horrid Wilting Revolver » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:50 pm

I'll be looking for you!

The lack of PC Interactions is kind of a let down. I've never seen more than 4 ppl on a time (2 of which are me and my friend). On the other hand, the lack of PC Interaction distractions opens up my time to explore and level up so I don't mind either way.

As for the rest of you, COME PLAY WITH US! There's a whole untamed wilderness eager to kick your butt! HaHaHaHa!

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:52 pm

Never feel like you have to apologize for being excited about a game. I'm glad to hear that your having fun!

As silly as this sounds, is it possible to get a screenshot or two of your travels? I'd love to see the places like the tundra. I'm a real sucker for tundras, I swear. Nothing spoilering, just something pretty!

SteelsSweets
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by SteelsSweets » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:01 pm

Start your own screenshots thread! That is why I suggested the forum be made in the first place. Start a personal thread for whatever or a thread with a subject. Have fun with it!
Discord: SteelsSweets#4815

Adjustments

Post by Adjustments » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:46 pm

Literally as soon as the server updates to the latest Head Start (I stupidly updated immediately and can't figure out how to roll back X.x) I'll be in game, player name Glow Cabal, trying to figure out how a True Flamer can survive in this harsh and brutal winter wonderland. :D

Horrid Wilting Revolver

Post by Horrid Wilting Revolver » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:58 pm

Ill make an effort of getting some screenshots going. :)

Good luck with the true flamer. My advice is dress up warm.

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:00 pm

Glad you're having so much fun! Hope many others will join and feel similar!

And to the people that somehow see conspiracy's in someone taking the time to post a long and positive feedback, I'm not sure how to say this politely in english. But something is really twisted and wrong if this is the natural response to a thread like this.

Adjustments

Post by Adjustments » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:06 pm

I like a challenge. Even a suicidal challenge. My first TF attempt on Skaljard was fun, if a bit disastrous. But somehow - with some lucky rolls - I managed not to die!
... Let's just say I'll be looking for some friends. lol.
And aside from the amazing setting (close to my heart) and the small, but much-appreciated changes I've already noticed from EE, I must say -
The quest system is super cool! Too bad it's max 3 per RL day, you burn through that in a dedicated hour or less! Well at least at lower levels..... :O

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:07 pm

What do you mean TFs need to dress warm? They can just warm up with fireballs. :^)
20 RPR GANG

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:08 pm

Hey Horrid. I've spent the last months working flat out making this, and was really thrilled to read your post; glad you're enjoying it!

As for the difficulty, the whole module is far more action based than Arelith is used to, and very much designed for party play. I hope you find some people to play alongside.

kainshots

Post by kainshots » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:18 pm

This post has made me super excited to try out the EE version. So i'll be on over there once I can get the dang EE to download. Stuck at 0 b/s for hours.

Adjustments

Post by Adjustments » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:21 pm

kainshots: Are you certain you're not trying to DL the actual game instead of the Head Start version?

In case you don't know, you can change to the beta Head Start by clicking the 'English' under the game title, it's a drop-down.
I hope that's your problem instead of just bad internet!